Numbers Don't Lie | The Boneyard

Numbers Don't Lie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's important not to underestimate the impact on realignment of sheer population and demographics. Past glory or current ineptitude notwithstanding, it's the total number of households that cable network carriage fees would be tied to that resonates with the suits. Here are the numbers. If you were the B1G, which University (despite past glory, current strength/weakness of football programs, or stadium size) would you lean toward?

NUMBER OF HOUSEHOLDS

NY---7,408,730

NJ---2,238,448

CT---1,376,955

MA---2,587,868
ME---560,006
NH---522,867
RI---413,196
VT---259,015
All Six New England States---5,719,907

Number of living Rutgers Alumni---450,000
Number in NJ---300,000

Number of living UConn Alumni---220,000
Number in CT---125,000

This says the numbers work against us in a larger way than some imagined. The only offset would be the passion of households toward their University's athletics and their propensity to tune in---be willing to pay for--- the cable carriage of the B1G Network. Our ratings for SNY are an indicator but it takes a much larger percentage of CT households to offset the sheer size of the potential windfall looming in NJ. Thus, it's not that hard to discern that Rutgers was a logical choice for the B1G, however controversial. The good news is that as fewer and fewer candidates remain for the taking, we can become a very valuable asset. Our campus expansion, faculty growth, STEM investment, increased endowment, AAU attractiveness and rising rank among Public Universities will help enormously. What would also help in a "big" way is for our new look football Huskies to become "must see TV"-- especially throughout New England. Part of that will be demonstrated via our attendence as fans creating a dynamic atmosphere, coupled with an exciting brand of football on the field. Our audition begins this fall.

Number of Households

Alabama

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

District of Columbia

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming

2013 Source: Phoenix Marketing International

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm considered part of the Rutgers' DMA, so we only had one kid.

Reaction Score
The B1G was very clear that TV’s was the major reason why Rutgers got the invite with secondary considerations for AAU status and congruency with the B1G (PA). Facts do not lie in that Rutgers, regardless of athletic accomplishments, clearly beats UConn in all 3 categories. No hidden agenda. No backstabbing.

On the other hand, the ACC has made it very clear that it use whichever set of facts that ensures that UConn does not get an invite and those parameters will be adjusted each and every time that the ACC considers expansion.

Thus, my own personal feeling, which I know is shared by many hear, that while the ACC makes more sense rivalry wise, I prefer the B1G more.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
The B1G was very clear that TV’s was the major reason why Rutgers got the invite with secondary considerations for AAU status and congruency with the B1G (PA). Facts do not lie in that Rutgers, regardless of athletic accomplishments, clearly beats UConn in all 3 categories. No hidden agenda. No backstabbing.

On the other hand, the ACC has made it very clear that it use whichever set of facts that ensures that UConn does not get an invite and those parameters will be adjusted each and every time that the ACC considers expansion.

Thus, my own personal feeling, which I know is shared by many hear, that while the ACC makes more sense rivalry wise, I prefer the B1G more.
I agree, but I'll take either. Swofford, call me (er Susan)!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've reproduced three times in the past 4 1/2 years. I've done my part. Are you?
I'd feel better about your statement if you had a different avatar.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm considered part of the Rutgers' DMA, so we only had one kid.
FWIW, I don't believe that NJ has a DMA, just a shares of NYC and Philly's.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
FWIW, I don't believe that NJ has a DMA, just a shares of NYC and Philly's.

When you start fact-checking little jokes, you've started to take this place too seriously.

Reaction Score

So when the B1G added Nebraska, it was for the exact same reasons they added MD and RU?

The B1G, the SEC, The ACC and the Big 12 are all the same. They add what they see as the best value/revenue enhancement school whether it be for TV sets, TV ratings, bowl enhancement or whatever. None of them are consistent except that they exclude teams that have less than 50 years of Div 1/BCS history.

CL82

Reaction Score
When you start fact-checking little jokes, you've started to take this place too seriously.
No offense intended. The fact that RU got to the big boy table because NJ crams a ton of people into the NYC suburbs is a bit of sore point for me. I have a reoccurring dream where HFD starts a "U of C" to the B1G rumor and it turns out to be the University of Calcutta.

Reaction Score
So when the B1G added Nebraska, it was for the exact same reasons they added MD and RU?

The B1G, the SEC, The ACC and the Big 12 are all the same. They add what they see as the best value/revenue enhancement school whether it be for TV sets, TV ratings, bowl enhancement or whatever. None of them are consistent except that they exclude teams that have less than 50 years of Div 1/BCS history.

The B1G bought a football brand in Nebraska, one of the few colleges out there that have one. In Rutgers and Maryland, they bought TV sets and demographics. The B1G was very up front about the reason for all 3 additions. Unlike the ACC that changed the parameters during the search and had certain members openly talk about blacking balling a potential candidate all because of pretty jealously.

Reaction Score

CL82

Reaction Score
Sorry to dribble some peroxide in your sore but...

From yesterday: http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...the_new_york_media_market_with_open_arms.html
Saw it. There are a few interesting points it brings up. I liked this quote, until the last sentence.

The reception to the expansion from fans around the league has been mostly lukewarm, but Big Ten Network analyst Gerry DiNardo is excited about the additions of Rutgers and Maryland.
"I love it. To me, the more the better," said DiNardo, who coached at Indiana from 2002-04. "Let's expand East, expand West, expand South – wherever we can go. I think we're all chasing the SEC and I think the more competition, the more fertile recruiting ground, the better."

Reading between the lines, it seems like the move was more about east coast access than RU. I have a vague hope that some combination of the new STEM and research emphasis, athletic success and the need for additional NE regional access for existing B1G teams will result in an offer, but it doesn't seem all that likely does it?

Reaction Score
Saw it. There are a few interesting points it brings up. I liked this quote, until the last sentence.

Reading between the lines, it seems like the move was more about east coast access than RU. I have a vague hope that some combination of the new STEM and research emphasis, athletic success and the need for additional NE regional access for existing B1G teams will result in an offer, but it doesn't seem all that likely does it?

Eh - never say never. We need chaos to erupt.

Reaction Score
The B1G bought a football brand in Nebraska, one of the few colleges out there that have one. In Rutgers and Maryland, they bought TV sets and demographics. The B1G was very up front about the reason for all 3 additions. Unlike the ACC that changed the parameters during the search and had certain members openly talk about blacking balling a potential candidate all because of pretty jealously.
The B1G never broadcast they were expanding and here is the criteria. They explained their logic after it happened. They never came out and said "we are expanding and this time it is all about TV sets". After the first ACC expansion, the ACC never broadcast their expansion plans or their criteria. It is all after the fact that they explain why they chose a school and of course they always present it as the most logical ever. The ACC is no different than the B1G. The first ACC expansion was about growth and survival. Get to 12 and get a championship game. The second was about expanding the northeast footprint with schools that pleased primarily the BB schools and had a long football history that could enhance TV ratings and matchups. The last was about upgrading football and keeping FSU and Clemson happy, and, oh yeah, with the added benefit of a very strong BB program. Uconn fans don't understand being left out and that makes sense. Uconn fans believe they a much better choice than Pitt, Ville, RU, Cuse....if only objective criteria was used. But if it was so self evident that Uconn was the best choice, why is Uconn still in the AAC? The only answer that makes sense to me is that Uconn did not provide the same added value across the two big revenue sports using very specific criteria. Not a conspiracy, not blackballing, not ESPN. Just simple (probably very complex formulas) dollars and cents at the end of the process. As the original post states, numbers don't lie. All of these posts focus on the wrong number$.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
So you're saying I should kick the kids out or get a divorce to help us get out of the AAC? Consider it done.
So you're saying I should kick the kids out or get a divorce to help us get out of the AAC? Consider it done.

Kicking the kids out won't help, at least not in the near term. I doubt they're ready to set up house. A divorce would be marginally effective. The real answer is "Big Love" style polygamy where each wife gets her own household. Talk it over with the wife. I feel certain she'll see the logic and step up for the greater good.

CL82

Reaction Score
Plus if you order from the Asian bride ad you will be supporting the Boneyard. It's a twofer.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The B1G never broadcast they were expanding and here is the criteria. They explained their logic after it happened. They never came out and said "we are expanding and this time it is all about TV sets". After the first ACC expansion, the ACC never broadcast their expansion plans or their criteria. It is all after the fact that they explain why they chose a school and of course they always present it as the most logical ever. The ACC is no different than the B1G. The first ACC expansion was about growth and survival. Get to 12 and get a championship game. The second was about expanding the northeast footprint with schools that pleased primarily the BB schools and had a long football history that could enhance TV ratings and matchups. The last was about upgrading football and keeping FSU and Clemson happy, and, oh yeah, with the added benefit of a very strong BB program. Uconn fans don't understand being left out and that makes sense. Uconn fans believe they a much better choice than Pitt, Ville, RU, Cuse....if only objective criteria was used. But if it was so self evident that Uconn was the best choice, why is Uconn still in the AAC? The only answer that makes sense to me is that Uconn did not provide the same added value across the two big revenue sports using very specific criteria. Not a conspiracy, not blackballing, not ESPN. Just simple (probably very complex formulas) dollars and cents at the end of the process. As the original post states, numbers don't lie. All of these posts focus on the wrong number$.

06029 - good narrative but you are missing a HUGE COMPONENT - on the second expansion - we were going to be in with either Syracuse or Pitt but BC made the stink about us and since the ACC didn't really care- we were on the outside looking in. The long history of football had little to do with it - it was about expanding to the NORTHEAST to help BC and BC did not want us. Check the quotes from the DUke folks about BC's resistance to UCONN and competition and Da Flipper's quotes about UCONN and competition.

Reaction Score

With the B1G, you are correct as I previously stated. Rutgers had more to offer the B1G than UConn based on the key criteria cited - TV sets, access to NYC, AAU status, congruous to the B1G footprint, and one of the top states for football recruiting in the US.

You are not correct when it comes to the ACC. The southern flank of the ACC threatened to leave to the XII, which was likely a bluff, due to the perceived strength of Louisville over UConn, which today is correct; but, Louisville's success has been in the very recent time period and it's ungodly financial numbers are all creative accounting. That is blackmailing. During the prior round, it is documented that the ACC wanted UConn and Syracuse. BC kicked and screamed hiding behind 'hurt feelings' of the old lawsuit (which UConn was part of; but, so was Pitt) because they wanted to be 'New England's team' (New England is not a state by the way) and as they had been getting smacked around by UConn for the last 10 years, did not want to compete. Syracuse, after some thought, agreed with dumping UConn for Pitt as the only thing that Syracuse offers is the NYC market, which UConn is closer to and has equal to if not stronger presence in. That is blackballing.

Reaction Score
Almost depressing to read all this. Have a feeling it's going to be a long time for anything to happen that benefits us. Strange how it got this way. Most thought eventually the big east would split with the Catholic school's over football and years ago when somebody asked me about this I said we will be one of the first to be picked as to are success in bb both men's and woman's bb up and coming football program and soccer and now the upgrade of hockey. Well I was way off on that for sure.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Plus if you order from the Asian bride ad you will be supporting the Boneyard. It's a twofer.

As a side note, I was told that the ads on this site adjust themselves to your browser history. Asian brides, huh? Not sure how true that is, but right now, I'm looking at ads for SmartCarpet and also to learn more about constipation and diarrhea... :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom