NYT Article on Connecticut Situation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NYT Article on Connecticut Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UConn9604

Actually UConn/Vandy considerations are part of the talk, just in a slightly different way. Vandy insists on UConn as their homecoming opponent every year and to get the rest of the conference to go along is threatening to leak the "student athlete" payrolls of Bama, LSU, FL, & GA to Wikileaks.

I'd play Vandy on Homecoming every year if they all turned out like this Homecoming game:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=302750041

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
There is literally not one current SEC team that would agree to play a football game north of Virginia after September.
Awwww crap....that mean Syracuse is going to get the invite to the SEC over us because of the Dome??? :confused:

Reaction Score
Please guys get with the program.
One of the reasons Louisville was picked by the ACC over us was the probability Louisville would go to the Big 12.
The ACC pretty much said they had UConn in their back pocket if they needed us.
Its a little late now but UConn did a lousy job of self promotion. I know from years of experence that to get a person or group to arrive a favorable outcome, creating a fear that another outcome would be detrimental to them will influence that outcome.
It believe you call this cognitive dissonance. If we wanted to get into the ACC we should have been floating all kind of scenerios were we going to the any other conference but them.
The ACC actually would be damaged if we went to the B1G, not as much if we went to thee SEC or B12.
Connecticut from a logistic and destination sense is an incredible pickup.
Being compact and surrounded by major markets is what we should be selling.
Past athletic success is fine but its not the chief commodity to sell.
It more about future than past.
So don't be negative about any story were UConn goes to a major conference.
PS I think the PAC12 would be a great fit but I live in AZ.
Also remember the 2014 NCAA tourney is in Dallas.
Wouldn't that be home turf for us. Just saying.

Reaction Score
I believe the 1982-1983 team beat Georgetown on their home court.
PE freashman year.
I also want to correct the belief that UConn was somekind of doormat prior to the Big East
We had a great basketball tradition. Many Yankee conference titles (beating some good Rhody and Dr J Umass teams on the way )
We had a final 8 and a sweet sixteen. We actually were in the 1979 NCAA tourney losing to Cuse by 3 or 4 points.

BC,Providence, Syracuse, and Georgetown were all in the ECAC conference for a few years with us.
I believe Tony Hansons team actually won the New England Division in 1977.
That team beat Cuse at Manley Field House stopping a 50+ game home winning streak there.
I have been following UConn basketball since Worthy Pattersons days
His team actually beat the only New England superpower Holy Cross.(they were National Champs in the late 40's)
PC wasn't on the map until a kid from Hartford Weaver put them their in the late 50's.
All the Big East teams had some basketball history but there were no superpowers.

Reaction Score
I mean, it would be stupid, but I'd be happy.

For ts and giggles, who would they add with us?

I saw on ESPN that the Vermont Catamounts would be UConn's likely partner to join the SEC. Why go after just the Boston/NYC markets when you can get NYC, Boston AND Montpelier!!

Reaction Score
Hmmm, I dont really get in on this realignment stuff but hear me out on this. Yes, this whole SEC thing is really random but I think it would be a huge help to our football program. If...and thats a big if, we ever got invited to the SEC its pretty much a fact we would finish at the bottom of the league in football for the first 5 yrs or so. But at the same time I could see the UConn football program pulling a UConn basketball and climbing to the top over the next 25 years.

If we had Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia coming into the rent, that would inject a lot of life and interest into our program. I guarantee every home game would be a sellout. Playing our football games on CBS would give us a lot of exposure especially in SEC country where all the top recruits are. Jim Calhoun sold the program to recruits with the Big East and the teams they would play. With the right football coach, he could basically do the same thing. All of this would absolutely help getting better recruits into the program.

I give us a 5% chance of actually getting an invite but if we have learned anything from realignment, there is a 100% chance anything can happen.

Reaction Score
Maybe shot across the bow of big. Who knows what is going on behind scenes. Why espn, never did us any favors. Still love hearing us in the conversation

Reaction Score
Geez..some people in here have called me delusional for some of my thoughts but UConn to the SEC? Come on guys, lets get real here. Even if the Rent was replaced by a retractable roofed multipurpose domed stadium there is no chance, I repeat absolutely no chance that UConn will ever be in the SEC. Texas, Fla St, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Viginia Tech, WVU & Louisville maybe, but UConn? Some of you guys are grasping at anything but the reality is the ACC doesn't want UConn and neither does the B1G. Why in the world would anyone think the SEC would want anything but a non conference cupcake game in NYC with UConn? To make their basketball league better? Come on.....Miami would be there before us, or UNC.

We're in the best league we can be in for now so get used to it. UConn has a few years to build their football program in the new conference and that is exactly what is going to happen. When UConn puts a top 25 team on the field consistently then and only then will they be considered for an invite to a higher ranked football conference. That's the reality of the situation so get used to it. You can dream about the ACC or the B1G, even the SEC but sooner or later your going to have to wake up.

Reaction Score
Geez..some people in here have called me delusional for some of my thoughts but UConn to the SEC? Come on guys, lets get real here. Even if the Rent was replaced by a retractable roofed multipurpose domed stadium there is no chance, I repeat absolutely no chance that UConn will ever be in the SEC. Texas, Fla St, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Viginia Tech, WVU & Louisville maybe, but UConn? Some of you guys are grasping at anything but the reality is the ACC doesn't want UConn and neither does the B1G. Why in the world would anyone think the SEC would want anything but a non conference cupcake game in NYC with UConn? To make their basketball league better? Come on.....Miami would be there before us, or UNC.

We're in the best league we can be in for now so get used to it. UConn has a few years to build their football program in the new conference and that is exactly what is going to happen. When UConn puts a top 25 team on the field consistently then and only then will they be considered for an invite to a higher ranked football conference. That's the reality of the situation so get used to it. You can dream about the ACC or the B1G, even the SEC but sooner or later your going to have to wake up.

Guessing you missed most of the sarcasm in all this?

Reaction Score
The sarcasm, the cynicism, it's not constructive.

Reaction Score
The sarcasm, the cynicism, it's not constructive.

image.jpg

Reaction Score
For those who seem intent on making declarative statements like the "Big Ten doesn't want UConn", I wonder how it came to pass that they were authorized to speak for the Big Ten? Oh, wait minute. They aren't, and thankfully, they don't speak for the Big Ten. So carry on with the "make the best of it drivel".

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
UConn's position: We will leave right freaking now if anyone calls us.

I know it will never happen, but holy crap, I would be terrified at the prospects of our first few years of football in the SEC. Our injured list would be longer than the active roster.
We would go through similar problems if we landed in the BIG and we aren't going there either. Think Vanderbilt and Indiana.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The price for having rainbow smoke blown up your is a quivery sphincter today and distinct loss of friends in the future.

Reaction Score

Obviously, you aren't aware that we are playing Tennessee in 2015 and 2016 here and there.

Reaction Score
From the Texas A&M board about Uconn SEC rumor:

"Why does the ACC and B1G keep passing them over? They're as strong as anybody in basketball. They have made a commitment to make their football program respectable. They have a large alumni and cover the NY tri-state area. What am I missing?"

"In fairness, the AD didn't say that, it was just speculating by the writer. But I'm sure it's pretty close to the truth.
As for why has the ACC and Big Ten passed them over, each has their own reasons, but it's not like UCONN has a long history in football.
But specifically the ACC is unlikely to ever bring them in because UCONN through the biggest fit when the first wave of Big East schools went to the ACC. The state of Connecticut even filed a lawsuit to try and stop (it did stop Syracuse, who was replaced by VaTech).
Then you have the AAU "requirement" for the Big Ten. UCONN is fine academic fit, but conference affiliation also includes sharing research through the CIC and UCONN isn't a member of the AAU because they aren't a big research institution."

"I do not see why everyone would be so agaisnt UConn coming to the SEC. They are a great school with excellent acadmics, football history, amazing basketball and they hold the majority of the state.
There are politics at hand to why they did not get the B1G or ACC invite and it has nothing to do with the aforementioned. Would I want other schools than them? Hell yes I would but I would take UConn over Mizzou and that was our last member.
The true question is, Will anyone leave the ACC to start that wave? If not, the ACC may be ready to weather the storm."

What amazes me is that this "RUMOR" has people talking and that's exactly what this program needs!

http://tamu.247sports.com/Board/20/UConn-SEC-17398514/1

Thanks for the link "huskydemic" ;)

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I think when people get educated they are impressed by what is going on up here. This is a brief summary that I put together for the FSU fans (since they hurt us in the last round of expansion) and what I think we need to be getting out into the national consciousness. I think it really paints Cinci's 'plans' as a complete joke when compared to UConn's commitment to excellence:

Part 1/2

The University
1. The school is in the final phases of a $2.3 billion dollar infrastructure upgrades that started about 15 years ago. (Link)
2. On the back of this project, the school President and Governor have announced another $2.1 billion dollar investment in STEM fields with the goal of adding nearly 7,000 new undergraduates within 10 years. (Link)
2. The schools is entering phase 2 of what it is calling "Storrs Center" which is a dense apartment/restaurant center that the school has been lacking for many years and is really changing the character of the university. (Link)
3. Our medical school and Jackson labs have broken ground on a $750 million dollar research space to address genomics which will lead to the development of individualized pharmaceuticals based on your DNA. This will put the University and state ahead of virtually everyone in the world regarding this technology. (Link).
4. The school has just announced a 900,000 square foot technology part on its campus that will partner with regional IT and aerospace (CT is home to United Technologies) companies to develop new technology. The first phase of construction is scheduled to begin shortly. (Link)

Football Team
1. We have struggled the last two seasons, no doubt, but the school is making the investments needed to compete. And I would add that since making the jump to FBS UConn already has winning head-to-head records against the recent acquisitions of Pitt, UConn, and L'Ville (and beat L'Ville on the road this season, along with Maryland on the road).
2. We have a $48 million dollar practice football complex that is only a few years old and nearly everyone who has visited it places it in the top 10 nationally. (Link)
3. Our home stadium is relatively small (40,000 seats), but it already has footings in place to take it to 55,000 without any major investment (just as an aside - the Cinci project is smoke and mirrors and even with their expansion won't even be 40,000 seats), and from what I understand can get to 80,000. Just looking at the building will validate what I am saying. (Link) Also, if you have never visited for a tailgate it is among the best anywhere it terms of space and layout.
4. We are addressing the offensive issues this season - we brought over Cincinnati's wide receivers coach to run the offense, and brought in some pretty big (for us) QB recruits. Coupled with our defense (which is about to send another 4 players to the NFL this season) and we are cautiously optimistic.

M. Basketball
1. We are not falling off of our 3 National Titles in 12 years. We just finished a season with no chance of the BET or NCAA, hobbled by injury, short of scholarships and still won 20 games and would have qualified for the NCAA tournament (wins against Syracuse, MSU, Cinci, ND, etc.). We have some nice size coming in from NYC next season, added to the return of nearly the entire team and we are expecting to be a Top 10 team at the beginning of the season.
2. We have also just broken ground on a $35M practice basketball facility that will have separate wings for the men and the women. (Link - the intro gets me pysched :)

W. Basketball1. I am not going to try to sell anything here with this team, but they are incredibly well supported here, which if nothing else indicates the support for this university - also see the details on our market below.

M. Hockey

The University
1. The school is in the final phases of a $2.3 billion dollar infrastructure upgrades that started about 15 years ago. (Link)
2. On the back of this project, the school President and Governor have announced another $2.1 billion dollar investment in STEM fields with the goal of adding nearly 7,000 new undergraduates within 10 years. (Link)
2. The schools is entering phase 2 of what it is calling "Storrs Center" which is a dense apartment/restaurant center that the school has been lacking for many years and is really changing the character of the university. (Link)
3. Our medical school and Jackson labs have broken ground on a $750 million dollar research space to address genomics which will lead to the development of individualized pharmaceuticals based on your DNA. This will put the University and state ahead of virtually everyone in the world regarding this technology. (Link).
4. The school has just announced a 900,000 square foot technology part on its campus that will partner with regional IT and aerospace (CT is home to United Technologies) companies to develop new technology. The first phase of construction is scheduled to begin shortly. (Link)

Football Team1. We have struggled the last two seasons, no doubt, but the school is making the investments needed to compete. And I would add that since making the jump to FBS UConn already has winning head-to-head records against the recent acquisitions of Pitt, UConn, and L'Ville (and beat L'Ville on the road this season, along with Maryland on the road).
2. We have a $48 million dollar practice football complex that is only a few years old and nearly everyone who has visited it places it in the top 10 nationally. (Link)
3. Our home stadium is relatively small (40,000 seats), but it already has footings in place to take it to 55,000 without any major investment (just as an aside - the Cinci project is smoke and mirrors and even with their expansion won't even be 40,00 seats), and from what I understand can get to 80,000. Just looking at it you can validate what I am saying. (Link) Also, if you have never visited for a tailgate it is much better than nearly everyone is expecting.
4. We are addressing the offensive issues this season - we brought over Cincinatti's wide receivers coach to run the offense, and brought in some pretty big (for us) QB recruits. Coupled with our defense (which is about to send another 4 players to the NFL this season) and we are cautiously optimistic.

M. Basketball
1. We are not falling off of our 3 National Titles in 12 years. We just finished a season with no playoff change, hobbled by injury, short of scholarships and still won 20 games and would have qualified for the NCAA tournament (wins against Syracuse, MSU, Cinci, ND, etc.). We have some nice size coming in from NYC next season, coupled with this team and we are expecting to be a Top 10 team at the beginning of the season.
2. We have also just broken ground on a $35M practice basketball facility that will have separate wings for the men and the women. (Link - the intro gets me pysched :)

W. Basketball
1. I am not going to try to sell anything here with this team, but they are incredibly well supported here, which if nothing else indicates the support for this university - also see the details on our market below.

Olympic Sports
1. Our men's soccer team is consistently a Top 5 team (last championship was 2000), and is typically in the top 3 in attendance - last season they were #2. In fact, this season they would have been #1 in the country if not for the fact that our stadium (5,500 seats) was consistently sold out which constrained the number.
2. The university is in the process of developing an expansion not only for soccer, but for baseball (which nearly made the CWS and has sent a number of players to the pros) and softball as well. (Link).

About our Market
1. I think it is well known that the Hartford/New Haven market is #30 in the nation and that there is literally no competition for the University (thus the heavy investment in the school).
2. What I don't think is known is that 1/5 of Connecticut is not counted in the Hartford/New Haven DMA but is actually allocated to the NYC DMA. So without having to have any exposure in NYC (we do have it, addressed below) we literally bring part of NYC with us.
3. The above does not even mention that our school pullls from the Springfield, MA area, Rhode Island, Westchester County, NY and has a significant alumni presences in Boston which is only about 1:15 from campus.
4. UConn has nearly all of its sporting events picked up by Sportsnet New York which does pregame, post-game and coaches shows for every sport. And the numbers have been off the charts. To give you just one example - a midweek women's game against Georgetown (they are not good) drew an 8.52, against Syracuse a 9.1, beating virtually everything on TV in its slot except modern family which it barely lost out to (Link).
5. In fact, to further drive this point home, SNY taped delayed a Syracuse Men's game in NYC to air a UConn women's game. Why I think this is important is that any university who comes to visit will get prime-time play in the nations #1 market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom