NY Daily News: Hoops schools meeting today | The Boneyard

NY Daily News: Hoops schools meeting today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Being the best basketball conference is sort of like being the best typewriter maker. Time has passed the Big East by. That is a hard thing for those schools to get, and a hard thing for northeastern fans who tend to be basketball-centric, to understand and accept. The old football drives the bus line was proven yet again this weekend, though. Basketball is totally irrelevent to any of this conference realighnment.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Pitt and Syracuse can forget ever playing any of the catholic schools again.

I doubt that's much of a concern. They are moving on to bigger and better... I hope we do too. We can't let sentimentality get in the way of what's best for our university.

F

fortebleedsblue

I doubt that's much of a concern. They are moving on to bigger and better... I hope we do too. We can't let sentimentality get in the way of what's best for our university.

+1 ... Though we all love to watch basketball ...the reality is in the world of the big boys (unless your duke) ...Football > Basketball.

Reaction Score
Big East basketball schools meeting. I think a split is coming soon. The football schools are just too much drama. Pitt and Syracuse can forget ever playing any of the catholic schools again.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...9-19_big_east_schools_eye_split.html?r=sports
Do you think that is going to bother Pitt and Cuse? Ohhhh, I lost the Providence, Marquette and Seton Hall games. I think Gtown will schedule some OOC games with both of them, Nova and St John's too. All 3 can fill some huge arenas for those games and help their RPI's out. Not to mention the TV dollars they will get. Think Uconn will schedule them for OOC on some basis? If you say no, I will lay you some big odds.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Obviously Pitt was willing to take that risk, or they wouldn't have moved leagues. Pitt recruits NYC very heavily, and at the end of the day, it will be a Big East city.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Cuse is shaking in their boots. At least it's nice to see the BB onlies being proactive and looking out for the league (lol).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
+1 ... Though we all love to watch basketball ...the reality is in the world of the big boys (unless your duke) ...Football > Basketball.

If you were right, how come there are so many more D1A basketball programs than football programs. The Big East (assuming that is what the hoops league is called) will do just fine without the football schools.

The bigger issue is that UConn's options are shrinking pretty quickly. Parking our hoops program in the Big East may not be an option for UConn if the ACC or Big 10 don't come through.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I believe that the BB schools will become the next A10......

Right, because basketball only schools have been so unsuccessful in the NCAA tournament in recent years. If the 7 hoops onlies split, add Butler and Xavier, they will have 4 teams with Final Fours in the last 10 years and Xavier has made a couple of Final 8's. But yeah, they will suck.

We are in a lot more trouble than they are right now. They don't have a massive football program that may not have a conference in a week or two.

Reaction Score
I did not say the A10 sucked. You have a habit of adding "insight" into other posts....

I said they become like the A10 and with it comes the associated TV money.....

Reaction Score
I did not say the A10 sucked. You have a habit of adding "insight" into other posts....

Or lack thereof, well played sir...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

You implied something, which I highlighted. Don't argue semantics.

They will do just fine with TV money. $8-10MM team/year is not out of the question with those markets and those programs.

Reaction Score
You implied something, which I highlighted. Don't argue semantics.

They will do just fine with TV money. $8-10MM team/year is not out of the question with those markets and those programs.

So, UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville were only worth $1 million a year to ESPN as far as its basketball contract, but somehow St. John's and G'town, etc., are worth about 8-10 times more than UConn, Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville? Hard to believe.

Reaction Score
Obviously Pitt was willing to take that risk, or they wouldn't have moved leagues. Pitt recruits NYC very heavily, and at the end of the day, it will be a Big East city.
Oh stop it nelson...Let's see, I can go to Pitt and compete for a national Championship or Providence and maybe make the NIT... I know you love the Big East and despise that it has a football side, but the reality is that the basketball league is probably going to survive as a lesser entity.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It'll be a bit more than what the A-10 is now, and a lot less than what the Big East is now. Not a bad place to be if you're PC or St. John's but it's not the Big East.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Oh stop it nelson...Let's see, I can go to Pitt and compete for a national Championship or Providence and maybe make the NIT... I know you love the Big East and despise that it has a football side, but the reality is that the basketball league is probably going to survive as a lesser entity.

Good point, because Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette and Butler have not made the Final Four in the last 10 years.

Reaction Score
Don't really care about the non-football schools of the Big East. Once football became established in the BE, it should have become an all sports conference - like the ACC, the SEC, the Big 12, the Big 10 and the PAC 10. Not some crazy conglomeration of football & hoops, hoops only, or in for all sports except football.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If you were right, how come there are so many more D1A basketball programs than football programs. The Big East (assuming that is what the hoops league is called) will do just fine without the football schools.

The bigger issue is that UConn's options are shrinking pretty quickly. Parking our hoops program in the Big East may not be an option for UConn if the ACC or Big 10 don't come through.

I've always wondered if the dilution of the bb programs hurt the major bb programs. If the major bb programs divorced themselves from the NCAA and formed their own version of the BCS they would have had similar negotiating powers as the football teams in the BCS conferences. But that opportunity has come and gone. So basketball makes money but football makes more because of supply and demand.

The move by Cuse and Pitt doesn't guarantee anything for them or the ACC. The first poaching by the ACC proved that. And a super strong football conference doesn't guarantee anything. The B12 proved that. There is no way of knowing if the football schools had split from the bb schools what would have happened. There is no way of knowing if the BE accepted the ESPN contract what would have happened. In the end most of us are placing logic on a situation that is as much driven by emotion.

Many fans targeted the ACC, Miami and BC for backstabbing the BE conference. And many of the same people are hoping UConn can do the same thing. So many of us hate greed, but in the end most people are looking for the most $$ and don't see the cup half full. If a conference lags behind other conferences in $$, even if the conference is doing very well, it isn't good enough. The BE was a good conference and made money. But jealousies, envy, insecurity, desire and intolerance will win out every time.

Almost every poster enjoyed seeing the failure that the additions of Miami and BC brought to the ACC. That move did not hurt the BE in football and ended up allowing the BE to leap ahead of the ACC in basketball. But some of the BE football schools were convinced that the bb only schools were to blame for the weakness with their football programs. That's the excuse they needed to bolt. But they will fail if they believe their shortcomings can be overcome by just going to a new environment.

Syracuse, and to a lesser extent Pitt, are trying to regain their glory days and are hoping the jump to the ACC will be the fix for their downward slide. But the ACC will give them nothing that the BE already provided to make up for bad coaching and bad recruiting.

I'm happy it was reported UConn had worked to maintain the BE. IMO this was the higher ground. The extra millions that JC turned down after the 2001 season, or JoePa giving back his salary to the University are anomalies in this day and age. Everybody wants the quick buck and the extra buck. And everybody justifies their entitlement to it. UConn may have no choice in seeking other conferences. But I'm not sure ending up in any new or altered conference will significantly change the outcome of its sports or academics in spite of all our protestations otherwise.

Reaction Score
Yes, I'm sure the Orangemen faithful are going to sorely miss the great games against seton hall, providence, SJU, and Marquette. We will be very unhappy being forced to play Duke, UNC, Pitt, Maryland, and UCONN (You are coming to the ACC and its going to be great guys)

Reaction Score
I believe that the BB schools will become the next A10......
I think you're being kind Stinger. The Catholic Basketball schools in the Big East do suck and have been in decline for the past 15 years. In the past 15 years a catholic bball school has won the Big East tourney only twice, St Johns, Providence, and Seton Hall all suck now, relative to the success we have seen the FB schools have in bball (Cuse, UCONN, Pitt, WVU). Nova is trying to upgrade their football program but it will be a tough road to hoe. The glory days of St Johns, Georgetown, Providence and Seton Hall are just talk now.

Reaction Score
Good point, because Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette and Butler have not made the Final Four in the last 10 years.
Last I looked Butler was not in the Big East, and neither was Marquette when they went. Georgetown and Villanova were helped by the fact that they got to play UCONN, Pitt, Syracuse every year. Look, there are anomolies, Butler is one, Marquette pre-Big East was one. Gonzaga maybe. But you can name them on one hand. Basketball only schools that can regularly compete at the highest level. The last non-football school to actually win a national championship was UCONN in 1999. Before that you have to go all the way back to UNLV in 1990, then Villanova in 1985. Interesting note that UCONN was beginning to upgrade its football program the following year, while UNLV ultimately upgraded as well. In the last 20 years, fo rthe 80 potential final four berths there have been 8 basketball only schools in the final Four. Only UCONN which was an anomonly in many ways, managed to win the whole thing. Several, George Mason, this year's VCU and I'd argue Butler in 11 but not 2010, were really flukes.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Butler more of a fluke returning after a final appearance than as...Butler?

Reaction Score
Being the best basketball conference is sort of like being the best typewriter maker. Time has passed the Big East by. That is a hard thing for those schools to get, and a hard thing for northeastern fans who tend to be basketball-centric, to understand and accept. The old football drives the bus line was proven yet again this weekend, though. Basketball is totally irrelevent to any of this conference realighnment.

Basketball is not only relevant, I'd argue, it's the reason ESPN is meddling with this whole thing. BE basketball not on ESPN - they couldn't have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom