Now Is It Time to Start the Tennessee Strategizing Thread? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Now Is It Time to Start the Tennessee Strategizing Thread?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Agree with your plan of attack Zorro, but that would be something for the Oregon Ducks who we will see soon enough. :)
Maybe a little Vic Schaefer would be similar but more UConn direct.
“They’re like piranhas on a roast,” Schaefer said. “When they go in transition, you can’t get the bone out of the water fast enough.” ;)
"Piranhas on a roast". Yes indeed, a much better simile!! Ferocious defense, with a lot of pressing. Don't give them a chance to get the bone out of the water. The offense will take care of itself.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Stop worrying. I watched them play last nite and Im not worried. We win by over 20 if we're not hot. Tenn had problems scoring last nite. The announcers said it was defense. They were at one point in the game 1-10 shooting against Alabama????? Alabama is not a great team. Tenn hit a 30 ft desperation off balance shot to win the game at the buzzer.

Some of you are concerned about Tenn height. Why? Height doesnt win games. Tenn's height is not a factor in scoring only in shot blocking. We're gonna win this game by 20+.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Geno will unleash our secret weapons - Kyla & Molly. will be dropping in from all over so quickly the Lady Vols heads will be spinning!!

Reaction Score
Watched the TN Alabama replay and had the following thoughts:
-TN lucky to win. Alabama should have been awarded the out of bounds ball near end of the game. My replay clearly had the ball off the 2nd TN defender. Alabama also horrid on foul shooting early in game.
-TN plays deliberate. Should be low scoring. Goes inside a lot and does not focus on 3's.
-TN great using their height by keeping hands straight up on blocks. ONO hopefully watched tape and learned.
-Hate to say anything too positive about TN but think their coach doing a fine job. Kelly is a positive motivator, fiery when she needs to be, and calm when the situation calls for. Kudos for her recruiting - likely will see TN as a top team for many years in future.
-If UConn hits their 3's, predict UConn will win by 15+. Takes TN time to set up on defense and likely Megan, Crystal, and Williams (plus Anna) will get multiple opportunities.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
no comprendo
I would not write off the Vols three point shooting. We have a knack for turning kids that normally don't shoot 3s (well) into KML or Lou when they play against us.

Reaction Score
I have a question it’s kind of off topic. Which UConn team do you think was the strongest from 2013-2016. IMO I think it was 2014-2015 season

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have a question it’s kind of off topic. Which UConn team do you think was the strongest from 2013-2016. IMO I think it was 2014-2015 season
15-16 for sure. Undefeated with not a single opponent losing by less than double-digits, boasting a roster with 6 eventual 1st team AA’s plus a seventh player who was one of 3 NDPOY’s on that team.

Reaction Score
First of all, a couple of observations that may be of wide interest to Boneyarders:

1. Tennessee is playing Monday night (1/20) against Alabama at home. The game is televised on the SEC Network (7 pm EST). Most of us (including me) haven't seen Tennessee since it played Stanford, so this might be a good chance to observe them approximately as they will be on Thursday night.

2. Because Alabama is a conference game for Tennessee whose outcome actually means something to the Lady Vols (unlike the Thursday night game, whose outcome mostly doesn't matter to them), I don't think they will spend a minute preparing for UConn until at least Tuesday -- and since they have to have one off day per week, they might even wait until Wednesday to practice what they are going to do against UConn. Then they will have to travel to Storrs that same day. By contrast, UConn can have a day off on Monday, and then spend two full days (if they choose) to prepare for Tennessee. So UConn should have an advantage in preparation.

Based on what I saw in the TN-Stanford game, I think UConn's game plan against the LV's will be essentially the same as what they used against Baylor -- defend the paint and (if necessary) let them fire away from the 3-point line. But I don't think that the LV's have anyone who can hit 3's as well as Te'a Cooper was for Baylor when they played UConn. I also don't think that the Orange Ones pass as well as Baylor did. I think UConn's main challenge against TN will be to clear the boards against the LV's height, but that hasn't been a big problem for UConn so far this year (even against Baylor), so I think they will figure it out. I don't think TN has a chance to win unless they can get a ton of second-chance points.

If Tennessee plays a zone (which doesn't seem natural for them) and if UConn has trouble getting 3-point looks or if their 3's are dropping, that could also be a vulnerability for the Huskies. But I certainly don't expect TN to hold UConn to 29% shooting as Baylor did.
It could be a good game to use Aubrey more. I know, whose place does she take, but this game is a good fit for her to play alot. TN maybe to athletic for Kyla. I could see Aubrey face guarding Davis to deny her the ball. She has the speed and we wont care how much energy she uses up on defense or if she gets in foul trouble. Davis will be the hardest to guard for the core 4. TN turns the ball over alot and Aubrey can run the break for easy baskets. On offense TN has always loved to over play the passing lanes and is very susceptible to going back door. They play inside out so yes packing it in to give Olivia help and out of foul trouble will be important. That's my 2 cents

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Based on the pregame pressers for Anna and Meg, the main focus is to beat TN for Evina.

Meg even said near the end of her clip that we will get it done. :cool:

Reaction Score
Based on the pregame pressers for Anna and Meg, the main focus is to beat TN for Evina.

Meg even said near the end of her clip that we will get it done. :cool:

Love it - gonna get it done for Evina.

I feel like you can take that to the bank!

Reaction Score
I highly anticipate UCONN will win this game. Those are the expectations for most. TN is in a rebuilding phase with a new coach, and they are already better than last year. They actually have a real teacher as a head coach. Just not sure they can pull off an upset like this at this point in the season. Both teams got a benefit with the Evina situation. UCONN got a great player and TN's chemistry is better than its been since the Pat teams. A win, win for both. It should be a fun game but most importantly it is for a great cause.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I highly anticipate UCONN will win this game. Those are the expectations for most. TN is in a rebuilding phase with a new coach, and they are already better than last year. They actually have a real teacher as a head coach. Just not sure they can pull off an upset like this at this point in the season. Both teams got a benefit with the Evina situation. UCONN got a great player and TN's chemistry is better than its been since the Pat teams. A win, win for both. It should be a fun game but most importantly it is for a great cause.

What do you mean by the Evian situation giving TN better chemistry?

a) Evina was the cause of Chemistry issues?
b) Evina's comments pushed Holly out the door faster than if nothing was said?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom