Nova Box Score | The Boneyard

Nova Box Score

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
5C62EE99-B680-47AA-9532-1530546FB010.png
Such a weird box score. You could argue we played one our best games of the year. Yes we still had a couple of droughts but we made 6 more FGs than Nova and still lost by 6 because they’re whole team was unconscious from 3 and they made their FTs at the end. Also out rebounded them by 12. Showed we can play and be a tough out on the road imo. Broadcasters mentioned late in the game but we are a few plays away in four games now from only having 2-3 losses on the year including the one dud at home vs St Joe’s. Optimistic after today’s game, love how we’ve attacked the paint the last two games and are not settling from the outside.

Reaction Score
First time we've been tougher than a good team in years but they shoot 50% from 3. Unlucky in a way. I'm at a loss for words at the free throw disparity.

Reaction Score
Nova not a great team but they make up for by making 3's....hides alot of deficiencies.

Reaction Score
Bouk 5 points starting. Gave up to many 3 and didn't make enough.

Reaction Score
Why can't our coaches see admit that we are not a 3 point shooting team? One shooting foul all game is not on the refs but our staff's inability to adjust to our lack of perimeter shooting.

Frustrating that we are allowed to shoot so many 3s when we aren't making them. This game did not require 3 point shots, it was so close.

Its like continually playing bad hands in poker and not folding them for a better hand.

Outside of Polley no one is a good 3 point shooter on our team. Adjust dammit!

Reaction Score
Polley is 6'8'+ and shoots 40% on catch-and-shoot 3s. Just tore his ACL.
We needed more shooters before Polley was injured. Now the weakness is even more glaring. In addition, Polley can't shoot off the dribble at all or create his own shot. Makes it a lot easier to play up on him when he can't go past you.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Shooting is a fundamental skills of basketball. It boggles my mind that so many of our players lack that
I always thought shooting was the easy part of hoops. Mechanics and good eye/hand coordination. So many of our players rely on athleticism, and at this level you need more. I remember watching Donny Marshall during his first two years and I was convinced he could be a pretty reliable shooter, which he became, because his mechanics were so good. Giffey the same.

Reaction Score
I always thought shooting was the easy part of hoops. Mechanics and good eye/hand coordination. So many of our players rely on athleticism, and at this level you need more. I remember watching Donny Marshall during his first two years and I was convinced he could be a pretty reliable shooter, which he became, because his mechanics were so good. Giffey the same.
Who on our team was recruited as a shooter? I see playmakers but no shooters (think Mouring, Rashad).

Reaction Score
Shooting is a fundamental skills of basketball. It boggles my mind that so many of our players lack that
Notice the discrepancy from 3? The Free Throw line? This team literally can't shoot. And losing Polley hurts BIG TIME. Other huge differences in this box score. Steals and turnovers? Turnovers have hampered this team all season long.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Why can't our coaches see admit that we are not a 3 point shooting team? One shooting foul all game is not on the refs but our staff's inability to adjust to our lack of perimeter shooting.

Frustrating that we are allowed to shoot so many 3s when we aren't making them. This game did not require 3 point shots, it was so close.

Its like continually playing bad hands in poker and not folding them for a better hand.

Dude we spent all game in the paint. 15 threes is not a lot.

Reaction Score
They went zone and we stopped going inside. Hurley called timeouts too late when Nova’s runs were over and game was tied up. This combined with no 3pt shooter lost us the game.

Thought our guys played tough but it didn’t last down the stretch.

Reaction Score
Out rebounded them by 12 but couldn’t bring down the important ones late

Reaction Score

On the year we take 34% of our shots from three. That's 250th lowest in D1. Average is 37%. Today we only took 29% from 3, which for the season would rank us in the bottom 30 of all teams.

You're picking the wrong nits. You have to take some 3s to keep the defense honest and take the free good shot when offered (even our worst shooters shoot 30% on a wide open 3 which is like shooting 45% on a 2 attempt).

Reaction Score
Amazing we had one shooting foul all day considering how we attacked the hoop. And it was on a 3 no less.
Like I said Bouknight got knocked down in the open court . Hard not to whistle that even if your whistle is partially broken.
Their guards love to create space with straight arms . .It hurts when the shooter pushes off and than hits a jumper. They get Pts instead of accumulating PF’s which could ultimately result in FT’s . For a shooting challenged bunch like us getting to the line is huge.
Nova was on the brink today and they knew it . A very tough loss .
For UConn just keep getting a little better each game and things will work out.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We went to the line ONCE... Bouk fouled on a 3 pointer. That’s it. 40 minutes.
Weirdly don’t really feel like they missed many. Wright always gets a good whistle though. The game last year turned when he got a T and Nova get every call in most of the second half.

Reaction Score
We went to the line ONCE... Bouk fouled on a 3 pointer. That’s it. 40 minutes.
Which is absurd with how physical the game was. Also, not a lot of offensive action being called on both ends. Uconn got the short end of the stick here.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Who on our team was recruited as a shooter? I see playmakers but no shooters (think Mouring, Rashad).
I don't disagree. Polley, not a Hurley recruit, is a shooter. Vital kind of has the right mechanics. Hurley's recruits all seem to fit the athlete mold. A few marksmen would make a better rounded team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom