Now Is It Time to Start the Tennessee Strategizing Thread? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Now Is It Time to Start the Tennessee Strategizing Thread?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Stanford is not a small team though
Nor is Baylor who outrebounded the much smaller Huskies by +1. I’m sure that Geno would tell us that rebounding is as much about desire as it is about size.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Nor is Baylor who outrebounded the much smaller Huskies by +1. I’m sure that Geno would tell us that rebounding is as much about desire as it is about size.
Having been at the Baylor game and watched the replay, it appeared to me that Baylor deliberately did not contest UConn defensive rebounds of its missed jump shots from the perimeter. The only time that they fought for offensive rebounds was when the original shot was already in the paint or very close by. I presume Baylor was sufficiently respectful of UConn's transition game that they wanted everyone back on defense after a missed perimeter shot. But that strategic decision by Kim and her coaches meant that UConn got an "artificial" boost to its rebounding totals.

I have a feeling that TN will not make the same strategic decision. They will aggressively go after offensive rebounds on all of their shots, since they won't be able to win without many second-chance points. I think Geno will anticipate that and will be looking for runouts when UConn does get the defensive rebound. If UConn gets enough transition points, TN will either stop crashing their offensive boards or they will lose badly to UConn's transition game. On the other hand, if UConn cannot get defensive rebounds against the Orange Trees, then TN's game plan could work.

On the broader point of what the expectation should be for the game, and trying to ignore history and just concentrate on the 2019-20 teams for each school, they seem to me to be closer (in talent and record) than some of you seem to believe. People say that TN hasn't beaten any good teams, but really, isn't that almost equally true of UConn? Each team has played against one Top 10 opponent thus far, and each team lost that game rather one-sidedly. UConn's best win thus far has been against DePaul -- is that enough to give UConn a big edge in this game?

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score

Desire, yes, but even more is the discipline NOT to give in to the almost universal habit of watching the ball and moving in toward the basket, thereby yielding precious rebounding space to the opponents. First move should be to locate either your man (if in a "man" D) or the opponent closest to the basket (zone D), and firmly block them out with a low, wide stance. Try watching to see how many players on any team do that regularly. It's a surprisingly low percentage!

Reaction Score

This surprised me, The fans will be much needed in a close game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

This surprised me, The fans will be much needed in a close game.

Capacity for the XL Center is 16,000+. The crowd is generally older, and don’t necessarily support weeknight games like they once did. If this were a Sunday afternoon game I would definitely expect a sellout.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Or maybe a lot of people just don't see this game as being any kind of extension of the Old UConn Tenn Rivalry. That era is gone. Could it be the start of something new? Eh maybe. But other than it's UConn playing another top 25 team (per the pollsters) It's just not the thing it was. (and the other reasons stated in previous post)

Reaction Score
I think UConn's main challenge against TN will be to clear the boards against the LV's height, but that hasn't been a big problem for UConn so far this year (even against Baylor), so I think they will figure it out. I don't think TN has a chance to win unless they can get a ton of second-chance points.

Baylor chose to focus on dropping back on defense instead of going for offensive boards. It effectively eliminated UConn's transition game and was IMO a big factor in the outcome. Tenn has historically used offensive rebounding to score. If they try that and UConn can get the defensive rebounds the Huskies will have a lot of transition opportunities.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
NO evidence points to this team being really good or even just good.
1579557434457.png

Reaction Score
Tennessee’s main hope for a victory is using their height to neutralize Liv. Meg, Crystal and Anna could counter that with a deluge of threes, forcing Tennessee to defend the perimeter (if we make most of the shots). Put Kyla, Molly and Christyn as contributors in that mix. With her height, Anna might have an advantage shooting threes over lengthy Tennessee defenders. Crystal’s ability to hit from super long range will either help to overcome height advantage or draw defenders even further from basket, opening lanes. Meg is...well, Meg. No problem.

Reaction Score
Hopefully this was done by plan and is repeatable, but UConn started their offense much closer to the basket against Tulsa than in the past 3 games. Particularly against Baylor, seemed like most of the motion offense started well beyond the 3 point line. Makes passes more difficult, cuts to basket harder to see, etc. Getting the bigger TN team to move while they are on defense likely something Geno focusing on (as he does most games).

Reaction Score
Can't compete with all the coaching strategy here. With that I will look at the marketing folks promoting a white out strategy to assist the home crowd dominance. I have gone here in the past to only be ridiculed because the home team is in white. I have followed the game for decades and get that.

It works if they are giving out white shirts to every seat holder.

Not so much if not. I would love a "blue out" for several reasons. First again I realize the five on the floor are in white but 13, 14 thousand fans in blue would off set that very well. Second, I own more garb than should be allowed, shirts, sweats, hoodies, jackets, hats, scarfs, gloves, even pajamas. This happens when you don't need more tools at Christmas, all but a tee shirt are gray or blue.
I see very few fans in anything white at any games, I see very few things offered in white even at the coop. What I do see at the XL Center is a sea of blue even when empty, all the seats and even much of the concrete painted in UConn royal flag blue.
Match the surroundings of our dominant color makes sense to me for a more successful color out.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Capacity for the XL Center is 16,000+. The crowd is generally older, and don’t necessarily support weeknight games like they once did. If this were a Sunday afternoon game I would definitely expect a sellout.
Thirteen years older than the last time Tennessee went to Hartford, which is a lot considering that it wasn't exactly a youthful crowd in 2007.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
For those interested, halftime of Tennessee vs Alabama:
Tenn 24 Alabama 17
Tenn shooting 9-26 and 2-10 from three; 11 turnovers, and out-rebounding Alabama 29-18
Oh, and Alabama shooting 7-33.

Reaction Score
OMG if I lived anywhere near CT I'd be there. C'mon peeps - fill that place up!! Hey, it's an EARLY evening game - and TN is ranked. (Well, #23) Think how much fun it will be - the chance to hopefully witness our team lay a major butt-kicking on the Voles!

ESPN2 (Rebecca & Andy) are promoting our game now at halftime of the SC-Miss State game. Highlights from past big UConn-TN games. Then highlights from this year's UConn team, but only stats from this year's TN team. Seems like a long (4-5 minute) promo.

Get your ticket!!!!

Reaction Score
TN just won at the buzzer.

Ugly game vs AL & under 50 combined points at the half.

TN is TALL, I think 6 roster players over 6'3". Liv will have her hands full with TN.

They block well - maybe 13 for the game, but not particularly fluid, although could be AL had something to do with that.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Thirteen years older than the last time Tennessee went to Hartford, which is a lot considering that it wasn't exactly a youthful crowd in 2007.
And a few more NC banners in those 13 years.

Reaction Score
UConn should be able to beat Tenn easily by double digits at home. If not, there is something wrong. The game plan is pretty straight-forward. Run Tenn bigs into the ground. so, expect to see a lot of pressing and quicker shots. If UConn gets stuck in a slow, half-court game, then there could be a big upset.

Reaction Score
Tennessee is long and athletic and is playing much harder under their new coach..............if any combination of Davis, Burrell, Massengill or Horston are hitting their threes UConn is in for a very tough game...............if not it could get ugly..............

Reaction Score
I say we need to face guard their best player.....I’m really looking forward to Thursday and say keep the movement going !

Reaction Score
Personally, I think our strategy should be to pounce on them like a duck on a bug!
Agree with your plan of attack Zorro, but that would be something for the Oregon Ducks who we will see soon enough. :)
Maybe a little Vic Schaefer would be similar but more UConn direct.
“They’re like piranhas on a roast,” Schaefer said. “When they go in transition, you can’t get the bone out of the water fast enough.” ;)

Reaction Score
Tennessee’s Length should help UConn prepare for Oregon, though the biggest problem with the Ducks is only 5’ 11”.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Don't give up 30ft 3 point shots at the end of game. That shot was so high, maybe we should lower the ceiling a bit but I suppose that may interfere with some of Crystal's rainmakers ;)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tennessee is long and athletic and is playing much harder under their new coach..............

Absolutely agree
but as for other discussion above

They don't rebound in any special manner considering their size. I wouldn't worry too much about being O-rebounded to death. They're not Baylor (present) or old Baylor, or older Baylor

Their .335 3-point average is not going to put the fear of god into anyone.

Their backcourt may be vulnerable to the press.

Kellie may be using this game to acquaint her players with what the next level looks like in terms of coherence and execution...Clever woman that; even if its a beatdown in our favor, they'll come away a better team.

Reaction Score
Absolutely agree
but as for other discussion above

They don't rebound in any special manner considering their size. I wouldn't worry too much about being O-rebounded to death. They're not Baylor (present) or old Baylor, or older Baylor

Their .335 3-point average is not going to put the fear of god into anyone.

Their backcourt may be vulnerable to the press.

Kellie may be using this game to acquaint her players with what the next level looks like in terms of coherence and execution...Clever woman that; even if its a beatdown in our favor, they'll come away a better team.

according to the broadcasters last night during the Tenn - Alabama game they are one of the top offensive rebounding teams in the country and they get over 40% of their points off of second chances..............a streaky shooting team and still turnover prone but certainly capable of competing at a high level if on their game........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom