Now ESPN pushing P5 distinction in women's hoops | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Now ESPN pushing P5 distinction in women's hoops

Reaction Score
Guys, I've been trying to tell some of you for years...the next shoe to drop in the P5 split is basketball. Once the P5 and TV networks figure out the best way to monopolize the money pool, the split will happen. CR is 10000% about money. Nothing else. Nobody making these decisions gives a hoot about geographic r1vals, "Cinderella" stories, or anything else.

That why it is P5 or bust for UConn. Always has been and always should be.
That's why to deny the future by talking about the past and present is delusional

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Guys, I've been trying to tell some of you for years...the next shoe to drop in the P5 split is basketball. Once the P5 and TV networks figure out the best way to monopolize the money pool, the split will happen. CR is 10000% about money. Nothing else. Nobody making these decisions gives a hoot about geographic r1vals, "Cinderella" stories, or anything else.

That why it is P5 or bust for UConn. Always has been and always should be.
Well then it seems to me that it's been a bust. I think the door has closed on us if you are so sure about a split. If UConn was intended to be part of these future plans we wouldn't have been a part of all this the last half decade, plus it seems the wheels of motion are grinding to a complete halt for the foreseeable future.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Well then it seems to me that it's been a bust. I think the door has closed on us if you are so sure about a split. If UConn was intended to be part of these future plans we wouldn't have been a part of all this the last half decade, plus it seems the wheels of motion are grinding to a complete halt for the foreseeable future.

It might have been closed until the next wave of TV negotiations, yes. Not arguing that. My point is that the "drop football" crowd doesn't realize the permanent damage that would do to all UConn sports, including hoops.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It might have been closed until the next wave of TV negotiations, yes. Not arguing that. My point is that the "drop football" crowd doesn't realize the permanent damage that would do to all UConn sports, including hoops.
Not really saying drop football is the way to go either. More of the fact that UConn is in trouble long term but with football onboard for obvious reasons that have been stated.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Funny....I don't see the Big East in that preview.....good thing everyone thinks we should drop football and go back there to gain some relevance for our basketball programs....oh wait....:confused:

Reaction Score
And, because UConn can recruit basketball, the Huskies will stay on top...the women just hauled in the #1 recruit..

Nation's No. 1 recruit, Megan Walker, picks UConn
The women's team has hauled in the #1 recruit in 7 of the last 12 years. ESPN covered Walker's commitment on their recruitment show the other night. I think they covered a few on the men's side too in addition to Walker. Can Coach Geno get to 12-13-14 championships? History tells us when he has two #1 recruits on board, a run of multiple championships is likely and he'll have at least two seasons where he has two #1 recruits starting next year.

Reaction Score
The women's team has hauled in the #1 recruit in 7 of the last 12 years. ESPN covered Walker's commitment on their recruitment show the other night. I think they covered a few on the men's side too in addition to Walker. Can Coach Geno get to 12-13-14 championships? History tells us when he has two #1 recruits on board, a run of multiple championships is likely and he'll have at least two seasons where he has two #1 recruits starting next year.

I can't spook for Dooley, but my point is where will the program be in 2026?

Reaction Score
The end game will be the Power 4 conferences breaking away from the NCAA and doing their own thing. They will have their own separate sports tournaments for all sports. Unfortunately we were put in check when Louisville got the nod over us for the ACC. We (UConn) have been relegated to the 2nd tier and will have to make the best of it in our new reality. We can cry in our milk and dwell in the past, or we can make UConn and the American Conference the best it can be. Just remeber, there are plenty of other schools who are a lot worse off than UConn. #BleedBlue

Reaction Score
The end game will be the Power 4 conferences breaking away from the NCAA and doing their own thing. They will have their own separate sports tournaments for all sports. Unfortunately we were put in check when Louisville got the nod over us for the ACC. We (UConn) have been relegated to the 2nd tier and will have to make the best of it in our new reality. We can cry in our milk and dwell in the past, or we can make UConn and the American Conference the best it can be. Just remeber, there are plenty of other schools who are a lot worse off than UConn. #BleedBlue
I am sorry but unless one is in with the "big boys" one is out. I cannot get worse than that. I agree that one needs to make the best of the new reality, but the fact is, it will never be the same or equivalent, but second rate and second class. Anyone not P5 or future P4 will be in the same sinking boat to irrelevance. You can see already starting as UConn athletics are already beginning to fade away.

Reaction Score
I am sorry but unless one is in with the "big boys" one is out. I cannot get worse than that. I agree that one needs to make the best of the new reality, but the fact is, it will never be the same or equivalent, but second rate and second class. Anyone not P5 or future P4 will be in the same sinking boat to irrelevance. You can see already starting as UConn athletics are already beginning to fade away.
It would be nice to see @Fishy make you fade away!

Reaction Score
It would be nice to see @Fishy make you fade away!
I am sorry, FDNY, but that's the way I see it. Believe me, I don't like it. I am trying to wean myself off of this stuff now. You will see when you get old and your hopes are dashed what it is like.

Reaction Score
UConn has been around since 1881. I think it's got a few (hundred) good years left.

Reaction Score
The Power 4 is just an intermediate step. The end game will be a national semi-pro league of the top 25-ish athletic departments (read football teams or schools with consistently decent football and basketball programs). Everyone else will be relegated to the second tier including most of the current P5 teams. Schools like BC, Wake Forest, Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue, Vanderbilt, etc. better be banking as much $$$ as they can now, because that gravy train will not roll on forever. When will this happen? When new TV contracts aren't automatically renewed for more dollars than the last one. Once the dust settles, we'll see a reset in college athletics in terms of the dollars sloshing around athletic departments. Louisville will no longer have the money to pay for hookers and blow. That will now be the purview of The Ohio State University where the kids don't go to play school since the new league will not be under the NCAA's thumb. The arms race will effectively be over, and the second tier will mostly be made up of regional conferences that actually make sense and minimize cost since everyone will now be on a much tighter budget.

Reaction Score
Connecticut is an outlier of sorts...in the last 34 years, there has not been a women's basketball national champion from another program that is not a current P5.
False, when did Louisiana Tech ('82,'88) and Old Dominion ('85) get into a P5? I note both of Tech's championships just to show that the history of wcbb has been dominated by dynastic teams just like UConn. We are far from the outlier and more like the shining star.

Reaction Score
False, when did Louisiana Tech ('82,'88) and Old Dominion ('85) get into a P5? I note both of Tech's championships just to show that the history of wcbb has been dominated by dynastic teams just like UConn. We are far from the outlier and more like the shining star.

Huh????

Kansas was Champ in 1988...and Duke in 1982...

I was talking men's basketball.....WBB is another subject.

But I was off some, men's basketball was indeed won by a current non P5 team not named UConn as late as 26 years ago when UNLV won the men's NC...

Call it an "outlier" or "shining star", but UConn is the only team that is not currently P5 who has won a men's NC in basketball in the last quarter century.

In that way, UConn separates from the G5.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Huh????

Kansas was Champ in 1988...and Duke in 1982...

I was talking men's basketball.....WBB is another subject.

But I was off some, men's basketball was indeed won by a current non P5 team not named UConn as late as 26 years ago when UNLV won the men's NC...

Call it an "outlier" or "shining star", but UConn is the only team that is not currently P5 who has won a men's NC in basketball in the last quarter century.

In that way, UConn separates from the G5.

Villanova won the title last year

Reaction Score
This, unfortunately, is the future for UConn. We will have to learn to live with it.

Reaction Score
Damn guys...I must be under the influence of all this forest fire smoke down here at my place in North Carolina.....that or going cabin crazy.

Been inside too long.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom