NY Post Big East to extend invitations to 6 schools by Tuesday | The Boneyard

NY Post Big East to extend invitations to 6 schools by Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i'm just not that excited for Houston and SMU. i feel like the conference would ahve a lot more continuity if we added Memphis and Temple. SMUs attendance is no better than Temple's and Temple fits in well geographically and in terms of bball.

Reaction Score
The final nail in the big east coffin will be if one of those schools goes public and announces that they we're invited and turned the big east down.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The final nail in the big east coffin will be if one of those schools goes public and announces that they we're invited and turned the big east down.

I'm afraid the final nail just got pounded into the coffin by West Virginia, courtesy of ESPN, of course.

Reaction Score
With WVU bailing, hanging onto AQ status is all but gone, so it wouldn't be surprising at all if the BE got turned down by at least one of those schools, especially the football-only ones.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Isn't today Wednesday?

The plan all along (at least since Cuse & Pitt left) by the conference's leadership was to not actually do anything and wait until the football conference ran out of options.

Reaction Score
I'm REALLY not happy with being a leftover. Competitionwise, the Big-12 & Big-10 are a much better fit than either this new amalgamation (ifit EVER materializes) or the ACC. While the travel distance is excessive, I was really hoping for a Big East-Big-12 merger. The knowledge that UConn CAN compete with those schools (series with Baylor, ISU, & Fiesta Bowl experience against Oklahoma) only whetted my appetite for that remote possibility. I'm dumbfounded that the University of Connecticut, with its history of athletic success, & its captive local audience, is still on the outside looking in. I trust in President Herbst, but this is very disappointing.

Reaction Score
Invites by this coming Tuesday, which is when the remaining BE presidents meet again.

Robbins is a mouthpiece for Marinatto, so this is Marinatto's version of how it will play out.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If the invitations do go out next tuesday, they will become official twenty days after the public announcement (leak actually) that the BE has decided on which schools to invite. The ACC did this in the matter of hours. The B-12 (with serious deliberations) took less time to invite TCU after A&M's departure became official and apparently are inviting WVU before Missouri's departure becomes official.

A sesame street reference; which of these three doesn't belong?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is a pointless waste of time.

Reaction Score
Don't forget to read the other NY Post article by the same author that was published after this one:

"If the plan fails, or one more program leaves, the Big East will reach its tipping point.

That has never been closer.

The league is in crisis. Some of the non-FBS schools are taking another look at breaking away from their football brethren. Some of the schools that have FBS football and quality basketball want the league to invite Temple and Memphis immediately to retain the league's power in hoops.

"We have to go back to what this league was built on," said one coach. "Basketball has always been the strength. We need to have seven or eight really good programs. I've told the league that."

The league has been terrifyingly quiet. It did not issue a statement yesterday acknowledging the West Virginia situation because neither the Mountaineers nor the Big 12 made an announcement. Sources close to both told The Post "the deal is done."

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Too little - too late. The great hybrid experiment is dead.

Reaction Score
Too little - too late. The great hybrid experiment is dead.
The great hybrid experiment might have succeeded had the controlling basketball schools realized what they had with respect to football, years ago. They could have taken steps then to guard against an impending raid by doing several things differently but never did because in the end they didn't field football teams but at the same time were very very happy with revenue that some say they were not entitled to. Their pomposity about bball drving the conf bus while Rome burned really killed the Big Deceased. The football schools, especially UCONN, Cuse, and RU also should have tried to wrest control of the conf from the Dave Gavitt basketball oligarchy, years ago.

Reaction Score
The great hybrid experiment might have succeeded had the controlling basketball schools realized what they had with respect to football, years ago. They could have taken steps then to guard against an impending raid by doing several things differently but never did because in the end they didn't field football teams but at the same time were very very happy with revenue that some say they were not entitled to. Their pomposity about bball drving the conf bus while Rome burned really killed the Big Deceased. The football schools, especially UCONN, Cuse, and RU also should have tried to wrest control of the conf from the Dave Gavitt basketball oligarchy, years ago.

If it weren't for Lew Perkins, we'd still be part of the "Dave Gavitt basketball oligarchy," and were until 2000.

I don't know enough about the history to know where UConn stood in voting on things before this (although I heard they were in favor of full membership for VT very early).

Reaction Score
If it weren't for Lew Perkins, we'd still be part of the "Dave Gavitt basketball oligarchy," and were until 2000.

I don't know enough about the history to know where UConn stood in voting on things before this (although I heard they were in favor of full membership for VT very early).
I'd be interested in knowing if Perkins and Toner voted for or against ND being allowed in for all sports except football and for or against Penn State back in 85/86. IMO Toner would have voted for Penn State in a heartbeat.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The Great Hybrid Experiment might have worked if the basketball schools had realized that the majority of the best basketball schools were also football schools. The basketball schools should have been deferring to the football schools and not vice versa.

Reaction Score

I'd also be interested in knowing who if any of the remaining football schools (after Miami and company left) voiced concerns or opposition to Marinatto being Tranghese's handpicked successor, which of course continued the Gavitt oligarchy in controlling the conf.

F

fortebleedsblue

Folks we are forgetting the most important thing ... NONE of this and I mean NONE of this is Marinatto's fault. Rest assured Johnny is doing everything he can possibly to hold down the fort…. Multiple sources say he has another meeting scheduled next week to discuss what the following week's meeting will be about after UL and Cinci get poached.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Great Hybrid Experiment might have worked if the basketball schools had realized that the majority of the best basketball schools were also football schools. The basketball schools should have been deferring to the football schools and not vice versa.

As some columnist posted, it failed when they expanded the BB only schools to include Marquette and DePaul. Marquette has been good, but the reality is that it limited expansion of all-sports teams including football. The Hybrid league could work with 12 FB and 8 BB schools. It starts to fall apart when that is reversed. But eve that might not have saved it. There just aren't enough football schools in our footprint.

Reaction Score
Folks we are forgetting the most important thing ... NONE of this and I mean NONE of this is Marinatto's fault. Rest assured Johnny is doing everything he can possibly to hold down the fort…. Multiple sources say he has another meeting scheduled next week to discuss what the following week's meeting will be about after UL and Cinci get poached.
Of course it's his fault, at least in part. IMO you could not be more wrong, but it's also the fault of the football schools for allowing Tranghese to handpick him as his successor.

F

fortebleedsblue

Of course it's his fault, at least in part. IMO you could not be more wrong, but it's also the fault of the football schools for allowing Tranghese to handpick him as his successor.

You missed my sarcasm in there... Marinatto is a complete joke ... The more he sits back munching on his potato chips while the league's vaporizes the better off his power house Friar's are. They could care less about the football situation. If they no longer need to play cuse, pitt, west virginia (possibly UL, Cinci and ND) they are THAT much closer to gaining their conference championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom