NY Post with same question as a lot of us have . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NY Post with same question as a lot of us have . .

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If it comes down to the last few possessions of a game in the next weeks - is anyone 100% comfortable that UConn is prepared to handle it positively?
I have seen nothing that has me betting the house on it.
Every tournament, the teams that move on to the finals have passed at least one close game test.
Let’s hope the staff has recognized this weakness and is working on it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think this is funny. There are many who insisted that Cooley is a better coach than DH and we'd be better off with him. Let me get it straight: in the same single season Hurley is the better coach in November, then Cooley is the better option when we're losing, now Hurley is the guy. This is the logic that gets me: if you're a better coach then you are at least gonna be better than the other guy in one single year- the entire year. Would anyone still rather have Cooley?
This is pure jibber

Reaction Score
If it comes down to the last few possessions of a game in the next weeks - is anyone 100% comfortable that UConn is prepared to handle it positively?
Every tournament, the teams that move on to the finals have passed at least one close game test.
No not at all. Hopefully UConn can either 1) nix this issue or better yet 2) beat PC handily.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is it really that common? If we need a big shot late, I think we have four guys that can take it. Hawk, AK, Sanogo and Newton. None of them are Kemba, but neither is anybody on other terms.

One of our strengths and one of the reasons we don't often land in that situation is FT shooting. We've got guys who can make those late and close out games. Our inbounds was awful, but we seem to have fixed that. Pressure is mostly solved by Jackson, but I want us to start scoring off of that. Trap -> Jackson -> quickly up to Sanogo -> 2 points. Repeat until game ends. Buring clock is where we have trouble.

Reaction Score
A lot comes down to getting a manageable opponent in Round 1 of the dance. No matter which type of sage we burn pre-game, chances are the good guys coming out tight in that first half. Happy to be wrong obviously. If we get someone that we can settle in against and find our groove, we should be able to make a nice run.
For those who may disagree with you, I point to Dayton in the first round in 2014. If Amidah didn't make the improbable three point play who knows what would have happened.

Reaction Score
While your concern is valid, the way UConn held off Villanova in the foulfest on Saturday is encouraging. What did we make, 10 for 10 or 12 for 12?
Reminds me of when Tate George would take all our free throws in end game situations and nobody was nervous. If JH and TN do the same we won't be losing any leads.
As for being behind in end game situations, that could be another story...........at least so far.

Reaction Score
Im sure we are going to get the short end of the stick with the foul calls in the big east tournament..we are going to have to be a lot better then the teams we play to win

Reaction Score
I think our defense has really ratcheted up, Im still trying to figure out how St. Johns just hung 86 on us 10 days ago.
We had a big lead and they piled a bunch of points on in the last couple minutes with apathy and breakdowns.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We had a big lead and they piled a bunch of points on in the last couple minutes with apathy and breakdowns.
No more meaningful than the Villanova women outscoring UConn 17-6 in the 4th quarter of the BET Finals Monday night

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I'm more comfortable now than in January. This team looks more confident and mentally strong in the last 9 games or so. Even in the close loss on the road to Creighton, we were tough down the stretch in a scrappy, defensive game. Hawkins had ice in his veins for that shot that almost sent it to OT. Unfortunately a centimeter of his shoe was on the line.

I'm also down to beat teams in the tournament by 15-18 points though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom