NY Post Big East to extend invitations to 6 schools by Tuesday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NY Post Big East to extend invitations to 6 schools by Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd be interested in knowing if Perkins and Toner voted for or against ND being allowed in for all sports except football and for or against Penn State back in 85/86. IMO Toner would have voted for Penn State in a heartbeat.

John Toner was on record when interviewed a couple of years ago as having been pro Penn State.

Reaction Score
If the invitations do go out next tuesday, they will become official twenty days after the public announcement (leak actually) that the BE has decided on which schools to invite. The ACC did this in the matter of hours. The B-12 (with serious deliberations) took less time to invite TCU after A&M's departure became official and apparently are inviting WVU before Missouri's departure becomes official.

A sesame street reference; which of these three doesn't belong?

You realize that the delay is US, right? The hoops schools need to know that we're staying to allow USF, SMU and Houston into the basketball league. What power to you want the commissioner to have to make us give him a firm in or out so he can move?'

Reaction Score
SMU is really questionable in my eyes, in regards to playing ability in other sports besides baseball and soccer. Can someone tell me the significance in SMU? I haven't a clue. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
SMU is really questionable in my eyes, in regards to playing ability in other sports besides baseball and soccer. Can someone tell me the significance in SMU? I haven't a clue. :rolleyes:

Sure. And I'm not saying they should but here is the case.

1. Dallas marketplace. Not a big player in it today, but was the last time they played in a major conference before suffering the death penalty.

2. Private school, very rich and involved alumni base, that, before it's banishment from the world of big time football, contributed lots of money and tolerated highly competitive behavior (i.e., cheating).

3. Program that, on the field, is on an uptick.

In short, the belief that, if it joins a BCS conference, the market and alumni support and history is such that it has a much, much better chance of becoming a consistent Toop 40 football team than a Temple or Memphis will ever have if given the same chance.

Reaction Score
John Toner was on record when interviewed a couple of years ago as having been pro Penn State.
I would have thought Toner would have been pro PSU since he used to be the football coach at UCONN, but did not know for sure, thanks Coach.

Reaction Score
I'd be interested in knowing if Perkins and Toner voted for or against ND being allowed in for all sports except football and for or against Penn State back in 85/86. IMO Toner would have voted for Penn State in a heartbeat.

This from JoePa's Media Day interview in August 2003:

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080903aaa.html

Reporter: "At Big East Media Day Mike Tranghese said they would not take Penn State 20 years ago."

Paterno: "Mike Tranghese is completely incorrect. I flew up to Hartford, Connecticut and sat down with Dave Gavitt, who by the way was a classmate and probably the roommmate of Jake Crouthamel (Syracuse athletic director) at Dartmouth, and I talked to them about what I thought would be the best interest of the East and that would be an all-sports conference. Connecticut, at that time, and John Toner, who was the athletic director there and an old friend of mine, was involved in that. We talked and they wanted to know if we had any interest in the Big East? I said, "No, we were only interested in an all-sports conference." I went home and I got several telephone calls, including from Bill Flynn, who at that time was the athletic director at Boston College and since has passed, trying to talk us into going into the Big East or apply to the Big East because they wanted to deter my efforts to get an all-sports conference. They were scared to death. Syracuse and BC were more concerned, at that time, in their basketball. Being with the Big East, they were there when Georgetown was hot and the whole bit. I don't blame them. This isn't pointing fingers. What happened, happened. When they called me, I said, "Look, we are not interested." They may have had a vote and said, "We are going to try to get Penn State." They may have taken a vote on their own, but we have never applied and showed any interest in the Big East as far as basketball. The only interest we had was in an all-sports conference. They then went to Pitt and Pitt decided that would be in their best interest. Pitt went into the Big East for their basketball. Again, I have no problem with anybody doing anything, but I don't want people to misrepresent what happened. I have never felt there was anything that was proper for Penn State athletics except an all-sports conference. We had gone through it with the Atlantic10 and the whole bit. The minute that thing folded on us, I sat down and said, "We have got to start to think about getting into an all-sports conference." I may be dumb, but I wasn't that dumb. I was seeing Notre Dame fooling around with their own television contract, the SEC breaking away from the CFA getting their own television contract. We are in University Park and we have to figure out how we are going to get some kind of an affiliation with somebody that has some clout for us to have the kind of television package that will protect us. If we hadn't gotten into the Big Ten, and we were fortunate that it worked out for us, we had some people in the Big Ten on the academic level, not the athletic level. We got in the Big Ten because of the academic level, the presidents and some faculty reps and people like that. If that hadn't happened, I was talking to a lot of my friends in the Atlantic Coast Conference at that time because I really felt that we had to be in a conference. Paul Pasqualoni played for me and he is at Syracuse. He and I have talked. I have friends at Pitt. I am an Easterner, sure, and I am not happy with what is happening to the Big East. Greg Schiano coached for me and he is the coach at Rutgers. I have talked to all of those guys. I would just like the record to be straight that we never applied to the Big East for basketball. The only thing we did with the Big East was try to talk some of the schools in that league to break away and become involved in an all-sports conference."

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The guys at the Bocci club down the street say they got an invite....it's conditional but it's looking good.....

Reaction Score
I'd also be interested in knowing who if any of the remaining football schools (after Miami and company left) voiced concerns or opposition to Marinatto being Tranghese's handpicked successor, which of course continued the Gavitt oligarchy in controlling the conf.

There has never been a single story, or a single blog post by a reporter, to the effect that any football school had an issue with marinatto taking over.

Reaction Score
There has never been a single story, or a single blog post by a reporter, to the effect that any football school had an issue with marinatto taking over.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You realize that the delay is US, right? The hoops schools need to know that we're staying to allow USF, SMU and Houston into the basketball league. What power to you want the commissioner to have to make us give him a firm in or out so he can move?'
My point on that comment (which doesn't belong) was that the BE as a whole (in large part due to the hybrid nature) cannot be quick or decisive enough to react in times such as what we've experienced over the past sixteen plus months to survive.

The hoops schools can force a split (and will if we leave, may anyway if Louisville leaves) so as far as them being stuck in a conference with Houston and SMU without UConn or Louisville in that conference, there is no risk to them oin that scenario.

I'm still reliving the stretch from this time last year (when news heated up about Nova upgrading and shortly afterward, Nov 1 I believe, TCU's admission was announced) through this past spring when despite Nova not having any stadium plan that made any sense, it too a coup by a few football members to stop Nova's upgrade as Marinatto refused to consider the possibility that they couldn't pull it off and he refused to consider any other candidate as a possibility. This conference was on its last legs from before the 2003 raid (although many refused to see this). The botched attempt to expand to ten was what finally pushed it over the edge.

Reaction Score
Paterno also said that he approached the BE in 1989/1990 with Maryland in his pocket both asking to join the BE for its inaugural football season, and he says he was informally turned down then.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Paterno also said that he approached the BE in 1989/1990 with Maryland in his pocket both asking to join the BE for its inaugural football season, and he says he was informally turned down then.
Say it ain't so Joe! So JoePa is spinning the story in his favor in the 2003 interview. Why doesn't this surprise me.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
This conference was on its last legs from before the 2003 raid (although many refused to see this). The botched attempt to expand to ten was what finally pushed it over the edge.

I'm not so much sure that's true as the BE was victim of its own success with the scheduling alignment thing and providing ESPN with some decent games on odd nights like Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.

The other factor is the changing media landscape which favors live sports for content holders like ESPN reflected in their insatiable price increases in carrier fees. The BiG further empowered conferences to seek value and streaming archived content from iTunes and Amazon Prime is around the corner

The best media properties are getting gobbled up. The 12-team conference is getting challenged as the paridigm of stability. What's happening is merger, much llike the AFL and NFL or WBA and NBA. The SWC and BE and Metro are the leading victims of change and merger and consolidation.

The march to four 16-team super conferences continues. If the B12 goes to 12 teams that's 64 teams in 5 conferences. Should RU and UConn be among the 64? Yes, but market forces aren't perfect due to the distortions of old alliances like Wake which adds nothing to the ACC or Vandy/SEC or Washington State/PAC-12.

The question is whether 14 is the new 12 and the BiG reaches out and ND or BYU align. The saddest state of affairs: the BiG adds ND and RU and the B12 adds BYU and ....... balks big at UConn.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The hybrid major conference in 2003 was as sustainable of a business as floppy drive manufacturing was five years earlier.

Reaction Score
I don't think there is a march to 16. If there was Rutgers and UConn would have a home already. I think they are trying to avoid 16 and go with 14. If any league feared that they need to be at 16 in the near future they would be gobbling up the best of whats available not nitpicking a team here and there and hoping a good one is left later.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I think the march to 16 was being fueled by the Tex/OU to Pac speculation. Once the bottom fell out of that deal it lost momentum.

Reaction Score
The ACC needs 16. Don't be so sure they would expand if necessary. The Big East should have expanded but didn't perceive the threat. The ACC may be underestimating the threat as well. The B12 and ACC will be on guard until the SEC and B10 are at 16. There is a lack of programming when there are fewer members. The Big East is so popular in bball because they have lots of product so people see more of it and get interested in it.

Reaction Score
Say it ain't so Joe! So JoePa is spinning the story in his favor in the 2003 interview. Why doesn't this surprise me.

He didn't reveal this story though for media consumption. This is what he literally told big goombahs at a fundraising event in 1989/1990.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
I don't think there is a march to 16. If there was Rutgers and UConn would have a home already. I think they are trying to avoid 16 and go with 14. If any league feared that they need to be at 16 in the near future they would be gobbling up the best of whats available not nitpicking a team here and there and hoping a good one is left later.

I don't see it happening over night. I do think it's inevitable that some strong teams outside the BCS will arise and there will be Media value there.

The PAC-12 isn't done gobbling up properties. They are in digestion mode and that could be five years or more. I'll b surprised if the B12 contract in 2016 goes smoothly in 2016

I don't think the ACC is done either. Basketball is the premier property and a 16-team league would better reflect that.
Aa population growth continues in Texas and Florida there's a good possibility new properties arise--I think one of either UCF or USF will become a major power. New technologies arrive, new demographics, new business models. New competition to ESPN. A new emphasis on hyper-local markets. No they aren't done. Merely digesting

Reaction Score
I don't see it happening over night. I do think it's inevitable that some strong teams outside the BCS will arise and there will be Media value there.

The PAC-12 isn't done gobbling up properties. They are in digestion mode and that could be five years or more. I'll b surprised if the B12 contract in 2016 goes smoothly in 2016

I don't think the ACC is done either. Basketball is the premier property and a 16-team league would better reflect that.
Aa population growth continues in Texas and Florida there's a good possibility new properties arise--I think one of either UCF or USF will become a major power. New technologies arrive, new demographics, new business models. New competition to ESPN. A new emphasis on hyper-local markets. No they aren't done. Merely digesting
Why would the Pac-12 add more schools? Would it really add any $ to the bottom line? I don't see it.
As I recall, the Big East was criticized for going to 16 teams, we were too big. Why has that changed? Why would conferences want to be bigger than 12?

Reaction Score
The hybrid major conference in 2003 was as sustainable of a business as floppy drive manufacturing was five years earlier.
Why can't a league like the Big East work? You and several others say this like it's a fact but provide no evidence. How did you reach this conclusion?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Why can't a league like the Big East work? You and several others say this like it's a fact but provide no evidence. How did you reach this conclusion?

For me, one of the most surprising things of all of this has been how completely clueless the entire fanbases of the bb-onlies are. They have no idea why a conference where 50% of the teams make more money, generate more revenue, but have no more influence than the hangers-on basketball schools who contribute nothing, absolutely nothing, can't work. They don't understand why SU fans aren't up in arms over leaving Seton Hall & PC & St. John's behind to go play North Carolina.

No basketball-only school has won the basketball national title since Villanova in 1985 (UConn was transitioning to I-A in 1999). Only two have even PLAYED for the title since then.

The basketball-only fanbases really, truly, do not get it. And for gosh sakes, if you're only going to spend money on basketball, how come they almost never come close to the Final Four, yet alone winning the title? Talk about a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom