NYT on Fox Sports | The Boneyard

NYT on Fox Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tom Jolly (@TomJolly)
3/4/13, 10:20 PM
Fox set to announce new network it sees as rival for ESPN:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/05/s...ge-espn.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3&smid=tw-share&

"But two decades after shaking up the sports broadcasting world for the first time by acquiring N.F.L. rights, Murdoch has plans to challenge ESPN head on and claim some of the lucrative revenue that the sports media giant has had largely to itself for more than three decades.

On Tuesday, Fox will announce its intention to start Fox Sports 1, an all-sports network, in August."

Reaction Score
Tom Jolly (@TomJolly)
3/4/13, 10:20 PM
Fox set to announce new network it sees as rival for ESPN:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/05/s...ge-espn.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3&smid=tw-share&

"But two decades after shaking up the sports broadcasting world for the first time by acquiring N.F.L. rights, Murdoch has plans to challenge ESPN head on and claim some of the lucrative revenue that the sports media giant has had largely to itself for more than three decades.

On Tuesday, Fox will announce its intention to start Fox Sports 1, an all-sports network, in August."

Blah. I hope it blows up in his face.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Seeing as how our dopey asses will likely be on Fox fairly often, I would quite rather it not.

Reaction Score
Seeing as how our dopey asses will likely be on Fox fairly often, I would quite rather it not.

Hope not. I don't have access to it unless it drops to the ESPN range (30s on my cable). SNY is 27.

Reaction Score
How so? We just re upped with espn I thought?

Reaction Score
ESPN plans on selling extra games to Fox and NBC.
Hmnnnnn. So Fox plans on going head to head espn, and espn's plan is to assist them in providing content? Who negotiated that deal on behalf of Espn, the people who run the big east?

Sounds dopey to me, but I don't have slightest idea on how,those type of things work.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hope not. I don't have access to it unless it drops to the ESPN range (30s on my cable). SNY is 27.

Do you get the Speed Channel? It's on the extended basic tier on Cox. When they make the switch, I hope they keep Dumbest Stuff on Wheels.

Reaction Score
Do you get the Speed Channel? It's on the extended basic tier on Cox. When they make the switch, I hope they keep Dumbest Stuff on Wheels.

No, I don't. I have Time Warner in upstate NY.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Hmnnnnn. So Fox plans on going head to head espn, and espn's plan is to assist them in providing content? Who negotiated that deal on behalf of Espn, the people who run the big east?

Sounds dopey to me, but I don't have slightest idea on how,those type of things work.

Fox isn't gonna steal any market share from ESPN on any games it buys from ESPN.

Reaction Score

its been written about.... ESPN only has so many slots to broadcast games. They just picked up this league for well below market value and will gladly sell some games to FOX in the spirit of making a profit.

I don't think you'll see a #5 Uconn vs #10 Memphis on Fox however.

Reaction Score
I'll be at the Fox Sports presentation today and will report back anything interesting I hear.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Not much to report. St Johns player used in their sizzle reel at the beginning.

They briefly mentioned that they were in negotiations for college basketball content. Not ready to announce anything yet but, "guarantee it will be a 'beast.'"

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Not much to report. St Johns player used in their sizzle reel at the beginning.

They briefly mentioned that they were in negotiations for college basketball content. Not ready to announce anything yet but, "guarantee it will be a 'beast.'"

You should have asked him if by "beast," did he mean the Catholic schools? And after he said yes, you should have loudly snored and said, "PASS."

Reaction Score
You should have asked him if by "beast," did he mean the Catholic schools? And after he said yes, you should have loudly snored and said, "PASS."

Didn't have to. He added, "You guys got the joke right? '

Reaction Score

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
To feed the ESPN rumor mill, Fox and ESPN were partners for 16 years in Asia with the co-branded ESPN Star Sports. Star is Murdoch's company.

Together they were 50/50 partners. Last Summer Fox/Star bought out ESPN Disney.

Read between the lines.

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-sports/article3497298.ece

• ESPN Southeast Asia
  • ESPN Southeast Asia 2
  • ESPN Malaysia
  • ESPN Indonesia (Indovision)
  • ESPN Philippines
  • ESPN China
  • ESPN Hong Kong
  • ESPN Taiwan
  • ESPN India
  • ESPN Pakistan
  • STAR Sports Southeast Asia
  • STAR Sports Singapore & Indonesia-Other
  • STAR Sports Thailand & Vietnam
  • STAR Sports Malaysia
  • STAR Sports Indonesia (Indovision)
  • STAR Sports China
  • STAR Sports Hong Kong
  • STAR Sports Taiwan
  • STAR Sports India
  • STAR Cricket India
  • STAR Cricket HD
  • ESPNews Asia
  • ESPNews India
  • ESPN HD Asia
  • ESPN HD Malaysia
  • ESPN HD Taiwan
  • ESPN HD India
  • SBS ESPN
  • ESPN Player (available in Singapore, Hong Kong, and Malaysia

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
We know the idiots overpaid for College Sports.

Now let's see who Disney sells ESPN to when the a la carte pricing wars start and the fur flies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom