Notre Dame still wants to be our friend (guess what for?) | The Boneyard

Notre Dame still wants to be our friend (guess what for?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Brian Hamilton @ChiTribHamilton
2m
#NotreDame says it would "eagerly entertain" chance to continue women's hoops rivalry with UConn in non-conference play.

Uh, unless they lend a SEROUS hand to our ENTIRE athletic program, NO FREAKIN WAY. Stay strong, Geno

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
If UConn continues to play Notre Dame out of conference, our chances of being team 16 in the (unlikely) event that Notre Dame joins the ACC full-time goes up exponentially. Plus, they are a strong program that has earned my respect. Sign the deal.

Reaction Score
disagree. No dealings with Notre Dame unless they help us land somewhere substantial in football. Gotta draw the line somewhere. Geno thriving without playing Tennessee (and we're playing them in football now!)

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I would think foresight would be a good idea. It cannot hurt to have a quality working relationship with Notre Dame. There is literally no downside to playing them in as many sports as they want to play us in, and a potentially (if unlikely) HUGE upside. Swallow your pride, gentlemen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I reminded of the one word reponse of the American comander at Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge when he call for a US surrender: "NUTS!"

Reaction Score
This is the new world order. Nothing on the ACC "vine" is dying.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'd gladly play them in a series that mirrors a football series between the two schools.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It'd feel nice to tell them to piss off, but it wouldn't help anybody.

Reaction Score
I'm stunned by the Stockholm syndrome on this board. ND has now become almost as culpable as BC in attempting to destroy this program. Only way we should play them in any sport is if there's a football tie-in. And no, they don't have to come to Rent. I'll make that concession.

BTW has anyone seen any comments from Manuel or Herbst on this topic today? hoping the radio silence might be a good thing

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Nobody in the CT
I'm stunned by the Stockholm syndrome on this board. ND has now become almost as culpable as BC in attempting to destroy this program. Only way we should play them in any sport is if there's a football tie-in. And no, they don't have to come to Rent. I'll make that concession.

BTW has anyone seen any comments from Manuel or Herbst on this topic today? hoping the radio silence might be a good thing
Nobody in the CT media is aware that this has any ramifications, so nobody has called them for a quote.

Reaction Score
Just curious why they didn't request to continue playing our men's team as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
as much as it may suck to have to shake hands with them on anything at this point, we can't shut down our ties with them.
Talk to them but see if there's anyway we can tie in a mens hoops game, women's hoops game and football game. We'll be playing hockey with them for a long time, so that sport is locked down.
It sucks but if there's even a 10% chance they will earnestly help us get into the ACC, we have to act like we're OK with them.
Damn I hated typing that.

Reaction Score
You deal with ND on the same basis you deal with anyone else -- you sign deals that you believe are in your own best interests.

Reaction Score
I said it before ... we ARE something better than a Commodity in all this because of that Women's Basketball power. The Mens BB is a great brand; but, I think we need to prove that we'll survive & thrive beyond JC. Football coming up. But, the power of WBB is just a little bit of spice to get us to a better position. (plus good in5 other Olympic) This is about Football. But, it is simultaneously about Brand. We should be in the top 50.

Reaction Score
You deal with ND on the same basis you deal with anyone else -- you sign deals that you believe are in your own best interests.
Exactly. And signing deals with ND are of more interest for the future of UConn then signing deals with most other schools.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Exactly. If the ND agrees to a home and away in Football, we can do the same in WBB.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
It's business, not personal. Stay professional and if it is in our financial interests to continue to play ND OOC, then we do so. If it's not worth it, then we don't.

Reaction Score
Yeah our basketball strength and our "relationships" have worked out wonderfully for us so far.

It means nothing. It will mean nothing. Tell them to go to hell.

Between this and the way our mens bball program was treated by the NCAA we might as well do away with D1 athletics as the fix is in.

Reaction Score
Guys - Notre Dame, just essentially did, exactly the same thing they did 17 years ago. They ensured that they'd have a full regular season football schedule for the foreseeable future - as an independant, in a time when it's becoming harder and harder to be able to fill a football schedule with non-conference opponents, (just as was the problem (but not as much as now) 17 years ago.....and this time around, what didn't exist 17 years ago, but evolved - the contract bowl world.....they actually got themselves a hook into the future of the college football post season, by essentially transferring the same kind of post season agreement they had with the Big East - to the ACC. A 6-6 Notre Dame team is going to be able to take the place of a 7-5 or better ACC team, and the biggest irony, is that 6-6 team, most likely will have been beaten in the regular season by an ACC team, that they are replacing in a bowl game.

Hey ACC - welcome to the old-world Big East.

I, personally, I'm tired of taking it up the rear from Notre Dame and ESPN. The ACC has stepped right up to be the next recipient.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Exactly. If the ND agrees to a home and away in Football, we can do the same in WBB.
I like the way you think! I'm surprised I didn't think of it first. ;)

The last thing we need to do is believe that we need to cater to ND with the hope that they will have our back with an invitation to another conference. They won't and they won't be vindictive unless we really piss them off (and even then, if we can reach the point where we shake hands and make up it won't matter as if it helps them, they'll be in agreement).

One major benefit of this is we can now negotiate with ND with some leverage. In the past, we were able to secure football opponents by offering basketball games as an incentive (Indiana, UNC, Ga Tech, Tennessee, Michigan) but ND always had us on the schedule in sports we excelled in without having to throw us a football series. If they want us now they need to throw something in to sweeten the pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom