NYU WBB team watched UConn practice | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NYU WBB team watched UConn practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Maroons!!!

When I had more time, I was intimately acquainted with the powerful Violets and the upstart Maroons.

Ah, those were the days.... Sometimes being the big boss stinks...
whatamaroon.jpg

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Maroons.. eh...

I'm a Beaver, you're a Beaver, we are Beavers all.
And when we get together, we do the Beaver call.
E to the U du dx,
E to the X dx.
Cosine, secant, tangent, sine, 3.14159.
Integral radical mu dv
Slipstick, sliderule, MIT.
Go Tech!

Boo

Reaction Score
In my years there, there was no basketball team and the only available gym had 3 foot pillars throughout the court. West Fourth Street was the place to play.

I was at NYU from the mid-to-late aughts and Coles, located just above Houston with the entrance on Mercer, was the facility for hoops games. Not sure when it was built. Hardly state of the art (no air-conditioning) but quite large and I don't recall any pillars, lol. When I was there, there were whispers about converting Coles into more classrooms and doing away with sports. I'm sure that conversation comes up a lot at NYU and frankly I don't think it's such a bad idea as there simply isn't much interest among the general student population.

My freshman year, Duke's Lindsey Harding could be seen playing pickup with the guys as she lived in an NYU dorm one summer while interning in Manhattan. I had a friend/classmate who was a decent baller in HS out in Colorado (playing against Ann Strother, Liz Sherwood, the Waners) who was going to join the school team but after watching a game completely lost interest due to the level of play. But she made a heckuva intramural teammate!

Indeed, West 4th Street was always poppin'. I met some awesome D-I girls from NYC and home for the summer break playing there. I did a photography project for an elective class of women's hoops players and they were great. A couple are still playing pro overseas and I believe one is moving up the coaching ranks, currently at St. John's.

Ahh, college nostalgia. I definitely miss The Village, but I'm stuck in some boring provincial town called San Francisco for now :-P. Planning to eventually move back to Manhattan, though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was at NYU from the mid-to-late aughts and Coles, located just above Houston with the entrance on Mercer, was the facility for hoops games. Not sure when it was built. Hardly state of the art (no air-conditioning) but quite large and I don't recall any pillars, lol. When I was there, there were whispers about converting Coles into more classrooms and doing away with sports. I'm sure that conversation comes up a lot at NYU and frankly I don't think it's such a bad idea as there simply isn't much interest among the general student population.

My freshman year, Duke's Lindsey Harding could be seen playing pickup with the guys as she lived in an NYU dorm one summer while interning in Manhattan. I had a friend/classmate who was a decent baller in HS out in Colorado (playing against Ann Strother, Liz Sherwood, the Waners) who was going to join the school team but after watching a game completely lost interest due to the level of play. But she made a heckuva intramural teammate!

Indeed, West 4th Street was always poppin'. I met some awesome D-I girls from NYC and home for the summer break playing there. I did a photography project for an elective class of women's hoops players and they were great. A couple are still playing pro overseas and I believe one is moving up the coaching ranks, currently at St. John's.

Ahh, college nostalgia. I definitely miss The Village, but I'm stuck in some boring provincial town called San Francisco for now :-P. Planning to eventually move back to Manhattan, though.

I preceded you by 35 years or so. The gym was in one of the buildings off Waverly Place up on the third or fourth floor. The pillars made fast breaks problematic but were good for rubbing off the defender. Highlight of my time at West 4th was when one of the guys picking up teams said, referring to me, "take the white guy- he can shoot." As for nostalgia, one of my unofficial roommates- he slept on the floor- was the doorman at the Fillmore East. 'Nuff said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom