Nurse best rookie? PIE says yes! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nurse best rookie? PIE says yes!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So Wilson was the anointed player of the year in WCBB at the beginning of last year .. . And is already anointed Rookie of the year in the Wnba. I don't recall any complaints back in the fall of 2015, or in May of 2016 :rolleyes:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Sure thing. Given that from the start of her senior year she was automatically anointed as the NPOY, and given she's already been anointed as the ROY, I'd say yeah, it's all about trying to drive interest to the game, and 'advance the story'. She's the new face. She gets all the pub, yet Kia has played just as well as A'ja, and Kia comes off the bench. Kia's averaging 19 PPG, 4 RPB, 2.5 APG, and 1.3 SPG. But please, carry on with your blinders in place...:rolleyes:

A'ja is averaging more points per game and is playing fewer minutes per game. Prior to Saturday, A'ja had 3 20-point games and Kia had zero. So yeah, A'ja was rightfully considered the RoY frontrunner.

@HuskyFan1125 mentioned hearing A'ja Rookie of the Year hype during Aces games. I watched the Aces-Sky broadcast last night. The Sky commentators mentioned Nurse's excellent game and discussed how much color commentator Stephen Bardo was impressed by her game against the Sky. So her strong play is being discussed in completely unrelated games. I don't know what more you want.

A'ja's going to win ROY for the same reason she won NPOY. She's an extraordinary basketball player.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I made the best pie ever the other day. Chocolate sweet potato and pecan pie with a coconut, brown sugar and butter topping in a french pastry crust.

And you didn't FedEx one to your good buddy up here in North Carolina?
cute-sad-puppy-face.jpg

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A'ja is averaging 21.0 ppg and 7.7 rpg and has scored 20+ in her last 4 games. This last game was Kia's first 20-point game. But please, carry on with the conspiracy talk :rolleyes:
A'ja is the number one option in her offense, and like most forwards, her responsibilties on court are far less than any guard. Plus she's what, four or five inches taller? Forwards are worthless without someone who gets them the ball. I'm not saying A'ja isn't a candidate for ROY, but good guards are harder and rarer to come by. To me good guards win championships, not forwards.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
A'ja is the number one option in her offense, and like most forwards, her responsibilties on court are far less than any guard. Plus she's what, four or five inches taller? Forward are worthless without someone who gets them the ball.

I will accept this post insofar as it can plausibly be interpreted as praise for Lindsay Allen and Kayla McBride.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I will accept this post insofar as it can plausibly be interpreted as praise for Lindsay Allen and Kayla McBride.
Well, actually it's praise for Sue Bird, D The GOAT, and our crossyourfingers future array of talent like Diggins, Moriah, and yeah MAYBE Lindsay and Kayla.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well, actually it's praise for Sue Bird, D The GOAT, and our crossyourfingers future array of talent like Diggins, Moriah, and yeah MAYBE Lindsay and Kayla.

Huh, I thought it might apply to the players who actually play with Wilson since that is who we are talking about.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Huh, I thought it might apply to the players who actually play with Wilson since that is who we are talking about.
Actually we were talking about your original reaction about conspiracy talk. You somehow thought that my reaction meant giving more credit to A'ja's guards. That was not the case. In fact my reaction was about how being a good all around guard as as rookie is far more difficult than the forward position IMO, and that being a great guard is the catalyst toward championships, not forward. And remember, I am and always will be a big A'ja lover.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Actually we were talking about your original reaction about conspiracy talk. You somehow thought that my reaction meant giving more credit to A'ja's guards. That was not the case. In fact my reaction was about how being a good all around guard as as rookie is far more difficult than the forward position IMO, and that being a great guard is the catalyst toward championships, not forward. And remember, I am and always will be a big A'ja lover.

I was joking about LA and KMac in my first post but it's also the logical conclusion of what you're are saying. "Forwards are worthless without someone who gets them the ball" But A'ja is obviously not worthless. So someone must be doing a good job getting her the ball, right?

Then I just got confused as to what Sue and DT have to do with anything. I guess just being examples of great guards?

"Good guards win championships, not forwards" The last three WNBA Finals MVPs are Fowles, Candace Parker, and Fowles again.

But let's not lose sight of the real point - A'ja is deservedly the Rookie of the Year favorite because she's playing really great. If Kia stays playing at this level, she'll get her plaudits, too.

But again, 4 20-point games for A'ja, 1 for Kia (granted the Liberty have played 2 fewer games). The rest of the world doesn't grade on a curve that gives more credit to shorter players.

Reaction Score
Another amazing stat for Wilson that stands out to me are the 10 FTA per game average. Not only does that lead all rookies, it leads the whole league.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I was joking about LA and KMac in my first post but it's also the logical conclusion of what you're are saying. "Forwards are worthless without someone who gets them the ball" But A'ja is obviously not worthless. So someone must be doing a good job getting her the ball, right?

Then I just got confused as to what Sue and DT have to do with anything. I guess just being examples of great guards?

"Good guards win championships, not forwards" The last three WNBA Finals MVPs are Fowles, Candace Parker, and Fowles again.

But let's not lose sight of the real point - A'ja is deservedly the Rookie of the Year favorite because she's playing really great. If Kia stays playing at this level, she'll get her plaudits, too.

But again, 4 20-point games for A'ja, 1 for Kia (granted the Liberty have played 2 fewer games). The rest of the world doesn't grade on a curve that gives more credit to shorter players.
I partially agree with you. Forward's tend to win MVP's. But coaches know that good guards are the linchpin, and most of them will tell you great guards are the key to championship teams, not forwards. Forwards also tend to make the big splash in games and in a series, and initially on the pro level. Guards take a while to develop. I'm now and forever an A'ja lover, and she'll probably deserve the ROY award. But without great guard play she'll forever be in the championship "friend" zone. And again, when you're the primary option it doesn't take great guard play to get you the ball. Especially when the coach harps on it every practice.

Now, I'm probably preaching to someone that agrees with me. But there's a reason Kevin Durant ran to a guard oriented team that shares the ball. A team that was a tiny team relative to others in the NBA before his arrival (which Barkley never fails to remind us). Even though Durant, unlike most forwards, can create his own shot. All the forwards you've mentioned, Fowles, and Parker have excellent guards and Fowles has the benefit of Maya as well. Was it 4 from Minny that played in the last Olympics or 5? That team spreads the floor leaving 6'6" Fowles one on one at the block. A big advantage. Place her on a team with lesser guards and things might be different. I mean, don't ask me. Just ask Geno which position is the most important on a championship team, not me. If all it took were great bigs to win why has a team like the Pelican's failed with Boogie and Davis. Miami won two championships with a Lebron playing guard/point forward and Wade. Chicago, Detroit, the Laker teams. The Bruise Brothers on Detroit made the splash, but Thomas and Dumars won them their championships. On and on.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Another amazing stat for Wilson that stands out to me are the 10 FTA per game average. Not only does that lead all rookies, it leads the whole league.
A'ja is getting the same calls she got while in college. I wonder if opposing players or coaches will adjust? Or if the refs will adjust? Just as with Skylar, that's a huge part of her game.

JordyG

Reaction Score
A'ja is getting the same calls she got while in college. I wonder if opposing players or coaches will adjust? Or if the refs will adjust? Just as with Skylar, that's a huge part of her game.
I'm not the first to note this (thanks Colin Cowherd), but players that depend on the call as part of their game, Harden, Westbrook etc., have trouble during the playoffs when those calls aren't there. It also tends to frustrate them. Unlike those two however, A'ja isn't a guard that has to expel tons of energy on court. Iso-ball takes a lot of energy out of a player. Because of that I tend to believe that she'll be able to adjust her game during the playoffs.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm not the first to note this (thanks Colin Cowherd), but players that depend on the call as part of their game, Harden, Westbrook etc., have trouble during the playoffs when those calls aren't there. It also tends to frustrate them. Unlike those two however, A'ja isn't a guard that has to expel tons of energy on court. Iso-ball takes a lot of energy out of a player. Because of that I tend to believe that she'll be able to adjust her game during the playoffs.

You talking about this year's playoffs? :eek:

JordyG

Reaction Score

You talking about this year's playoffs? :eek:

LOL. Heck to the no! By the way, to make that Cleveland game worse, Draymond's foot was on the line before the free throw attempt.

Reaction Score
Folks, some Stats 01: 4 or 6 games is hardly a representative sample.

Second, the rookies have an element of surprise somewhat. Later in the season, coaches and players have seen the rookies, and developed scouting reports for the roles they've undertaken. Let's see how they perform then.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
A'ja is the number one option in her offense, and like most forwards, her responsibilties on court are far less than any guard. Plus she's what, four or five inches taller? Forwards are worthless without someone who gets them the ball. I'm not saying A'ja isn't a candidate for ROY, but good guards are harder and rarer to come by. To me good guards win championships, not forwards.

I would make the argument that "good point guards/facilitators" are harder and rarer to come by, not necessary good guards.

Also, if you look at recent history, 6 out of the last 8 WNBA Finals MVP winners were forwards or centers, not guards.

To counter the argument about A'ja Wilson, yes, she IS the number one option in her offense. But this means that she is the focal point of the opposing team's defense (and double teams). And since Las Vegas is last in the WNBA in three-point percentage, teams can sag off perimeter players and double down on Wilson. Yet she is still averaging 21.0 ppg and (on 46.6 percent shooting -- and if you take out her first game, she is shooting 51 percent from the field) and 7.7 rpg.

Kia Nurse is not the #1 option in NY. That player is Tina Charles, who is leading the entire WNBA in scoring and is 4th in rebounding, and who commands double teams and attention of the opposition's defensive schematics -- which allows Kia to have more open looks and better available shots to take, as well as clearing away space in the lines for Kia to drive and get fouled (and she has made her living at the foul line this year, getting there over 5 times per game and shooting over 96 percent).

And though Las Vegas now has Kayla McBride back to be the top perimeter player next to Wilson in the post, she is not "equal" to or in the same league as Tina Charles, in terms of who Nurse has as a teammate.

Again, there are multiple ways to look a rookie's numbers, the impact the rookie has on the team, etc. But this will be a great discussion to revisit at the All Star break, to see how this year's rookie class is performing.

Folks, some Stats 01: 4 or 6 games is hardly a representative sample.

Second, the rookies have an element of surprise somewhat. Later in the season, coaches and players have seen the rookies, and developed scouting reports for the roles they've undertaken. Let's see how they perform then.

I just posted my last comment above right before you posted, @vowelguy . 100 percent agree.

Reaction Score
Kia Nurse is still on average playing more minute per game than any other rookie while averaging 19 points per game. If she was a 1st or 2nd scoring option at UCONN maybe she could have been an All-American. So the says homer!

View attachment 31788
Of the top 10 rookies so far the only one not picked in the first round is Myisha Hines-Allen who was a 2nd rounder and the 19th selection. Many surprises but so far besides Nurse Aerial Atkins is a huge surprise. She is quick and smooth. Also surprised Wilson has been so good.

Last edited:

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Nurse is a lock for the All Rookie team and a future fixture in the All Star Game.

Sorry, that just gushed out. :p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom