Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
BTW, we're all probably hungry for info on the team. The AAC's media day is scheduled for Thursday in NYC. Geno will be joined by KML, Kiah, Breanna and Moriah. The conference preseason stuff won't be that interesting but hopefully we'll get some news on practice, freshmen, etc. Good to see Kiah part of the group. Build up her confidence.

Also, the AP preseason poll will be released on Thursday. I expect the WBCA coaches' poll to be released this week as well though I'm not sure which day.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Oh no! The Violets are competition for my alma mater, University of Chicago. It looks like NYU and Chicago finished joint second in the league last year. Can't have them getting a leg up with know-how from Geno!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
BTW, we're all probably hungry for info on the team. The AAC's media day is scheduled for Thursday in NYC. Geno will be joined by KML, Kiah, Breanna and Moriah. The conference preseason stuff won't be that interesting but hopefully we'll get some news on practice, freshmen, etc. Good to see Kiah part of the group. Build up her confidence.

Also, the AP preseason poll will be released on Thursday. I expect the WBCA coaches' poll to be released this week as well though I'm not sure which day.
Will the Huskies be a unanimous #1? I predict 1-2 votes for ND or SC, based on regional bias or just plain stupidity. :)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Will the Huskies be a unanimous #1? I predict 1-2 votes for ND or SC, based on regional bias or just plain stupidity. :)

I'm thinking it will not be unanimous in either poll though I expect the other #1 votes to go to SC and not ND as the latter lost just as much to graduation as UConn.

Reaction Score
Oh no! The Violets are competition for my alma mater, University of Chicago. It looks like NYU and Chicago finished joint second in the league last year. Can't have them getting a leg up with know-how from Geno!

NYU is my alma mater and ironically my 2nd choice was University of Chicago. I LOVED my visit there...gorgeous campus. But when I sat in on a class, all the students (though very friendly) warned me, "Don't come here! You'll have no social life!" No regrets but U. Chicago will always have a special place in my heart.

Anyway, if you look at the NYU all-time WBB records, you'll see a lot of the name "Wiggins." Indeed, Candice Wiggins's big sister played for the Violets.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Seems to me that Geno has been quieter this year about the shaking out of the team.
Really hasn't said a word in public since he said that the coach's weren't too impressed with the frosh.

I wonder what that means?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
NYU is my alma mater and ironically my 2nd choice was University of Chicago. I LOVED my visit there...gorgeous campus. But when I sat in on a class, all the students (though very friendly) warned me, "Don't come here! You'll have no social life!" No regrets but U. Chicago will always have a special place in my heart.

Anyway, if you look at the NYU all-time WBB records, you'll see a lot of the name "Wiggins." Indeed, Candice Wiggins's big sister played for the Violets.

The shame is that campus is most beautiful in the summer with the contrast of the ivy on the gothic stone buildings. In the (endless) Chicago winter, you lose the contrast and it's just gray on gray.

I don't have any cool factoids about Chicago basketball other than that we had a pretty good 2-3 years ago under now-Bucknell Head Coach Aaron Roussell (who could well be coaching a power 5 school in 10-15 years, very good coach).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Seems to me that Geno has been quieter this year about the shaking out of the team.
Really hasn't said a word in public since he said that the coach's weren't too impressed with the frosh.

I wonder what that means?
I think this is a standard quiet period for the coaching staff - Thursday is media day followed by the start of the exhibition games and the access will increase.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
The Maroons!!!

When I had more time, I was intimately acquainted with the powerful Violets and the upstart Maroons.

Ah, those were the days.... Sometimes being the big boss stinks...

Reaction Score

Didn't I read somewhere that UChicago is technically a member of the Big10?

Reaction Score

Wow! so we are all not dead or out to pasture. Following my gory days there, they did away with major sports. Hard to think back to the days when NYU and Manhattan C duked it out. Are they back into sports again- giving scholarships? Is the NYU team a club sport unit?

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
The shame is that campus is most beautiful in the summer with the contrast of the ivy on the gothic stone buildings. In the (endless) Chicago winter, you lose the contrast and it's just gray on gray.

I don't have any cool factoids about Chicago basketball other than that we had a pretty good 2-3 years ago under now-Bucknell Head Coach Aaron Roussell (who could well be coaching a power 5 school in 10-15 years, very good coach).

I am now having a homesick moment or two thinking about the beauty of U of C in the spring , summer and fall....didn't go there, but spent much time in my youth in Hyde Park, 57th Street Beach and the Point. A lovely time. I wonder if the Medici Coffee House and Book store is still on 57th Street? I miss Chicago muchly, but when the winter comes and the Hawk is whizzing down the lakefront, not so much....Thanks for the memories, O!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I am now having a homesick moment or two thinking about the beauty of U of C in the spring , summer and fall....didn't go there, but spent much time in my youth in Hyde Park, 57th Street Beach and the Point. A lovely time. I wonder if the Medici Coffee House and Book store is still on 57th Street? I miss Chicago muchly, but when the winter comes and the Hawk is whizzing down the lakefront, not so much....Thanks for the memories, O!

The Medici is very much still there! Now you're stirring my own memories...springtime beach picnics at the Point...

Reaction Score
Wow! so we are all not dead or out to pasture. Following my gory days there, they did away with major sports. Hard to think back to the days when NYU and Manhattan C duked it out. Are they back into sports again- giving scholarships? Is the NYU team a club sport unit?
In my years there, there was no basketball team and the only available gym had 3 foot pillars throughout the court. West Fourth Street was the place to play.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I doubt if that includes me. :rolleyes:

If I were to wander into practice I expect I would be politely told to get lost.
I have been from a men's practice. They let me hang around a good five minutes though. I'd love to watch one Auriema's practices.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
In my years there, there was no basketball team and the only available gym had 3 foot pillars throughout the court. West Fourth Street was the place to play.

NYU is a DIII school. From when I had copious time:

Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Division III rankings went topsy-turvey last week: the University of Chicago (16-0) soared from 5th into the top spot. This is the first time in the program's 36-year-history they've been ranked #1. U of C is one of only three undefeated teams in D-III and, in case you're wondering, plays in the University Athletic Association, a conference formed around schools with academic similarities (research-focused) and located in metropolitan areas. Next up for the Maroons? The Violets. Yes, this Friday they play fellow-conference member, and 12th-ranked, New York University (sometimes known as the Bobcats.)

A side note:
NYU is coached by Janice Quinn. A graduate of NYU in '85, Quinn double-majored in economics and metropolitan studies. She was also NYU's first 1,000-point scorer. Quinn became NYU's coach in 1987, went on to earn a master’s degree in finance and management, and guided her team to a National Championship in 1997. In her spare time, Quinn also serves as NYU's Associate Director of Athletics. Interestingly enough, it is not unusual to find D-III, D-II and NAIA coaches with post-graduate degrees and additional management or professorial responsibilites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom