NY Times article on Crystal Dangerfield: The Vols' Bitter Pill | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NY Times article on Crystal Dangerfield: The Vols' Bitter Pill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This statement from her coach seemed a little odd...almost sounded like he was saying that there might be some sort of conflict in what Geno expects and Crystals playing style.

“She’s small but can really jump, is lightning quick and can shoot the 3. But she likes to handle the ball, and, you know, Geno expects his point guards to distribute, play a certain way.”

I've read most of the comments and posts regarding Crystal Dangerfield for the past 2-3 weeks (and I've enjoyed every one of them). Some of the expectations of the "Boneyard collective" extend across the spectrum from one end to the other. Admittedly, I'm in there too somewhere. I'm very excited about her coming to Storrs, and being the heir apparent to Jefferson for the next 3-4 years.

I'm going on record here and now saying "I really don't believe she'll disappoint". In time, I fully expect Geno and staff to transform her into one of the premier guards in the country (just as they have done to Jefferson). In Geno I trust!!!!! I can't say that strongly enough. He's got an excellent staff. They know what they are doing. They don't need anyone to sing their praises. Their record speaks for it self.

Based on some of the posts and comments I've read, If Crystal shows up her first day on campus, attired in anything other than blue tights, a cape (with the a big red "S" on her chest), there will be some that will be disappointed, disillusioned and totally befuddled. :eek:

Hype can be a terrible thing. Unchecked, it can cause expectations to expand to the outer reaches of the impossible. I'm not suggesting that the Yarders are responsible for all of the notoriety she has. The news media can take a bow for that. Being the #1 rated point guard in the class of 2016 will generate some degree of attention. Every week we're reading articles from various outlets and news sources that Crystal has done this, or Crystal has won that.

Dangerfield is not even on campus yet, and already she is getting more attention and ink than some of the current bench players.
Like one of the "little rascals" use to say.................remarkable. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Interesting how CD's parents were so supportive of her leaving the state even though it may not have been in their interests. The parents seem so level headed and based on the quotes from CD, I suspect they have done an incredible job raising their daughter. She seems so mature for a high schooler. Not sure how Geno and staff find such quality individuals but they seem to do an terrific job of finding student athletes that will be successful both on and off the basketball court. It really makes it easy to be a devoted fan.

Reaction Score
Interesting how CD's parents were so supportive of her leaving the state even though it may not have been in their interests. The parents seem so level headed and based on the quotes from CD, I suspect they have done an incredible job raising their daughter. She seems so mature for a high schooler. Not sure how Geno and staff find such quality individuals but they seem to do an terrific job of finding student athletes that will be successful both on and off the basketball court. It really makes it easy to be a devoted fan.
No slander here Rugbymate, just curious of how you see Crystals parents so different than those of the rest of the team? (Or dozens of past players, the list is too long.) This being supportive of her leaving the state. We presently only have one player on the roster from CT.
They obviously see an opportunity for their daughter to receive a free education at one of the nations top schools. This along with arguably the best coaching staff in the nation at the sport she intends to make her future.
What I find more interesting or mind boggling is the ones that turn the offer down. ;)

Reaction Score
No slander here Rugbymate, just curious of how you see Crystals parents so different than those of the rest of the team? (Or dozens of past players, the list is too long.) This being supportive of her leaving the state. We presently only have one player on the roster from CT.
They obviously see an opportunity for their daughter to receive a free education at one of the nations top schools. This along with arguably the best coaching staff in the nation at the sport she intends to make her future.
What I find more interesting or mind boggling is the ones that turn the offer down. ;)
Fair question...the inference from the article was that the parents raised her to be an independent thinker and to believe in herself. While there was probably a fair amount of pressure to stay in Tennessee given the UT programs history and local fan base, CD was able to think her way through the issues( i.e...some of which you raised) and choose UCONN. It doesn't seem as if the parents leaned on her one way or the other. Remember, this is the first major recruit to leave Tennessee for UCONN. Its a huge deal and with the possible dynamics of KLS 's decision to come to UCONN, I can't recall a similar set of circumstances.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Fair question...the inference from the article was that the parents raised her to be an independent thinker and to believe in herself. While there was probably a fair amount of pressure to stay in Tennessee given the UT programs history and local fan base, CD was able to think her way through the issues( i.e...some of which you raised) and choose UCONN. It doesn't seem as if the parents leaned on her one way or the other. Remember, this is the first major recruit to leave Tennessee for UCONN. Its a huge deal and with the possible dynamics of KLS 's decision to come to UCONN, I can't recall a similar set of circumstances.
Kaleena then Moriah?

Reaction Score
Kaleena then Moriah?
Sorta...but not sure they are as comparable as CD choosing what some considered the other/wrong side in a very bitter rivalry and KLS leaving California and not following her sisters to Stanford

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I'm gonna break my self-imposed prohibition on getting involved on a thread involving the future while we're in the middle of this year's NCAA tourney, but...

could we come up with a "nom de board" for Dangerfield other than CD? Like the old Monty Python skit says, "That's gonna cause a bit of confusion!"*

I'm open to suggestions - Danger Mouse? Rodney? Deuce? (actually, I think the team will solve this themselves, or Geno will. It maybe that he actually calls her Crystal).

*of course, if ya know the Python bit, in the skit everybody is named Bruce, except the new guy, and it's his not having the same name that causes "the bit of confusion".

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There were a similar set of circumstances and probably a greater pull elsewhere in the recruitment of Shea Ralph to UCONN.
" Marsha Mann ( Shea's Mom) was a tough-as-nails All-America at North Carolina, where her No. 44 hangs from the rafters. She went to the Soviet Union in 1973 for the World University Games, playing alongside Pat Summitt."

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol3no25shea.html

Shea had to say no, not only to UNC, where her mom was AA but also to TN where her Mom's former teammate Pat Summit was queen of WCBB.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can the "official" Boneyard abbreviation for Dangerfield be Crystal Dangerfield? I read CD as Chris Daley and then move on to Doty before I get to Dangerfield.

Reaction Score
Well, this is how the ball bounces. After UTenn's impressive win last night, I wonder if we all feel the same about that program? Not that they couldn't use Crystal, but we need to give them some credit. They dug themselves a very, very deep hole this season, and made a giant step toward redemption last night.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Can the "official" Boneyard abbreviation for Dangerfield be Crystal Dangerfield? I read CD as Chris Daley and then move on to Doty before I get to Dangerfield.

It's also a play on CP3, Chris Paul's nickname, and he may remind me more of Dangerfield than any other player.

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members