O’Neil: After cutting sports, UConn needs to focus its future on basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

O’Neil: After cutting sports, UConn needs to focus its future on basketball

Reaction Score
Could you show me this documentation? A cursory search of my own indicates otherwise.

Holy Cross Rutgers turned down invites. Pitt wasn’t a part of league.

UConn would never be in if holy cross said yes? Swear that is the legend anyway. Maybe not right?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is more like what i heard as well, that with PC in the fold and running things with the BE HQ and so on, Gavitt didn’t want the league to seem too NE-centric. So the last spot was between BC, BU, & HC. We were never a question mark since we hopped on the BE train quickly.

Maybe this is right. Not how I remember Toner telling it. Perhaps I am mistaken.

Reaction Score
For someone who has reported the Big East as long as as Dara Pennet O'Neil has, claiming UConn was added because of Holy Cross is a real stumble on her part.

Gavitt wanted UConn regardless of Holy Cross' institutional myopia, then and now.

Reaction Score
I would imagine UConn would have been extended an offer eventually as a charter member or soon after. Gavitt was a very good friend of Dee Rowe who was part of the Worcester connection. Gavitt coached under Rowe at Worcester Academy and also named him an assistant coach of the 1980 Olympic team.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom