NPR and Christine Brennan Piece | The Boneyard

NPR and Christine Brennan Piece

Reaction Score
So my phone rang; it was my 88 year-old father in Massachusetts who truly doesn't care at all for basketball (though he is an ardent Red Sox fan-- for which I forgive him), saying, "Quick. There's a story on the UConn women on NPR. Turn it on now."

I couldn't find it locally, but a little search online found the Christine Brennan audio clip to which he was referring: LISTEN HERE

Reaction Score
"He gets the best players,' she says. Another perpetuation of the inaccurate stereotype.

Reaction Score
"He gets the best players,' she says. Another perpetuation of the inaccurate stereotype.

I heard this piece this morning on the drive to work, and was shaking my head thinking here is another writer who just doesn't understand what is going on here. Geno gets top players, but a number of other teams do as well. He's just more picky about it. Part of Geno's genius is that he brings in talented, unselfish, and self motivated players that play team basketball his way, players that fit what the program needs, as well as some interesting role players. I think he really honed in on what types of players he wants to bring into the program after dealing with Charde Houston for four years. Geno really learned from that dismal experience, the evidence being the two record breaking winning streaks that happened after the Houston years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman
Top Bottom