NY Times farewell to Swin Cash | The Boneyard

NY Times farewell to Swin Cash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't get the creepy part.
The relationship between Cash and Laimbeer soured in 2007 when he questioned her performance as she dealt with severe back pain and a malignant kidney tumor that only they and the team trainer knew about. After the season, Cash was traded to Seattle.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think she does pretty well in studio, but I think her energy and spontaneity would be perfect for sideline/on-court reporting, engaging the participants in real time. Has she done much of that? Or at least, mix that in with her studio work.

I see Swin as someone who could pose challenging questions to coaches , rather than just the blah-blah-blah stuff we often see. Or she could engage them in a sarcastic & entertaining back-and-forth. Geno is not the only smart aleck coach out there that would respond to it.

The more I think about it the more I like it. The oncourt critic! Not just a passive "So, what are your keys for the second half?" type of questioner.

Reaction Score
I don't get it but one can pretty much depend on Laimbeer bashing in these parts. "Creepy" in NOT a nice thing to say about anyone.
Question: Did ANYONE (even Swin) know the extent
of her back condition at the time she was traded? The article would lead one to believe that she and the coach did. Why would Seattle trade for a player needing back surgery?
=================
New

I don't get the creepy part.
The relationship between Cash and Laimbeer soured in 2007 when he questioned her performance as she dealt with severe back pain and a malignant kidney tumor that only they and the team trainer knew about. After the season, Cash was traded to Seattle.

bags27, Today at 9:16 AM Report
#4 Like − Quote Reply

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think she does pretty well in studio, but I think her energy and spontaneity would be perfect for sideline/on-court reporting, engaging the participants in real time. Has she done much of that? Or at least, mix that in with her studio work.

I see Swin as someone who could pose challenging questions to coaches , rather than just the blah-blah-blah stuff we often see. Or she could engage them in a sarcastic & entertaining back-and-forth. Geno is not the only smart aleck coach out there that would respond to it.

The more I think about it the more I like it. The oncourt critic! Not just a passive "So, what are your keys for the second half?" type of questioner.

Wouldn't that be refreshing and educational.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Really nice article and I don't see anything 'creepy' with Bill - there are very few star athletes that have perfectly smooth relationships with their coaches (and few college players at Uconn!!!) That they parted ways, but he felt strongly enough about her as a player and person to bring her into NY is telling - and equally telling is the fact that as a fee agent she chose NY and Bill.

Reaction Score
I'll just repeat what's in the Times: "Laimbeer... questioned her performance as she dealt with severe back pain and a malignant kidney tumor that only they and the team trainer knew about."

Now, what if one of your loved ones whom you knew to be similarly suffering told you that his or her boss criticized his or her performance in public? Wouldn't you be outraged? I think that is really, really creepy. Not truly horrible. Not Stalin or Hitler horrible. But creepy. Doesn't mean you won't necessarily not work there or even that your boss doesn't like you. But it is acting creepy.

Oxford Dictionary, 1st usage for creep as a noun: "a person that you dislike very much and find very unpleasant"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IF you get MSG - they're listing the Storm @ Liberty game tonight at 7:00 on MSG+. Also, with numerous replays tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/07/s...-in-her-last-wnba-season.html?ref=todayspaper

Really great article about her; Bill Laimbeer comes off (what a shock!) somewhat creepy.
Swin is more beautiful than ever. I either missed the Quote from Laimbeer you speak of or my scanning is defective. Laimbeer as a player was intense and not the most pleasant guy on the floor, as a Wnba coach he has won--winning is the name of the game he plays.
Swin--I'm pleased she is getting a great send off--it is a bit disconcerting in that I remember her Sue, Tamkia, Asia(sp), and Walters arrival at Uconn--and now she's retiring from the WNBA with Sue quickly to follow. No one has the particular look of Swin Cash as she runs the floor. That thin frame rebounded with the best in College and the WNBA amazing..

Reaction Score
IF you get MSG - they're listing the Storm @ Liberty game tonight at 7:00 on MSG+. Also, with numerous replays tomorrow.
I contacted League Pass and learned that they will not be streaming the ceremony

Reaction Score
Swin curiously omitted mention of Geno Auriemma last night. I believe she thanked "all of the coaches at UConn," while singling out none. But she did say that UConn prepared her very well for the pro game. Tina Charles was very complimentary of Connecticut, though, in her remarks.

Reaction Score
Admiration for a great female athlete. You joined the UConn team concept which has taken you along way, not only as a player but as a person. Much credit to your mother. 'Youth springs eternal'. Only the best in your recent marriage & broadcasting career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom