NY Daily News Editorial today Roger Rubin UConn: Rejoin BE! | The Boneyard

NY Daily News Editorial today Roger Rubin UConn: Rejoin BE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Roger Rubin suggests UConn re join the BE. He states that UConn is not a big time football school. He also states that UConn is hoping to join either the ACC or the Big 12, but he believes that no one outside of CT cares about our football program. Of course, he fails to mention the success of the football program prior to the hiring of the last disastrous coach and the AD who brought the school to it's knees. He also fails to explain how any cares about Rutgers football, yet they are in the B1G of all conferences. I think UConn nation needs to set this guy straight. He did not include an email address after his article. He believes that UConn would be thrilled to double it's TV revenue by joining the BE.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yeah, seriously . Somebody hide this from Nelson. I can't take any more of this nonsense. Can we at least wait to see how Bob Diaco does before cutting football and 2/3 of our athletic department in the process? Do we really have to point to Rutgers, Maryland, Cuse, Pitt, and BC for other examples of fledgling football attendance figures to restate the obvious? PATIENCE!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
That was about as uniformed an article as I've seen in a long time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'd rather be in the AAC than the BE even for basketball. No BE school is going to be able to hire Larry Brown.

You realize that the Big East schools left because of schools like SMU, right?

Reaction Score

No - I don't realize that. I think that the Big East schools left because of schools like Notre Dame, Boston College, Miami, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and West Virginia. I think they left because the head guy at St. John's convinced the head guy at Georgetown that dealing with division 1A football wasn't worth it anymore. The rest of the priesthood fell in line. I think time will tell that it was a poor choice.

Reaction Score
Lunardi's "too soon" bracket has both UConn and SMU as #4 Seeds FWIW.

Edit: And Tulsa as an 11 Seeed.

Reaction Score
No - I don't realize that. I think that the Big East schools left because of schools like Notre Dame, Boston College, Miami, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and West Virginia. I think they left because the head guy at St. John's convinced the head guy at Georgetown that dealing with division 1A football wasn't worth it anymore. The rest of the priesthood fell in line. I think time will tell that it was a poor choice.
The reason they gave for leaving was the addition of Tulane. Ironically a private school with significant academic prestige.
The real reason is they had been negotiating their own deal ,even as their poor commissioner, housed in Providence was trying to sell the Big East to the Networks.
Their original aim was to destroy the conference and make off with the not so unsubstantial assets including NCAA money and exit fees.

Reaction Score
That was about as uniformed an article as I've seen in a long time.
That is why I had to start this thread. I have never started one before, and I rarely buy the Daily News, but I wanted to see what they said about our women's team, when I came across the editorial. My blood started to boil. The world needs to know UConn is not going back to Seton Hall, SJU, or Providence. Villanova will be our cupcake. No mention of the how Rutgers is more worthy than UConn to be in a P5, yet they are.

Reaction Score
The BE catholic schools are the ones that ultimately destroyed the conference. Rather than encouraging the development of a strong football division, they let it flounder and then implode. Narrow minded thinking on the part of the catholic schools. I was shocked when this writer claimed that there are rumblings that UConn wants to rejoin the BE. Where could that illusion have possibly come from?

Reaction Score
I would be much happier to stay in the AAC, knowing that we are the powerhouse everyone wants to catch up to, than seek to join the Big East and look like we believe that we are the peers of those institutions. We are so far above those schools its not even funny. We may be that far ahead of the AAC schools too, but we don't have to look like we want to join the likes of the Big East.

Reaction Score
I knew that UConn's perception was low around the country but after reading a bunch of articles and listening to the radio and TV talking heads these last couple days, I realized our perception is even lower than I thought, especially due to football. Watching and hearing Michael Kay (), Kornheiser and so many others botch what really happened with our one year ban is even more of a joke. Francessa said we weren't the same UConn as we were with Calhoun at the beginning of the tourney and now says we are great at bball obviously but not big enough football wise to get into the B10. Boomer told Carton last week that he was really surprised at how big the UConn presence was at MSG and didnt know we had that many fans. My favorite Joe Boningo on the Fan 660 (because im a Mets fan) asked his cohort if Connecticut was apart of New England or was it considered a Mid -Atlantic state. I was completely surprised when not one of cohorts on Fan could answer his question if CT was a New England state (they were dead serious too). The northeast media outlets (especially NY and ESPN) are really oblivious to how much UConn has accomplished in the last 16 years due to Pro sports being the bigger topic around here. The last 2 days have certainly helped fuel the conference discussion but I just can't believe how UConn's football perception is absolutely killing us yet we have been identical or better than the football at Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, BC and on and on...yet our football is the detriment? Give me a break...Of all the teams that have moved to a new conference, especially from the old big east (BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers and Louisville), UConn is the one left behind because of football? After what happened the last 2 days, this whole situation is very bizarre and truly unbelievable. On a side i Still can't believe UConn won both again!! Especially the men.

Reaction Score
New Yorkers think of Ct as part of the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT). They couldn't care less about New England let alone what states are in it. The northern 2/3 of CT considers the tristate area to be MA, CT, RI. The people there generally have no idea that CT is part of another tristate area as well. They couldn't care less about NY and NJ.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Joe and Evan conversation on UConn was funny. Joe seriously didn't know if Connecticut was a New England state but at the same time was arguing that UConn was a New England school.

He did finish his comments by saying that they play home games at the Garden - even after he spent the prior five minutes saying UConn was more Boston than New York.

Reaction Score
The BE catholic schools are the ones that ultimately destroyed the conference. Rather than encouraging the development of a strong football division, they let it flounder and then implode. Narrow minded thinking on the part of the catholic schools. I was shocked when this writer claimed that there are rumblings that UConn wants to rejoin the BE. Where could that illusion have possibly come from?
He must read the BY. or Nelson is his ghost writer.

Reaction Score
So Connecticut is part as part of the NYC Tri-state area, sits in New England, has strong academics (top 20 public), a successful athletic University (to quote Jaws "we need a bigger trophy case".... RU fans, a trophy case is a cabinet like structure where a school displays their championship trophies, you may know it as a "Participation Case" ;) ), and UConn is still in the AAC. That makes sense.

Reaction Score
Lunardi's "too soon" bracket has both UConn and SMU as #4 Seeds FWIW.

Edit: And Tulsa as an 11 Seeed.
He also has Cincinnati as one of his last four out.

I think people are sleeping a little on Memphis. I think they'll be solid again next year.

Reaction Score
The new new new Big East is a failure. People are still attached to the name.

Reaction Score
The new new new Big East is a failure. People are still attached to the name.
Didn't read the article, but part of the premise has to be that no league that UConn is affiliated with for Basketball will be a failure. See this year's AAC as exhibit A. UConn would bring back buzz to the BE tournament at MSG. Still BE told us to go find another home because we play football so them. We will continue to drub their conference champs if we run into them in the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom