Now this is how you close out summer camp... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Now this is how you close out summer camp...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He took them to Six Flags last year. Hope this turns out better.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I friggin love this kinda stuff! Diaco is a madman, and its awesome. You can't tell me recruits don't hear this kinda stuff happening and maybe give a second thought to coming here. Diaco is changing the culture one made up rivalry throphy, one invite for Maurice Clarett to speak to the team, one theme park ride, and now one steak dinner at a time! Its the little things.

In other news... Can you honestly ever see FHCPP or Randy ever doing stuff like Diaco's done with his Husky program? The answer is no. This guy and his staff believe 100% in what they're building and the kids do too.

Reaction Score
I friggin love this kinda stuff! Diaco is a madman, and its awesome. You can't tell me recruits don't hear this kinda stuff happening and maybe give a second thought to coming here. Diaco is changing the culture one made up rivalry throphy, one invite for Maurice Clarett to speak to the team, one theme park ride, and now one steak dinner at a time! Its the little things.

In other news... Can you honestly ever see FHCPP or Randy ever doing stuff like Diaco's done with his Husky program? The answer is no. This guy and his staff believe 100% in what they're building and the kids do too.
Guess what? Other schools and other Uconn coaches have done this on a regular basis without any of the hoopla and fanfare. Maybe not Ruth Chris (better options for linemen than Ruth Chris), but teams show up for dinners out and/or fun nights out with the coaches at every school I know of as part of the camp/bonding/team building ritual. It breaks up the drag, helps morale, rewards the kids. What is unique is that Uconn chooses to publicize these things with BD. Did RE or PP make up a trophy and fake rivalry? No. Did they treat the team to dinner outside of the normal trainig environment and do other fun/non-FB things as part of camp? Yes they did. BD knows the drill, he knows how big time coaches do things to make the most out of camp and he is not making everything up on the fly. He only freestyles when he answers media questions and creating a rivalry all by himself.

Reaction Score
What is unique is that Uconn chooses to publicize these things with BD.

Agree w/ main point about other coaches/other teams doing similar things. Not groundbreaking event.

Trivial point but a point none the less. In this explosive social media age... info came from a player(s) - not UConn or the coaching staff. Everything is more publicized these days often w/ pics or video evidence (ask Sarkisian). Many years past - this all stayed inside the team or traveled by word of mouth only.

Reaction Score
Agree w/ main point about other coaches/other teams doing similar things. Not groundbreaking event.

Trivial point but a point none the less. In this explosive social media age... info came from a player(s) - not UConn or the coaching staff. Everything is more publicized these days often w/ pics or video evidence (ask Sarkisian). Many years past - this all stayed inside the team or traveled by word of mouth only.
You are right that it was the kids Twitter account and not the school. My bad.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
There are really dudes here who bemoan the guys having a friggin' steak dinner??? For as hard as these guys are working all year, one steak dinner seems MORE than fair. If it were up to me, they'd eat steak every night if Coach Balis approves (probably just for the hog mollies).

Show the guys some love and, hopefully, they will run through a wall for you. Judging by some of the body composition changes with the majority of our players, I'd say they are doing a fair amount of wall busting.

Reaction Score
This is not uncommon at all. Most/many schools do something like this at the close of camp. Shoot, Duke drove their players up to the Redskins-Lions preseason game (3-4 hour drive to DC) b/c several rookie and 1st year Dukies were playing in the game. BC did a similar thing as UConn...took the team to a dinner at a nice, local restaurant. It's not uncommon, and not that big of a deal. Just a nice/fun thing.

What surprises me (although, by now it really shouldn't) is the same people ripping Diaco for doing this, would be ripping him if he did not do it...claiming he is small time and real P5 type programs do these sort of things. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Unconfirmed reports out of Storrs this morning have Andreas Knappe putting his shoulder pads on backwards and his cleats on the opposite feet. Sources familiar with the incident have cited brown butter broccoli and button mushrooms.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yup, this happens everywhere: http://www.thescore.com/news/814169

RichRod cancelled Arizona's practice due to "cloud cover". The players went ape-. It's a loooooooooooooooong season, including OTPs, throwing the guys a bone (with some steak on it!) is a cool thing to do.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Guess what? Other schools and other Uconn coaches have done this on a regular basis without any of the hoopla and fanfare. Maybe not Ruth Chris (better options for linemen than Ruth Chris), but teams show up for dinners out and/or fun nights out with the coaches at every school I know of as part of the camp/bonding/team building ritual. It breaks up the drag, helps morale, rewards the kids. What is unique is that Uconn chooses to publicize these things with BD. Did RE or PP make up a trophy and fake rivalry? No. Did they treat the team to dinner outside of the normal trainig environment and do other fun/non-FB things as part of camp? Yes they did. BD knows the drill, he knows how big time coaches do things to make the most out of camp and he is not making everything up on the fly. He only freestyles when he answers media questions and creating a rivalry all by himself.

UConn is not unique, and is just now catching up in these things. It seems new to us, but it is normal for fans of most schools. This program has put together the fundamentals (facilities, academics, etc), but these little things are coming along.

http://www.wafb.com/story/29764806/lsu-football-enjoys-team-outing-at-original-tj-ribs-restaurant

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Umm... Ok? But Diaco's still the man! And who cares if they promote it. It fuels excitment for the program by fans like us, and drives these kids to do better each and every day. I think we can all agree on one thing... Let's just WIN again.

Reaction Score
I heard he gave everyone a participation ribbon too. They have accomplished bupkis so far. Last year they went to the amusement park now this. Just win so friggin football games and never mind the good ol' Coach Bobby nonsense.

I'm going to get one of those child psychiatrist dolls, so we can finally get to the bottom of your situation

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I remember many years ago being brought out for lunch by our coaching staff and thought it was the greatest thing and helped the team more than practice that afternoon.
Good for HCBD and team unity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate