Now we know why Danny O can't transfer to Vandy | The Boneyard

Now we know why Danny O can't transfer to Vandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Untoward or not, fans and national media members bristled at the news. Because, as Paul Myerberg wrote this week, Edsall himself was not fully committed to his previous job, once an opportunity came open at his “dream” school. If a grown man can go wherever he wants, with great compensation, during a career spanning decades, it seems perhaps a bit petty to keep a kid who’s playing for free from enjoying the same privilege."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...nd-vanderbilt/2012/02/15/gIQAG9ifFR_blog.html

Reaction Score
FHCRE can't help but step in it. He destroys yet another good QB (freshman of the year in 2010), benches him and then lists Vandy as a place he can't transfer to? Vandy? They hate him in Maryland. The dream job is becoming a nightmare.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Both good reads. Straight up fear that DOB succeeding at Vandy will make Edsall look even worse than he already does.

(Edit : should clarify that, more than just succeeding at any old place, at Vandy he'd be playing for his old OC, who had a pretty successful season at Vandy. Especially compared to Edsall at MD)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
FHCRE can't help but step in it. He destroys yet another good QB (freshman of the year in 2010), benches him and then lists Vandy as a place he can't transfer to? Vandy? They hate him in Maryland. The dream job is becoming a nightmare.

Sounds to me like someone from Vandy was in the ear of these guys. Perhaps talking to the players or even offering a transfer during the season. Of the train wreck level problems RE is having, denying a transfer to Vandy is not one.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If you put Danny O in the headline, and you don't mean Orlovsky, folks around here are gonna be confused.

Reaction Score
In reading the article, it sure sounds like Edsall suspects that there was contact between DOB and Vanderbilt, prior to his transfer request. It also seems that Edsall is saying to DOB, "go ahead, challenge the exclusion if you like", as the appeal option is there. I have no idea what the appeal process is like in this circumstance, however, I would love to see DOB go forward on that.

If Edsall indeed suspected Vandy of having communicated with DOB prior to him submitting his transfer request, couldn't they have filed some sort of tampering charge to the NCAA? I suppose instead, they are putting the burden on DOB to challenge the exclusion instead. So now a college kid and his family have to go hire a lawyer to help overturn Edsall's exclusion. The legal burden is placed on the student. How righteous of the NCAA!

Oh...and you other two guys who are transferring too...you're banned from transferring to Vandy as well!! ...and for no apparent reason...other than to show that there no discrimination against DOB perhaps.

Reaction Score
Spite, Vandy is on the exclusion list because of spite. There is really no reasonable defense of Edsall on this.

A horrible PR move by Edsall. Even if there was contact between the QB and the former coach, most reasonable people will side with the kid on this, He should be expected to have a bond with his former coach.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I have no idea what the appeal process is like in this circumstance.

There really is no appeal process. If the school doesn't release him, there really is no recourse. This was demonstrated with the attempted transfer of that basketball player from St Joes to UAB earlier this year. The only reason that Phil Martilli had not to let him go to UAB was spite. The kid tried to appeal....but found out that the NCAA appeal process is basically a joke. The NCAA ruled that Martilli had not given him his release and thus was not eligible at UAB...that was basically their ruling.

Reaction Score
The only reasonable defense (whether anyone agrees with it is a different story) is that they suspected that Vandy was in touch with these kids prior to granting them their release. If the UMD staff has any reason to believe that Franklin is tampering with some of these kids and is a big reason why they are leaving, that's one thing. However, not one kid that I'm aware of has transferred to Vandy. And the hypocritical nature of Edsall denying DOB the choice where to go because of that when he himself was sneaking off into discussions without informing his current employer.....well, enough said.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There are former MD coaches on the Vandy staff. If you don't see how a kid having a tough time adjusting to a new.coach might have contacted or been contacted by the former coaches during the season with perhaps a promise of a transfer scholarship if they left, then your being a bit of a Pollyanna.

It was not a popular change. It's not a big leap to think that there could have been some tampering or undermining going on.

If they want go they can go, they just.can't have a scholarship from the former staff. Randy has exposed himself as a bit of a , but he has to protect his program from interference.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
UConn is not on that list. Transfer here, and you get a crack at Maryland before your done.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
If you put Danny O in the headline, and you don't mean Orlovsky, folks around here are gonna be confused.

Thank you. I was just coming to post that there is only 1 "Danny O" around here.

Reaction Score
I'm actually okay with him not allowing his players go to Vandy because he believes that there was some tampering this was within his power, it is certainly better than Schiano banning his qb from transfering to Miami because he believed it would have a negative effect on his recruiting in the Miami area.

Reaction Score
that's DanO, not DannyO. DanO sounds a little tougher while Danny O sounds like the name of a professional juggler or something

Reaction Score

Uh, what other good qb did he destroy? Can't wait to hear.

Reaction Score
Denying a kid the right to transfer to another school is stupid. Coaches have shown they have no allegiance to their schools, and can leave whenever they want, but they want to deny a kid his right to play at another institution? And its not just Coach Edsall. Whats odd about this is Donohue followed Don Brown here, and it Edsall didn't try to block it.

There must be some real bad blood between him and the Vandy coaching staff.

Reaction Score
So there is no confusing what follows, there is absolutely no defending Edsall on this move. Even if Vandy was tampering, don't punish the kid, let him go where he wants and file a complaint with the NCAA.

Now this is just an observation, but when it comes to edsall, this board behaves like a guy who can't stop talking about the ex-girlfriend he claims he never loved and was glad when she dumped him because he wanted to move on anyway. it doesn't add up. if most people here wanted to move on, then why can't most people here move on?

Reaction Score
Now this is just an observation, but when it comes to edsall, this board behaves like a guy who can't stop talking about the ex-girlfriend he claims he never loved and was glad when she dumped him because he wanted to move on anyway. it doesn't add up. if most people here wanted to move on, then why can't most people here move on?

So what's your point? We're obsessed with either defending, ripping or observing the implosion of a guy we appreciated, loved, hated and rooted for until he went out for a pack of cigarettes and never returned after the greatest moment of achievement had just occurred. I think it's compelling enough to generate some residual interest given the fact that we didn't exactly light the world on fire last year. Don't take it so hard.

But please let the kid go. There's no basis to be self-righteous here.

Reaction Score
So what's your point? We're obsessed with either defending, ripping or observing the implosion of a guy we appreciated, loved, hated and rooted for until he went out for a pack of cigarettes and never returned after the greatest moment of achievement had just occurred. I think it's compelling enough to generate some residual interest given the fact that we didn't exactly light the world on fire last year. Don't take it so hard.

But please let the kid go. There's no basis to be self-righteous here.

No, most of the obsession comes from the haters. That's my point. The jilted lovers can't stop stalking the girl they say they didn't want anyway. If you see it differently, that's ok.

Why would you think I'm taking it hard? Actually, I find it amusing.

Reaction Score
No, most of the obsession comes from the haters. That's my point. The jilted lovers can't stop stalking the girl they say they didn't want anyway. If you see it differently, that's ok.

What haters have posted in this thread? Besides, me, to ask who are the haters in this thread?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I find the obession of those that think talking about FUCRE is an obsession, amusing! Perhaps you can all get together and have a gang tsk-tsk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom