Now the fun begins...... | The Boneyard

Now the fun begins......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When we get tired of watching UConn win all its games, even blowouts of ranked opponents by 20+ points, it's always good to lose a game and reset. Here we are, naysayers coming out of the woodwork, UConn is doomed.
Maybe not. Whoever thought UConn would win after its unloaded a ton of talent following 2002 and left Taurasi holding the bag by herself? (Not me. I didn't think UConn had enough horses left.) Oops. I remember 2003-4 being pretty good years.
Let's see what we've got. To start this season UConn loses to Stanford in its house by 2 points playing the worst defense any of us have seen since maybe the 1980s. And none of the AAs (except Stewie) knew what a basketball was, could play defense or make a shot. (Ex. At the end of regulation, why was 5-6 Moriah leaving Orrange to help guard one of the Samulsons who already was covered by two other UConn defenders?) We gave Stanford our worst and Stanford won by 2. UConn is now #4. Big deal.
Now Geno starts doing his magic and we the fans have some fun. The hunt begins. Who thinks Geno (leader on the bench) can't get these guys playing UConn ball? Who thinks Stewie (leader on the floor) who came here to win 4 NCs is going to let a loss or two get in her way? (Taurasi's team in 2003 lost 5 games, I believe.)
The building and the fun begins. UConn in the Final Four. Bet on it. Then we'll see how the ball bounces and who wins it all in 2015. (Haven't seen SC, but I don't believe ND or TN will be able to beat UConn by the time the Final Four comes around in March.)

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
When we get tired of watching UConn win all its games, even blowouts of ranked opponents by 20+ points, it's always good to lose a game and reset. Here we are, naysayers coming out of the woodwork, UConn is doomed.
Maybe not. Whoever thought UConn would win after its unloaded a ton of talent following 2002 and left Taurasi holding the bag by herself? (Not me. I didn't think UConn had enough horses left.) Oops. I remember 2003-4 being pretty good years.
Let's see what we've got. To start this season UConn loses to Stanford in its house by 2 points playing the worst defense any of us have seen since maybe the 1980s. And none of the AAs (except Stewie) knew what a basketball was, could play defense or make a shot. (Ex. At the end of regulation, why was 5-6 Moriah leaving Orrange to help guard one of the Samulsons who already was covered by two other UConn defenders?) We gave Stanford our worst and Stanford won by 2. UConn is now #4. Big deal.
Now Geno starts doing his magic and we the fans have some fun. The hunt begins. Who thinks Geno (leader on the bench) can't get these guys playing UConn ball? Who thinks Stewie (leader on the floor) who came here to win 4 NCs is going to let a loss or two get in her way? (Taurasi's team in 2003 lost 5 games, I believe.)
The building and the fun begins. UConn in the Final Four. Bet on it. Then we'll see how the ball bounces and who wins it all in 2015. (Haven't seen SC, but I don't believe ND or TN will be able to beat UConn by the time the Final Four comes around in March.)
My sentiments exactly. This is much more interesting than if UConn had gone to Stanford and won by 20 points. A few random thoughts:

1. Yes, UConn did fine in 2003-2004. But what happened after DT left? Remember the lean years between DT and Maya?

2. Some people were picking on Saniya's defense. My observations were that all three guards, Moriah, Kia and Saniya were having trouble with Stanford. One of those nights.

3. A truly great All American makes those playing with them better. I don't know how people thought UConn could lose TWO All Americans, and not need time for a major adjustment. When DT left, the others needed to step up, and for whatever reason ( e.g. injuries, personalities) didn't. Can those left behind by Hartley and Dolson step up? Time will tell. It is not UConn's God given right. But it will certainly be more interesting than blowing everyone out by 20 points. Where's the fun in that?

Reaction Score
Yeah, the seasons would be way better if we quit curb stomping every opponent. I mean, who wants to win a game when you could lose to keep things interesting? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Yeah, the seasons would be way better if we quit curb stomping every opponent. I mean, who wants to win a game when you could lose to keep things interesting? :rolleyes:

Absolutely!!!! The women have a much better chance than the men to repeat!!!! I love competitive games. UConn will be better when we have more closer games.

Reaction Score
Very astute comments by Rudy and Aluminny,couldn't agree more. Am hoping HoopsFan was dripping with sarcasm and I'm too stupid to get it.

Reaction Score
Two?? Let's not get carried away! :mad:

Reaction Score
Very astute comments by Rudy and Aluminny,couldn't agree more. Am hoping HoopsFan was dripping with sarcasm and I'm too stupid to get it.
Nah, I prefer long winning streaks and records that will never be broken.

Reaction Score
3. A truly great All American makes those playing with them better. I don't know how people thought UConn could lose TWO All Americans, and not need time for a major adjustment. When DT left, the others needed to step up, and for whatever reason ( e.g. injuries, personalities) didn't. Can those left behind by Hartley and Dolson step up? Time will tell. It is not UConn's God given right. But it will certainly be more interesting than blowing everyone out by 20 points. Where's the fun in that?
What?? Whoa, whoa, WHOA!!

Reaction Score
Me personally, I like when we are waxing teams by 20-30 points. It just shows that we are clicking on offense and defense. I am not worried about this 2 point loss. It is an early season loss. We have a great coaching staff and great players. We will be fine.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
1. Yes, UConn did fine in 2003-2004. But what happened after DT left? Remember the lean years between DT and Maya?
No recollection, I've blocked it from my mind.

But it will certainly be more interesting than blowing everyone out by 20 points. Where's the fun in that?
No it's not more interesting and it's certainly not fun to lose. It's much, much more fun to blow everybody out.

Reaction Score
My sentiments exactly. This is much more interesting than if UConn had gone to Stanford and won by 20 points. A few random thoughts:

2. Some people were picking on Saniya's defense. My observations were that all three guards, Moriah, Kia and Saniya were having trouble with Stanford. One of those nights.

Yes the guards were getting beat off the dribble but there was zero big man help from Kiah - none

Reaction Score
meyers7 said:
No recollection, I've blocked it from my mind. No it's not more interesting and it's certainly not fun to lose. It's much, much more fun to blow everybody out.
I think the point was that it's much more fun when we get challenged by a solid team playing it's A game and we then get to watch Geno perform his magic in figuring out how best to build the team back up. Watching that process unfold is where the fun comes in. Then.... you start to see the blowouts develop, winning by 20–30 points against solid teams. Those are so much sweeter when they follow a period of significant team development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom