Novel Idea To Show NCAA We're Serious About Improving APR | The Boneyard

Novel Idea To Show NCAA We're Serious About Improving APR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Call me naive...but take a listen.

Starting next season, when possible, alter our schedule to become more "academic-friendly".

Work with the Big East, and possibly even the networks, to limit mid-week road games and other schedule quirks that keep us on the road for extended periods of time during class.

This season, the 2nd semester starts January 17, and there are 3 weeknight road games (G'town, 'Nova, 'Cuse...not counting PC because of proximity) which will obviously cause players to miss classes. Saturday 4 pm game at Tennessee will probably mean missed classes on Friday.

PLUS...as always, Big East tournament is during a school week as are weeks 2 and 3 of the NCAA's. (This is something that will likely take a philosophical shift by the NCAA and TV to change.)

I realize this problem affects all major college teams, but why not show we're serious about raising our APR/academics and offer this as one way to do it. I know everyone has tutors, online capabilities, etc... but there's no replacing in-class attendance to keep grades up and more importantly, show players the school is serious about academics.

It may come off as an act of desperation or simply window dressing, but I feel that when something as serious as this may affect us for years to come, being proactive and even doing something drastic is best.

Reaction Score
That's what the Ivy League does I think, or something similar to reduce missed days of classes.

It would have to be a league wide thing, and while helpful, doesn't seem likely.

Reaction Score
This is stupid. The players are excused from class those days. That is not the issue.

Reaction Score
Actually going to class probably helps grades. It doesn't matter if they're excused or not.

Reaction Score
So actually IMPROVING the APR doesn't demonstrate that we are serious?

Reaction Score
So actually IMPROVING the APR doesn't demonstrate that we are serious?

In the NCAA's mind it probably doesn't since they know the whole thing is a sham from the start, but as far as shams go, you are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom