Nyah Green Louisville Guard Enters Transfer Portal | The Boneyard

Nyah Green Louisville Guard Enters Transfer Portal

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Hmm. To my way of thinking, "Something is not right, seriously amiss, especially when leading to suspicion of motive." Yes, this is what leads up to Marcellus telling Horation about the state of things in Denmark,

To wit:
- Nyah Green was so enamored with Louisville, she and her dad paid their own way for an unofficial very early in the process and it led to the McDonald's All-American guard committing to Louisville.
- Then, when she was a freshman, just weeks before the season, she was named as one of the top newcomers to the ACC. Consider it a surprise then when she and fellow frosh Ramani Parker were both redshirted.
Here's what the Louisville Courier Journal says about what happened:

'“They’ve both done extremely well, but we had a lot of unforeseen circumstances that came about since their signing,” (Coach Jeff) Walz said.

The additions and immediate eligibility of Elizabeth Dixon and Elizabeth Balogun — both transfers from Georgia Tech — as well as the return of Yacine Diop for a sixth year, made playing time a premium for this season’s Cardinals."

So, what happened during that year off and now?

Well, the usual: a transfer (Ahlanna Smith) and one international guard (Mesissah Russell) fighting for minutes behind Balogun and that other freshman guard, one Hailey Van Lith. And when she looked ahead next year -- even with Dana Evans graduating -- things weren't opening up with Payton Verhulst joining the fray.

One thing that has changed is the way this is being presented:
Well, the spin has now gone to Green choosing to take a red shirt." Green, a 6-foot-1 guard, redshirted last season because she was concerned about not getting enough playing time," writes Ms. Voepal. Hmm, good spin but she was a McDonald's All-American (plus what Walz said a year earlier).

We've seen these developments at many universities and given injuries, transfers, etc., strange happenings take place. But it always seems to be a constnat churn in Lousiville with a shiny prospect or transfer catching Jeff's eye. And those not in it will find other homes, but the journey isn't one that's recommended.
I'd tell Raoul and Horatio it might be normalized, but it still smells a bit rotten.

Here's a bit of a trail from Raoul's post.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Um, given the rivalry between Louisville and ND, plus ND's own list of exodus from the MM ship, a transfer or two in, and I do find the perspective my find Irish Green colleague is listing a tad self serving. Yes, Walz certainly will dazzle a recruit, bring them in and migrate to another that he feels will help him more. So how is Boley, Patberg, Nixon, Patterson who were highly ranked and did transfer out and Sheppard, Snizek, Little Mabrey who all transferred in any different? Should someone imply something ghoulish with ND perhaps? No and I don't think anything devious is happening at Louisville.

To say something is not right in Denmark implies either an impropriety or a dishonesty which seems smokish without the flames of the fire. Transfers will now be a way of life and most will be due to playing time. Some will still be due to differences or issues with the coach/program and some maybe injury related.

While I find Dillon one of the most logical and highly respected members on this board that I trust, his argument without further evidence is less than compelling. Show me some proof and I will agree that the smell in Denmark is a tad foul...I did like the colorful metaphor though, who knew Shakespeare was such WCBB fan!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hmm. To my way of thinking, "Something is not right, seriously amiss, especially when leading to suspicion of motive." Yes, this is what leads up to Marcellus telling Horation about the state of things in Denmark,

To wit:
- Nyah Green was so enamored with Louisville, she and her dad paid their own way for an unofficial very early in the process and it led to the McDonald's All-American guard committing to Louisville.
- Then, when she was a freshman, just weeks before the season, she was named as one of the top newcomers to the ACC. Consider it a surprise then when she and fellow frosh Ramani Parker were both redshirted.
Here's what the Louisville Courier Journal says about what happened:

'“They’ve both done extremely well, but we had a lot of unforeseen circumstances that came about since their signing,” (Coach Jeff) Walz said.

The additions and immediate eligibility of Elizabeth Dixon and Elizabeth Balogun — both transfers from Georgia Tech — as well as the return of Yacine Diop for a sixth year, made playing time a premium for this season’s Cardinals."

So, what happened during that year off and now?

Well, the usual: a transfer (Ahlanna Smith) and one international guard (Mesissah Russell) fighting for minutes behind Balogun and that other freshman guard, one Hailey Van Lith. And when she looked ahead next year -- even with Dana Evans graduating -- things weren't opening up with Payton Verhulst joining the fray.
One thing that has changed is the way this is being presented:
Well, the spin has now gone to Green choosing to take a red shirt." Green, a 6-foot-1 guard, redshirted last season because she was concerned about not getting enough playing time," writes Ms. Voepal. Hmm, good spin but she was a McDonald's All-American (plus what Walz said a year earlier).
We've seen these developments at many universities and given injuries, transfers, etc., strange happenings take place. But it always seems to be a constnat churn in Lousiville with a shiny prospect or transfer catching Jeff's eye. And those not in it will find other homes, but the journey isn't one that's recommended.
I'd tell Raoul and Horatio it might be normalized, but it still smells a bit rotten.

Here's a bit of a trail from Raoul's post.

There was also some attempted spin here on the BY last year by some Louisville fans (Jeff defenders) when the red shirt was announced for Green and Parker. Those fans would have you believe that the players and parents were OK with being told they would redshirt only a few days before the start of the season.
The reality (truth?) is far more clear. Jeff over recruits. Jeff deliberately chooses to offer scholarships indiscriminately without loyalty. Green is very talented and hopefully will catch on with a good program. She will have 5 full years of eligibility remaining. Hopefully the parents of recruits that are considering Louisville are paying close attention.

Reaction Score
Aren't we seeing this trend happening more often though regardless of the program?

Iowa State had a couple freshmen redshirt for 2019-2020. One transferred to a junior college for this season. The other is barely getting playing time. Had Iowa State not gotten an extra year of eligibility for a JC transfer would things have been different? Who knows?

Regardless of the school, parents have to pay close attention as part of the recruiting process. Stories like this are happening with lesser known programs from what I've heard through people I know. Louisville gets more of a reputation because of their profile.

Is it fair that they have this reputation? Most likely from what I've read here and through other sources. I don't think it's fair to paint them as the only program doing this however.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Discussion of Green's transfer began on Tuesday in this thread:

:D

Reaction Score
Expect Vic & Staff to be competing with Mulkey to bring her back to Texas. And to keep all other recruits in the future from leaving TX

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Um, given the rivalry between Louisville and ND, plus ND's own list of exodus from the MM ship, a transfer or two in, and I do find the perspective my find Irish Green colleague is listing a tad self serving. Yes, Walz certainly will dazzle a recruit, bring them in and migrate to another that he feels will help him more. So how is Boley, Patberg, Nixon, Patterson who were highly ranked and did transfer out and Sheppard, Snizek, Little Mabrey who all transferred in any different? Should someone imply something ghoulish with ND perhaps? No and I don't think anything devious is happening at Louisville.

To say something is not right in Denmark implies either an impropriety or a dishonesty which seems smokish without the flames of the fire. Transfers will now be a way of life and most will be due to playing time. Some will still be due to differences or issues with the coach/program and some maybe injury related.

While I find Dillon one of the most logical and highly respected members on this board that I trust, his argument without further evidence is less than compelling. Show me some proof and I will agree that the smell in Denmark is a tad foul...I did like the colorful metaphor though, who knew Shakespeare was such WCBB fan!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Discussion of Green's transfer began on Tuesday in this thread:

:D

Thanks Southie!
Errr, my bad, but I got thrown by the Thread. Otherwise, I would've gone where the "action was."

I get thrown by the cross-fertilization of some topics on the UConn and General Boards. Then there's the excellent "recruiting," "transfer" and "news" threads (sometimes on both boards). One needs a Boneyard GPS sometimes! :rolleyes: ;)

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
19.gif
19.gif
19.gif
19.gif
19.gif
19.gif
19.gif

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
While chatting with Dillon, I did an assessment of the last 5 years of transfers at Louisville as Jeff, seems to use all 14 of his scholarships, sometimes overrecruiting positions and sometimes overvaluing the players talent, and always willing to add transfers (Balogun/Dixon/Kianna Smith/Ahlana Smith which leads to discord on the players transferring to the tune of 10 of them in the 5 years. Here's his list of recruits who transferred out in the last 5 years:
2019: #23 Nyah Green-98
2018: #37 Seygan Robins-97 (UT-Martin), Molly Lockhart-90,
2017: #24 Lyndsey Duvall-97 (NKU), #25 Loretta Kakala-97 (Pacific),
2016: #13 Cierra Johnson-98 (Texas AM), #56 Sydney Zambrotta-95 (GW),
2015: #26 Taja Cole-97 (VPI), #40 Brianna Jones-97 (GW), #98 Erin Degrate-91 (Texas Tech/Baylor)

To me, of the list above, only Cierra Johnson at Texas A&M with 10.7 pts per game and 7.7 rebounds this year was a loss for the cards and she transferred 3 years ago so it's not like they've missed her. Will Nyah Green live up to her #23 ranking and help/lead Duke? Their current highest ranked player is #37 Vanessa DeJesus from 2020. Duke does have #19 Shay Bolin for 2022 but is 2 years away. Nyah should certainly get playing time. Should be fun to watch as Duvall from NKU lit it up Friday against UL for 20 points, 7 reb and 2 assists and Nyah will get to play the Cards for 3 more years.

Reaction Score
I wish the young lady all the best at the Duke. Who knows, this might be that perfect fit for her.

Reaction Score
While chatting with Dillon, I did an assessment of the last 5 years of transfers at Louisville as Jeff, seems to use all 14 of his scholarships, sometimes overrecruiting positions and sometimes overvaluing the players talent, and always willing to add transfers (Balogun/Dixon/Kianna Smith/Ahlana Smith which leads to discord on the players transferring to the tune of 10 of them in the 5 years. Here's his list of recruits who transferred out in the last 5 years:
2019: #23 Nyah Green-98
2018: #37 Seygan Robins-97 (UT-Martin), Molly Lockhart-90,
2017: #24 Lyndsey Duvall-97 (NKU), #25 Loretta Kakala-97 (Pacific),
2016: #13 Cierra Johnson-98 (Texas AM), #56 Sydney Zambrotta-95 (GW),
2015: #26 Taja Cole-97 (VPI), #40 Brianna Jones-97 (GW), #98 Erin Degrate-91 (Texas Tech/Baylor)

To me, of the list above, only Cierra Johnson at Texas A&M with 10.7 pts per game and 7.7 rebounds this year was a loss for the cards and she transferred 3 years ago so it's not like they've missed her. Will Nyah Green live up to her #23 ranking and help/lead Duke? Their current highest ranked player is #37 Vanessa DeJesus from 2020. Duke does have #19 Shay Bolin for 2022 but is 2 years away. Nyah should certainly get playing time. Should be fun to watch as Duvall from NKU lit it up Friday against UL for 20 points, 7 reb and 2 assists and Nyah will get to play the Cards for 3 more years.
Jade Williams and Mikayla Boykin were both ranked higher than DeJesus.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Well, initially I was looking for next year when Duke will next play as both Williams and Boykin are seniors, that said, I believe both will be back next year so you are correct.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom