Notre Dame vs. South Carolina in France! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame vs. South Carolina in France!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I wonder if this thing will grow some legs and become an annual event involving different teams on a rotating basis. Who wouldn't like to go to France on their school's dime? :rolleyes: They could expand it and have a two-day 4 team "showcase" to begin the season. If you build it, they will come.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Well, Citron is a French name (French: from Old French citron ‘lemon’ (from Latin citrus ‘lemon tree’) so maybe the French will take to Sonia! And of course, Notre Dame du lac was founded by missionaries from France.
I've often wondered if the Citroen car was named after the fruit. :D

And who do you think will win the pronunciation game? Will the announcer pronounce Notre Dame the American way and have the French audience booing the whole time, or will the ND fans and team be shouting "long A" the whole game?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well, Citron is a French name (French: from Old French citron ‘lemon’ (from Latin citrus ‘lemon tree’) so maybe the French will take to Sonia! And of course, Notre Dame du lac was founded by missionaries from France.

In any case, this is pretty darn cool for the Irish, the Gamecocks and all of Women's College Basketball. Way to go, Dawn and Niele!

I'm part French, but I think naming an automobile after a LEMON was a really dumb idea! :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I saw a recent IG post from Justine Ward showing her diploma. It reminded me that the English translation is Our Lady of the Lake. That doesn't seem to convey an athletic powerhouse. ;)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'm part French, but I think naming an automobile after a LEMON was a really dumb idea! :D
And for those of a certain age, "Lemon=Car=Edsel."
We could start giving the Edsel award for worst overall performance of the season (or not)....~;)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I saw a recent IG post from Justine Ward showing her diploma. It reminded me that the English translation is Our Lady of the Lake. That doesn't seem to convey an athletic powerhouse. ;)
No, but they're awfully pretty. The ND campus contains two lakes, which provide its name (Notre Dame du lac meaning "Our Lady of the Lake"): St. Mary's Lake and St. Joseph's Lake. St. Joseph's Lake has a small beach and pier for swimming and a boating facility for student use.

There are trails all around them an you can take walks or runs. Many of the shots of the Golden Dome are taken from the far shorelines of the lakes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
These trips are a great way to increase the popularity of WBB internationally. ND & SC in Paris and UConn’s summer tour to Croatia, Slovenia and Italy serve a number of purposes. First and foremost it’s a great reward for the players who work hard year round. As I mentioned, it helps promote WBB internationally.

Finally, as others have mentioned, there’s a lot of WBB talent in Europe. Showing off a little on the European stage can only help recruiting efforts, particularly if you’re interested in a certain 17 year old Lithuanian playing in France who may be on the verge of making a really BIG decision…..:cool:

sun

Reaction Score
The game is showcasing more than just WBB.
It's showcasing American WCBB on an NCAA regulation court as opposed to an FIBA court.
It's also promoting university educational & BB opportunities for those willing to come to the USA.

The WNBA is in the process of expanding & covid extensions will be running out.
The NCAA schools could be trying to maintain the competitiveness that 5th year players have been bringing to WCBB.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
If any SC or ND fans on the BY are considering going, do it! Hubby and I had tickets to the 1st USNA v ND football game in 2012 in Dublin and we were going to plan around the game with a week in Scotland (for him) and a week in Ireland (me). Then, our daughter announced she was pregnant and although due the following month, being it her 1st and our 1st g-kid, we reassessed and didn't go, because ... Needless to say, Fiona arrived "on time". :D
I'm considering it; Paris is #1 on my bucket list.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
@TheGOAT23 says:
Makes sense that ND would agree to play S.C. now that Boston and crew have departed the Metro after 4 years.

@GamecockFam: There are no rumors about ND refusing to play the Gamecocks that I know of, either on this board, McGraw's Bench. As noted in an earlier post, Coach Ivey and Coach Staley are pretty tight and have been known to go out to dinner.

Last year's out-of-conference schedule wasn't quite up to the usual ND standards, but I'm sure Niele will toughen it up this year. Last I checked, S. Carolina is still in the pre-season Top 10 and there's some Huskies team from NW Connecticut. ;)
NW? Did they move?

Reaction Score
I wonder if this thing will grow some legs and become an annual event involving different teams on a rotating basis. Who wouldn't like to go to France on their school's dime? :rolleyes: They could expand it and have a two-day 4 team "showcase" to begin the season. If you build it, they will come.
Love this idea. France is pretty cool place to visit. But to take this idea a little further, programs should branch out to different countries for these games, if those countries allow that to happen. Spain is a wonderful place to visit and the locals love basketball. How cool would it be for programs to play a game in Barcelona or Madrid? Or have teams play in Portugal in the cool cities of Fatima or Lisbon.

Reaction Score
Was it rumored that they refused to play South Carolina last season? I thought I heard Duke refused but I hadn't heard that statement about any other school.
I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed and I may not have any marbles left, but I can smell when teams are “ducking” worthy opponents. :D

Reaction Score
This is the absolute coolest! And, I notice the date is 11/6; that seems so early.

Reaction Score
Toby Fournier perhaps?

Tennessee isn't on her list of 8 schools from what I recall. It also could have been for an athlete from Mali, as French is spoken there as well. Another Tenn AC posted on Twitter and included the flag for the country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom