Number 6.. just wow | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Number 6.. just wow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I remember after losing to Mississippi State in the Sweet 16 in 1996, I felt so dejected as I really wanted Ray Allen to make it to the Final Four. To go from that to tonight is going from one extreme to another

Eh, Ray's in the basketball Hall of Fame. He's smiling just the same.

Reaction Score
Eh, Ray's in the basketball Hall of Fame. He's smiling just the same.
Oh I am sure and with good reason. Winning 2 NBA title and an Olympic gold medal along with many other notable personal accomplishments. I was just explaining the extremes in emotion I felt from that day to today.

Reaction Score
This was a fun sidebar to write. Got Tom Moore as the nets were being cut to reflect on these two teams and the first two championship teams, which he was on staff for:

Reaction Score
Imagine heading into the ‘99 season someone telling you that UConn would have passed Indiana, Duke, and be tied with UNC in championships by 2024….
I remember after losing to UcLa in 95 i felt so dejected and i started thinking we wouldnt win a title and at best we might get to one final four which was all i was hoping. Just get to one final 4. I felt like that for a couple years but in 98` after losing to UNC in the Elite 8 i started thinking we had a really good chance and that it could be our one chance lol! 25 years later and 6 titles later it still feel a bit unbelievable. We are doing some historic stuff and one thing i definitely did not expect was going back to back. Never crossed my mind until this season.

Reaction Score
I was a sophomore living on Windham 4th (what a dump the Jungle was... but it was the place me and a bunch of partiers and straight out reprobates called home that I will never forget for as long as I live) when the NIT Championship and that bonfire happened in '88. And yeah, me and my buddies contributed plenty of "fuel" into that fire :D

Then I was there for that magical ride of the Dream Season two years later... lucky enough to witness our first Big East Tournament Title and eventual last second heartache to Laettner and the Dookies in the Meadowlands in person while doing both on the radio for WHUS. Not realizing then how torturous the next 9 Marches were going to be before we finally broke through in '99. Lucky enough again to be on hand for our first NCAA Title which still ranks as one of the 2 or 3 best Championship Games ever at Tropicana Field.

Never, ever would I have believed we would be on National Title #6 within 25 years. And to do the one thing we had not come close to doing before... going Back-to-Back, and in such dominant fashion. I have never felt such a sense of utter amazement, elation and yet also profound satisfaction as a fan of any other team before.

We are the luckiest fans in all of college basketball... Thank you Jim Calhoun, Danny Hurley and every single person who has made this such an amazing run for each and every one of us.

Haven't slept yet... and I don't think I will until tonight.

I absolutely love this team. The way they play the game of basketball on both ends of the floor, so hard and yet so selflessly, has been a true gift to watch this year.

Best. Sports. High... EVER!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Respect your opinion but nothing can ever beat 99.
99 truly shocked not only the world, but even UConn. I remember reading that Lew Perkins said during the game, "we can actually win."

Reaction Score
Last night was incredible and I stayed up until 3am reading the Yard and surfing IG. But i never doubted we’d win yesterday. Felt like a coronation.

I was a student on campus in 99 and, aside from my wedding weekend, it was easily the most fun weekend of my life.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I remember after losing to Mississippi State in the Sweet 16 in 1996, I felt so dejected as I really wanted Ray Allen to make it to the Final Four. To go from that to tonight is going from one extreme to another
I listened to that game in my car on armed forces radio, parked at a softball field in Korea. I let my assistant handle practice that day... Painful memory.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I used to watch Danny in high school. If you told me then he would lead UConn to back to back nattys I would recommend you be committed. We could never get a St. Ants kid to even sniff UConn

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Could yesterday have gone any better??

Lock down number 6 by 15 pts for back to back.
Hurley laughs off leaving.
Luke says he’s not going anywhere.
Morning news of the squid being run out of town.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score

I was just discussing that game last night. Watched that in a bar in Florida on the way back from Spring Break and we were so down. We had 5 quiet huskies the next part of the ride back to Storrs. From that to now, is just unbelievable.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Something that feels unique to UConn (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is when KO won he was holding up 4 fingers, Dan won last year everyone holds up 5, and this year everyone throws up 6...when Duke, UNC, Kentucky, won they don't do that. The UConn hoop culture and brotherhood is real. We're so lucky.

Reaction Score
Born in 1994...

1999- don't remember it at all. So it goes here by default
2011- the Kemba run cemented me as a UConn diehard
2023- I had doubts that we'd climb to the mountaintop again in the AAC days just 3 years prior
2024- what else can be said? Blue bloods. Greatest team I've ever witnessed
2004- most of my memories are probably created through highlights but beating Duke is oh so sweet
2014- feel so dirty ranking this one last. Shabazz was incredible, plus the arc with being banned, conference realignment...

Wow, its crazy to put these in a list like that

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Something that feels unique to UConn (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is when KO won he was holding up 4 fingers, Dan won last year everyone holds up 5, and this year everyone throws up 6...when Duke, UNC, Kentucky, won they don't do that. The UConn hoop culture and brotherhood is real. We're so lucky.
Connectedness operates in multiple dimensions.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
What I like about #6 is that, like #1, no one can say the bracket opened up for us. We beat the best challengers.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
My yard flag is already obsolete after a year. Time for a new one.
IMG_5531.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01