NY Post: Basketball schools deliver harsh words to Notre Dame | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NY Post: Basketball schools deliver harsh words to Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes....football helps in BB recruiting. In fact, before the first BB men's championship, Calhoun lost a couple of prized recruits because UConn did not play Div. 1 football.

JC has always been a supporter of UCFB to the extent he even brought recruits to Memorial stadium during key 1-aa matchups.
I clearly remember him walking past the home side stands.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I really don't think they have much of a following. Most people outside New England, NY and NJ, DC don't pay attention to the bball schools. I consistently have to explain to people in Florida that St Johns, PC etc. were relevant programs. People under 30 don't even realize that anymore. My wife is a southerner and she has no clue who any of the bball schools are other than Georgetown. She knows Nova from the Final Four a few years ago, but she doesn't consider them a name. You find out a lot more about perception of your program by talking to non sports fans. They only know the big names and other than Georgetown, the bball schools are not big names.

I disagree with this entirely. Living in Northern California, I saw more UConn hats than probably any other school, including Cal and Stanford. Everyone I talked to knew exactly who St. Johns was and the other BE schools. None of them could name the schools in the SEC, or the ACC aside from UNC and Duke. College football isn't that popular outside of the midwest and south. Clearly basketball leads over football in places like Indiana, NC, Kentucky and Kansas. You can add California to that list too, as well as NY & NJ. The remaining BE BB teams, even minus the football teams, will be fine, and if they do add teams like Xavier, Butler and St. Joes, they will be a very strong league.

It makes sense that your wife from the south doesn't know those schools. Mine is from Boston and couldn't tell you anything about Auburn or Tennessee. Football rules there and basketball rules here.

Reaction Score
I really don't think they have much of a following. Most people outside New England, NY and NJ, DC don't pay attention to the bball schools. I consistently have to explain to people in Florida that St Johns, PC etc. were relevant programs. People under 30 don't even realize that anymore. My wife is a southerner and she has no clue who any of the bball schools are other than Georgetown. She knows Nova from the Final Four a few years ago, but she doesn't consider them a name. You find out a lot more about perception of your program by talking to non sports fans. They only know the big names and other than Georgetown, the bball schools are not big names.

I agree completely. Georgetown is the only household name of the bunch for the non or even casual sports follower.

Reaction Score
I disagree with this entirely. Living in Northern California, I saw more UConn hats than probably any other school, including Cal and Stanford. Everyone I talked to knew exactly who St. Johns was and the other BE schools. None of them could name the schools in the SEC, or the ACC aside from UNC and Duke. College football isn't that popular outside of the midwest and south. Clearly basketball leads over football in places like Indiana, NC, Kentucky and Kansas. You can add California to that list too, as well as NY & NJ. The remaining BE BB teams, even minus the football teams, will be fine, and if they do add teams like Xavier, Butler and St. Joes, they will be a very strong league.

It makes sense that your wife from the south doesn't know those schools. Mine is from Boston and couldn't tell you anything about Auburn or Tennessee. Football rules there and basketball rules here.

I don't count UConn as a bball school by the way. I was referring to the small private bball only schools being fairly unknown. The Northeast is so small geographically that everyone has heard of every school in the area. It doesn't mean that those schools are known for sports.

California has tons of transplanted northeasterners. I go to San Francisco fairly often and am always amazed at the UConn presence there. The women's basketball team goes a long way in marketing UConn nationally as well. UConn and Tennessee have huge national followings in women's bball and thats a big advantage for us in getting brand exposure.

I think the A10 types and the Big East bball schools will suffer. The money, notoriety and glamour of the big schools will eventually eclipse them. They just can't compete with the facilities etc.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
>> Texas A&M and Notre Dame drew a slightly larger audience for their NCAA Division I women’s basketball national championship game than did last year’s final between perennial powers Connecticut and Stanford.

The game on ESPN registered a 2.8 Nielsen rating, up from 2.7 last year, with an average audience of 3.8 million viewers, up from 3.5 million in 2010.<<

It doesn't matter what we say. There's ratings books, some demographic targets, and all things being equal, advertisers will go with the familiar names as a tie breaker. Notre Dame doesn't need a huge edge in basketball to get some love from ESPN. They pull better than most NBA teams except for the usual Lakers Celts thing

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
they see their conference is in jeopardy

and they see ND only cares about ND

bout time

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
This is good start. Especially if they follow-up those harsh words with a stern talking to.

I'd add a threatening glare and occasional finger pointing as well.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Villanova's President has to be getting roasted by his alumni right now. They have been begging him to upgrade for over a decade, warning him this day would come, and he did nothing. I believe he even said, within the last year, that the $40 million it would cost to upgrade Villanova's program would be better spent on the arts. You can agree or disagree with that statement, but it is clear what his position was.

Now it has hit the fan, and he has a big problem and may lose his job over this, and he is taking it out on Temple. What a .

Reaction Score
Funny how karma could be a real bitch for the Irish!
Len Robbins of The Post writes today:

"All of the Big East schools held a conference call on Monday. That was followed by a basketball-members call on Tuesday and an FBS call yesterday. One source told The Post the basketball call was particularly heated, with some harsh words delivered to Notre Dame, which competes in the Big East in all sports except football, in which it is independent."

I guess there is a first time for everything. I wonder what was said and who said it.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Villanova's President has to be getting roasted by his alumni right now. They have been begging him to upgrade for over a decade,Now it has hit the fan, and he has a big problem and may lose his job over this, and he is taking it out on Temple. What a .

Yes, he's the in danger of becoming the new Flipper.

The man who destroyed the house that Rollie built redux.

Nova Blocking Temple

>>
There are now a variety reports—New York Post, Philadelphia Daily News, Star-Ledger—that Villanova officials spent their time during Tuesday's Big East conference call doing their utmost to undermine Temple's admission to the Big East.

The reports vary from VU simply pointing out other expansion options to the entire call breaking down over "'Nova bashing Temple rather than making a strong case for the league to consider the Wildcats' potential in football<<

http://www.the700level.com/10/13/11...le-from-Full-Big-/landing_ncaa&blockID=576760

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Add, Xavier, Butler, and Gonzaga to the list of BB schools nobody wants to watch.
And Providence

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Waquoit said: "This is good start. Especially if they follow-up those harsh words with a stern talking to."'
Then a strongly worded letter?

Let's not get crazy here. Maybe the next step is just a "Dude WTF???" text.

Reaction Score
Villanova's President has to be getting roasted by his alumni right now. They have been begging him to upgrade for over a decade, warning him this day would come, and he did nothing. I believe he even said, within the last year, that the $40 million it would cost to upgrade Villanova's program would be better spent on the arts. You can agree or disagree with that statement, but it is clear what his position was.

Now it has hit the fan, and he has a big problem and may lose his job over this, and he is taking it out on Temple. What a .

He did the right thing. Whether he loses his job over it is totally irrelevant.

Reaction Score
I would love nothing more than for the 15 schools to tell ND it's time to be all in or all out, but until that happens there's no point in being upset with ND for accepting a good deal when it's offered to them.

And calling them a parasite is ridiculous. They bring way more value to the basketball contract than Rutgers, DePaul, USF, Providence, Seton Hall, and others.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
1) Villinova is upset about Temple.
2) WV and a contingent (which football schools) want to invite Boise but some schools (which football schools) don't want to play against such a strong opponent.
3) BB schools want 5 million escape clause for themselves and 10 million for football schools.
4) Football schools might agree to 10 million but WV and Louisville might be against this.
5) Marinatto can meet with potential future BE schools, but must get approval of university presidents before making invitations.

There is too much disharmony. And it isn't coming from Marinatto who is just a puppet to the presidents. And it isn't just coming from the bb schools because the football schools can't get their together either.

Reaction Score
Funny how karma could be a real bitch for the Irish!
Wish UConn had that karma. ND will have their pick of leagues if/when the time comes for them to go all in. Nobody else can say that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't see them holding on to the Garden beyond the current contract if they lose all the football schools.
And who else would play there?

Reaction Score
Wish UConn had that karma. ND will have their pick of leagues if/when the time comes for them to go all in. Nobody else can say that.
I do too...but it will be something they take begrudgingly...they want their cake and want to eat it too by remaining independent in football. Their act is getting VERY old!

Reaction Score
The only basketball programs in the ACC that bring national interest are Duke and North Carolina. In football, maybe FSU and VT? Boise State has more national interest than both programs right now. BS beat VT.

Reaction Score
The only basketball programs in the ACC that bring national interest are Duke and North Carolina. In football, maybe FSU and VT? Boise State has more national interest than both programs right now. BS beat VT.

Duke, UNC, and Maryland have all won recent titles and have strong national followings in basketball. Add in Syracuse (with a recent title) and Pitt (large alumni base, recent success) and it is a very good basketball conference. More top-heavy than the BE, but not as deep.

FSU, Clemson, and VT have far more fans nationally than Boise. A random fan may turn on a Boise game (a la the Fiesta Bowl a couple of years back vs. OU) for a David v. Golliath thing, but they don't yet have a consistent, strong, national following. Especially not one on par with those three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom