Notre Dame vs Depaul | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame vs Depaul

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ogunbawale is one of those players who can play you right into the game, or play her team out of it. She still makes poor shot selection decisions, and seems emotionally on the edge of losing control.

But when her shooting is on, she can score some points.
One hallmark of UConn players is good shot selection. I think Angel may have learned a little of that from Geno during their USA Basketball experience. Coach Jennie is trying to teach Jewell the same. I think she did much better in her second year at that than in her rookie season. Diamond is one who really needs to learn this.

Reaction Score
Ogunbawale is one of those players who can play you right into the game, or play her team out of it. She still makes poor shot selection decisions, and seems emotionally on the edge of losing control.

Like it wasn't the other night?

Reaction Score
Went to the game so I could see N.D. up close. The team has talented players but the chemistry is just not there - Hope it stays that way.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Not the same ND team that we've watched the past few years. Only 4 assists at halftime. As good as Arike is, the ball stops moving when she touches it. As long as she's hitting her shots, ND will be ok. If she goes cold...

2 years ago ND very nearly lost at DePaul and were only saved by a boat load of missed free throws. Loyd scored 41 on 28 shots in that overtime game.

Past years' teams look better in hindsight, I guess.

By the way, assists on 9 of 13 2nd half FG as ND shot 56.5% in that half.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2 years ago ND very nearly lost at DePaul and were only saved by a boat load of missed free throws. Loyd scored 41 on 28 shots in that overtime game.

I've always considered you among the most fair and reasoned posters here, UConn fans and all others included.
I eagerly await your response on McGraw's Bench to the opinion expressed by ND fans that there was "too much dribbling" and "no semblance of the Princeton offense"
in the DePaul game. Bty, I agree that the offense did look somewhat better in the second half. Do you think that the fact that AO took less shots and the team's assists went up, in the second half, were purely coincidental ?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I recall Doug Collins once referring to Carmelo Anthony as a "ball movement killer, " indicating that when Melo got the ball, he would dribble around for awhile and eventually shoot it, while everyone else would stand around watching.

I believe ND has the same issue with AO. Against the Huskies, AO had a brief scoring spurt when she hit a few baskets in succession, but I believe she ended up 4-14 for the game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

DePaul is one of those teams, and Doug one of those coaches where, if they have familiarity and a good (not necessarily great) shooting night with an opponent can punch well above their weight. With the common BE background, they have given both Uconn and ND 'trouble'. It is always an interesting game. When they are not on their game, it can turn into what Uconn delivered earlier this season, but it could just as easily be what Uconn got last year, which was a worrisome double digit win.

It looked like ND struggled a bit like they did in the Uconn game through the first half, based only on the box score and the play by play - they seemed to get better in the second half with better passing and fewer one on one stuff, but interestingly it only resulted in a 2 point improvement in MOV - ND +6 in first half, +8 in the second half.

Reaction Score
I recall Doug Collins once referring to Carmelo Anthony as a "ball movement killer, " indicating that when Melo got the ball, he would dribble around for awhile and eventually shoot it, while everyone else would stand around watching.

I believe ND has the same issue with AO. Against the Huskies, AO had a brief scoring spurt when she hit a few baskets in succession, but I believe she ended up 4-14 for the game.
This should have been fairly easy for a "great" coach to fix, especially with their early season fluff schedule. Just pull her off the floor every time she goes off the chain and tell her why. Shouldn't take more than a couple games for the kid to get the message.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This should have been fairly easy for a "great" coach to fix, especially with their early season fluff schedule. Just pull her off the floor every time she goes off the chain and tell her why. Shouldn't take more than a couple games for the kid to get the message.
I absolutely agree. If AO were playing for Geno, she would earn herself a nice warm (hot) seat next to CD on the bench.

Reaction Score
According to Doris, she just needs more reps. Oh sure. She's a junior and how many bunnies did she miss against UConn?
I think Doris just needed to fill some air time with this comment.

Reaction Score
I think Doris just needed to fill some air time with this comment.

Burke was giving Turner the benefit of the doubt - that because of her injuries her development had been hampered her first two years. Essentially, she was saying Turner was behind the curve in what should be expected of her as a junior starter - "she needs more reps". Burke is a WBB promoter and loves touting, and defending, the game's stars.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It looked like ND struggled a bit like they did in the Uconn game through the first half, based only on the box score and the play by play - they seemed to get better in the second half with better passing and fewer one on one stuff, but interestingly it only resulted in a 2 point improvement in MOV - ND +6 in first half, +8 in the second half.

The game was won in a four minute stretch where ND went from tied to up 10 between 4:32 and 0:30 of the the 3rd. ND did play better in the 2nd half...but only after playing poorly at the beginning of the second half. To put it another way, ND and DePaul were even for 25 minutes and then ND was +14 over the last 15 minutes.

Interestingly, I believe that the 5 on the floor for that late 3rd quarter run was Allen, Johnson, Mabrey, even split of Boley & Westbeld, Turner. I know people are criticizing McGraw's handling of Arike, but Young and Johnson have steadily been playing more. I think she is trying to send the message that she needs better all-around play from her and Mabrey while still knowing that the team is dependent on their scoring.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The game was won in a four minute stretch where ND went from tied to up 10 between 4:32 and 0:30 of the the 3rd. ND did play better in the 2nd half...but only after playing poorly at the beginning of the second half. To put it another way, ND and DePaul were even for 25 minutes and then ND was +14 over the last 15 minutes.

Interestingly, I believe that the 5 on the floor for that late 3rd quarter run was Allen, Johnson, Mabrey, even split of Boley & Westbeld, Turner. I know people are criticizing McGraw's handling of Arike, but Young and Johnson have steadily been playing more. I think she is trying to send the message that she needs better all-around play from her and Mabrey while still knowing that the team is dependent on their scoring.
Thanks for the update on how the game went. It is interesting because Muffet has had success with ball dominant guards with Loyd so I think she is probably trying to adjust Arike's game and not necessarily change her instincts. Alter the frequency with which she goes off rather than stop it. Does that make sense?

Reaction Score

Do you think Mabrey is having her freshman slump (the way Stewart did) a year late? Watching her play this time she barely resembled the young woman I recall from last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom