NY Times piece on Griner | The Boneyard

NY Times piece on Griner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
W.N.B.A. Hopes Griner Can Change Perceptions, As Well as Game Itself

Even before she plays her first game, her influence has been significant. A decade ago, W.N.B.A. officials might have been reluctant to celebrate as a standard-bearer of the league someone who did not conform to conventional standards of femininity, said Mary Jo Kane, the director of the for Research on Girls and Women in Sport at the University of Minnesota.

“You cannot ignore her athleticism, and the W.N.B.A. has not tried to isolate or marginalize Griner,” Kane said.

“That is a rather remarkable and fundamental shift.”

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Average attendance in the WNBA is 7,457. BG increased attendance on the road by 3,600+ this past season.

The WNBA voted in what is being called the "Griner Rule," the 3-second defensive lane penalty in preparation for Griner. Every team voted for it except.....Phoenix.

Many said she wouldn't change the game. She is changing the WNBA before she even plays a game.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I do think they should play man to man only defense tho (no pun intended) just like the NBA

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have to admit i didn't like Griner in college. Heck, the whole thing with Barncastle, etc, and the fact I really didn't want Baylor to win the NC this year. But hey, guess what? She's gonna play with DT and be on Phoneix, one of my favorite teams in the WNBA. so now i'm a big fan!

I think many schools, especially big ones like UCONN and Tennessee, want their best players to be the "best in the world". I'm certainly rooting for Griner to be successful in the WNBA and don't care if she's the best or not. It will be great to see she and DT working together, and I certainly will enjoy rooting for her!

Reaction Score
"someone who did not conform to Conventional standards of feminity"; has she checked out the WNBA teams rosters; Griner is far from the only non conformist.

Reaction Score
I do think they should play man to man only defense tho (no pun intended) just like the NBA

There is a fair amount of zone played in the NBA these days. When the zone was legalized on the men's side about a decade ago, they also put in the defensive 3-second rule. It appears that the WNBA is now catching up.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Moving to Phoenix just last year, I wanted to be a Phoenix fan, but DT sat out and we weren't that fun to watch so I instead watched the Dream, and Sky play. Then when the draft came I was wishing for us to get the #2 pick because EDD is my favorite player to watch....so I was really disappointed we got #1..(I know, I must be crazy). If we had gotten EDD I was going to become a season ticket holder. However, my partner still wants to because he likes Griner. But I have no want too...Griner is a outstanding player, and I'm quite sure that Phoenix is going to be outstanding this year.

Whatever team drafts EDD will be my favorite team, which will most likely be Chicago which is good since they have one of my all-time favorite Rutgers players in Prince already there. So I'll go to the opener against Chicago here in Phoenix, and perhaps after watching Phoenix, and Griner play in person will change my mind. But when I go there I'll be rooting for Chicago. :p

Although I'll most likely watch all key Phoenix games on Live Access anyways. :p

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I thought the NBA did away with much of the man to man defense only rules?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I thought the NBA did away with much of the man to man defense only rules?
I think so but they continue to play a lot of man to man... due to having tons of deadly long range bombers (zone busters)

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I thought this quote was spot on...:)

"“It seems they’re beginning to figure out a triumvirate of relationships needed for a 24-hour, 12-month season for women’s basketball,” said Helen Wheelock, who operates the Women’s Hoops Blog. “That means there has to be a conscious connection between the N.C.A.A., ESPN and the W.N.B.A. It has not been a really successful partnership. It’s been push-pull.” "

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have to admit i didn't like Griner in college. Heck, the whole thing with Barncastle, etc, and the fact I really didn't want Baylor to win the NC this year. But hey, guess what? She's gonna play with DT and be on Phoneix, one of my favorite teams in the WNBA. so now i'm a big fan!

I think many schools, especially big ones like UCONN and Tennessee, want their best players to be the "best in the world". I'm certainly rooting for Griner to be successful in the WNBA and don't care if she's the best or not. It will be great to see she and DT working together, and I certainly will enjoy rooting for her!

Welcome to the club. I hope that she and DT make us proud.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
"someone who did not conform to Conventional standards of feminity"; has she checked out the WNBA teams rosters; Griner is far from the only non conformist.
Yeah, what's with the "conventional standards of femininity" phrase. So back in 2003 we weren't ready for a Griner type? Hell, I grew up on "Attack of the 50 Foot Women," whom I assumed was the big model for a woman, one who liked to have some fun and probably rode around sometimes on a giant skateboard to boot. Are they making inquiries of the 7'3" guys to figure out if they fit conventional standards of masculinity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom