NY Post: Basketball schools deliver harsh words to Notre Dame | The Boneyard

NY Post: Basketball schools deliver harsh words to Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Len Robbins of The Post writes today:

"All of the Big East schools held a conference call on Monday. That was followed by a basketball-members call on Tuesday and an FBS call yesterday. One source told The Post the basketball call was particularly heated, with some harsh words delivered to Notre Dame, which competes in the Big East in all sports except football, in which it is independent."

I guess there is a first time for everything. I wonder what was said and who said it.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
DePaul was angry. When EF Depaul speaks, everyone listens.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Notre Dame is scared tless that the basketball onlies may actually be standing up to the Football schools. If that is the case, then Notre Dame will lose their precious independence and be forced to join a conference.

Notre Dame thought they could control the rest of the catholic schools into protecting the conference. Unfortunately, they are starting to see the writing on the wall and are flipping out! For the first time in history, Notre Dame needs the basketball onlies much more than the basketball onlies need Notre Dame. Karma is a bitch!

Reaction Score
Maybe ND told the BBalls that they were considering going to the ACC and UConn would likely be right behind them.

I'm allowed to fantasize.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
What's the worst case scenerio if ND gets kicked out? Nothing changes for the football schools, but that would decrease the basketball product.

Reaction Score
ND is the reason this all happened in the first place. If ND joined for football back in 2003 when everything started, no defections to ACC would have happened. The conference would have been awesome, and on solid ground.
UConn
Miami
VTech
Cuse
Rutgers
ND
BC
Pitt
WV

The conference would have been in position to raid the ACC and maybe get Penn State back to get 3 schools.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm skeptical, but if it did happen it demonstrates that the basketball schools, or at least some of them, really do understand that they will be big losers if/when the Big East implodes. And they realize that ND has been playing them for a long long time.

Reaction Score
I dont' understand the discussion. The original post didn't provide us enough information to have something to reasonably discuss.

Wouldn't we need to know what the dispute was about to say anything?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
You have to wonder if Notre Dame told the catholic schools years ago that they would step in and save the Big East by joining the conference at the last minute in order to save the conference if it ever got to that point. Now they are seeing that Notre Dame was just lying to them in order to control them into giving them a place to house their non-football programs.

Not a likely scenario...but you never know!

Reaction Score
Their is no reason why a BE hoops and olympic sports confernce couldnt stay together.

Reaction Score
I guaranty you ND never told the Catholic schools that. Despite constant discussion on the topic on message boards, the Irish have always been perfectly clear to the world and the Big East that they had no intentions of ever joining the Big East in football.

If I had to guess, this was more likely about the Catholics being surprised that ND wouldn't stay with them for hoops if the football schools splintered off in five different directions.

Reaction Score
BB school: "If you joined, none of this happens."
Notre Dame: "So what. We aren't joining."
BB school: " you."
Notre Dame: " you, too."
BB school and Notre Dame together: " you, too, Marinatto."

Reaction Score
I dont' understand the discussion. The original post didn't provide us enough information to have something to reasonably discuss.

Wouldn't we need to know what the dispute was about to say anything?
Hell no! We're going to speculate. It's what we do.

Reaction Score
Their is no reason why a BE hoops and olympic sports confernce couldnt stay together.

It could stay toghether but nobody would pay good money for the rights to televise it or watch it. I sure would not be interested in their product. I'm really not sure who the target audience would be outside of the small fanbases for most of their schools. The only ones anyone cares about are Georgetown and Nova. The rest have extemely limited followings and no national interest.

Reaction Score
It could stay toghether but nobody would pay good money for the rights to televise it or watch it. I sure would not be interested in their product. I'm really not sure who the target audience would be outside of the small fanbases for most of their schools. The only ones anyone cares about are Georgetown and Nova. The rest have extemely limited followings and no national interest.

Disagree.

Reaction Score
Disagree.

We'll probably get the chance to find out sooner or later so we'll just have to wait and see how well they do. I just don't undestand who finds Seton Hall - Providence or St. John's - Marquette to be must see TV. Georgetown - Villanova is still a decent match up but it remains to be determined if their recruiting would fall of a cliff without being attached to the large public football playing schools of the current Big East.

Reaction Score
Disagree.

I really don't think they have much of a following. Most people outside New England, NY and NJ, DC don't pay attention to the bball schools. I consistently have to explain to people in Florida that St Johns, PC etc. were relevant programs. People under 30 don't even realize that anymore. My wife is a southerner and she has no clue who any of the bball schools are other than Georgetown. She knows Nova from the Final Four a few years ago, but she doesn't consider them a name. You find out a lot more about perception of your program by talking to non sports fans. They only know the big names and other than Georgetown, the bball schools are not big names.

Reaction Score
We'll probably get the chance to find out sooner or later so we'll just have to wait and see how well they do. I just don't undestand who finds Seton Hall - Providence or St. John's - Marquette to be must see TV. Georgetown - Villanova is still a decent match up but it remains to be determined if their recruiting would fall of a cliff without being attached to the large public football playing schools of the current Big East.

You think a university s football team helps hoops receuiting?

Reaction Score
Add, Xavier, Butler, and Gonzaga to the list of BB schools nobody wants to watch.
I don't know about Gonzaga, they have a great west coast following. Butler with the last two championship games on it's resume isn't all that bad either.
BTW, FriarJ, aren't you the one who stated you hope UConn & Rutgers get stuck in some cluster duck of a conference a few weeks ago on PC's board? Thanks for the kind wishes.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom