NY Times: If ND to ACC for partial sports, UConn over Rutgers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NY Times: If ND to ACC for partial sports, UConn over Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Sure, we all want to believe this because it is a life raft for UConn, but I am encouraged because A: The Acc went balls-out to get ND back in 2003, when they couldn't, then invited ND junior (BC); and B: Thamel has been a consistent hater on UConn since the Pitt/Su story broke and has no reason to float us as number 16.

Reaction Score
^^ I will say, if the ACC REALLY wants ND now, the best way is to completely blow up the Big East. The best way they can do that is take us and hope the Big 12 chops out a few more.

Reaction Score
Sure, we all want to believe this because it is a life raft for UConn, but I am encouraged because A: The Acc went balls-out to get ND back in 2003, when they couldn't, then invited ND junior (BC); and B: Thamel has been a consistent hater on UConn since the Pitt/Su story broke and has no reason to float us as number 16.
Did the ACC go after ND in 2003? I dont remember hearing that, but I admittedly could be totally wrong.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
^^ I will say, if the ACC REALLY wants ND now, the best way is to completely blow up the Big East. The best way they can do that is take us and hope the Big 12 chops out a few more.
There must be a word in German for secretly hoping that your house burns down so that you can get a new one from the insurance money.

Reaction Score
And you know all this why....This shake up is far from over and anyone thinking otherwise is not paying attention. UConnmay be on the outside as of now but do you think this is how the whole conferences will settle out....If you do, then you haven't been paying attention. Just remember the Big Twelve was gone a few months ago and now look. Things are ever changing.
I do not know. It is an opinion. And like I posted, tweets, articles and blogs that declared the Big 12 dead were wrong. Nobody knows. Therefore, I have an opinion that the ND as a partial member to the ACC with Uconn as #15 rumor is also just somebody floating something without a reliable or confirmed source. To me, it makes no sense from an ACC perspective. And since that is where Uconn wants to be, perhaps looking at things from the ACC perspective might be a little more insightful than looking at it from only a Uconn perspective.

I swear, what blog has been right about anything since Drudge had Clinton's DNA on Monica's dress in the freezer? Not many. And those that were right were just lucky.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Did the ACC go after ND in 2003? I dont remember hearing that, but I admittedly could be totally wrong.
After agreeing to Miami and VT, they stopped at 11 teams and petitioned the NCAA for a championship game with less than 12 members. The NC State pres. IIRC, was an ND alum and put on the big press to bring ND in as #12. ND said no and the NCAA said no to a championship game without 12 teams, so BC was then extended an invite. This is all based on my shoddy memory and the filter of a couple of stiff bourbons.

Reaction Score
Mary Ann Fox was Chacellor at NC Stat and an ND Trustee. She voted no on BC initially and introduced the idea that NF would be good for the ACC. The ACC supposedly approached ND who said no and the ACC went back to BC (also after the NCAA said no to a FB championship game wit only 11 teams).

Reaction Score
After agreeing to Miami and VT, they stopped at 11 teams and petitioned the NCAA for a championship game with less than 12 members. The NC State pres. IIRC, was an ND alum and put on the big press to bring ND in as #12. ND said no and the NCAA said no to a championship game without 12 teams, so BC was then extended an invite. This is all based on my shoddy memory and the filter of a couple of stiff bourbons.
Drinking some Bulleit tonight myself.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Just for fun, here is a post by noted ND=connected poster TerryD from the NCAABBS board yesterday. It pretty much lays out the same deal Thamel does except as offered by the B!@.

Everyone hears rumors...Here is mine...

The Big 12 would add BYU, TCU, West Virginia, Louisville and Cincinnati, thereby killing the Big East in its current version as a football conference. The Big 12 would then invite Notre Dame into the league for its applicable Olympic sports, but football would remain independent.

The Big 12 would then be at 14 schools and Notre Dame would agree to a situation similar to what Kevin White agreed to with the Big East in football, i.e. Notre Dame would play three Big 12 teams per year.

Notre Dame changes up its Thanksgiving week routine and Texas becomes an annual series there, replacing the Longhorns game with Texas A&M. That's the hope from Texas at least.

Notre Dame would have the first right of refusal to join in full with football should the next conference realignment step force Notre Dame into a football conference, i.e. suddenly there are four 16-team super conferences and break away from the NCAA.
TerryD

Reaction Score
Thamel's matter of fact writing style leads me to believe that he does have sources. Plus, he has been right before.

Also been very wrong before, with unbelievably shoddy journalism.

Reaction Score
I think its safe to say the same person that leaked Cuse and Pitt to Thamel, leaked this. This is fantastic news, but we should all temper our enthusiasm because of how fluid the situation is.

Reaction Score
Thamel is an absolute UConn hater. Read his articles and tweets - it's not paranoid message board conjecture, but solid fact. Therefore the fact that he categorically says that UConn will be going to the ACC, if Notre Dame acquiesces is very good news. As a writer for the NYT he certainly has his sources and broke the Pitt/SU to ACC story.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
after reading that article, it's fair to conclude that even the A10 is shifting in the winds

an expansion of a BE basketball only conference will hurt them bad

Reaction Score
i just tried to click on the link and it didn't lead to anything. either my computer/internet is up, or the article was taken down. i check this board every few hours during the day and the last two moves, Pitt/Cuse and TCU, i found about when i turned on sportscenter in the morning getting ready for work. all this "where's there's smoke there's fire" stuff is just nonsense. if something real happens, they tell a legitimate news source, not some idiot blogger.

Reaction Score
Matt who were you just referring to as the idiot blogger? Eric Crawford, of the Courier-Journal in Kentucky, or Pete Thamel, of the New York Times?

Reaction Score
i didn't really mean either of those particular authors, although Thamel has the credibility of RutgersAl. i don't really know anything about Crawford. i meant it about internet journalism in general, and not just this rumor, but all of the dozens of rumors that have come out over the last two weeks. is it's unfortunate that legitimate journalism is morphing into blogging and not the other way around.

Reaction Score
i didn't really mean either of those particular authors, although Thamel has the credibility of RutgersAl. i don't really know anything about Crawford. i meant it about internet journalism in general, and not just this rumor, but all of the dozens of rumors that have come out over the last two weeks. is it's unfortunate that legitimate journalism is morphing into blogging and not the other way around.

So called "legitimate journalists" have failed both sports news and this country in so many ways you might want to do some real qualification before even using the term. It's amusing when someone takes a shot at one who is sharing the information they have about a situation that everyone knows is both fluid and being done in secret. But keep reading their stories and ripping them for reporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom