Notre Dame Game Thread | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
While consistency is preferred, it is not always attainable. Some players (the great ones) are for the most part able to perform at a high level on a consistent basis. Those players stick out in a crowd like a six-footer at a "little person's" convention. Greatness does not need to boast or brag. It's easily recognized when it appears. Collier, Williams and Samuelson are emerging as this team's core players. I'm not slighting Nurse here. She is the leader of the pack, and an integral part of the team, and it's overall success. I highlight these 3 because they have been consistent over the first 8 games. Other players have had exceptional games too, but not consistently.

Geno knows for certain who must be on the floor, and who he can count on in critical situations. Collier proved her value when she went to the bench, and the flow of the game changed. Lou has completely changed her game and approach since coming in to the program. She much more versatile now, and not just a spot up shooter. UConn does not win this game without Gabby, so nothing need be said about her. She did everything last night except sell concessions in the stands. I said in another post that the Notre Dame game would be the acid test. The biggest game of the year (so far).

Yes, other games loom large also, but not like THIS one. Like the Rose Bowl in football, THIS one is the granddaddy of the all. Notre Dame is on UConn's OOC schedule every year. Anyone who doubted this team's potential has been proven wrong, including me. I said that this team would not go undefeated this year. After last night's performance, I'm not so sure now. That was a MAJOR hurdle that UConn cleared last night. WCBB has taken notice. UConn is slowly running out of teams they were suppose to lose to.

Don't think the remaining teams on their schedule have not taken note. They were all watching last night. Notre Dame v. UConn is a game you want to see, not hear/read about. The Notre Dame faithful left the arena last night shaking their collective heads in wonderment and disbelief, not sure they saw what just happened. That "unfinished business" remains unfinished. Last night was the best chance they'll have for a victory over UConn in the near future. The UConn program is reloading with blue chip talent for next year and beyond to the point of embarrassment.

We know, and recognize the fact that any team on any given night can lose. There were doubters in THIS forum that profanely doubted UConn's chances of victory against the Irish, and said so.
After last night, all the questions about THIS team's potential have been answered. If you can go into one of the loudest/raucous (most anti-UConn) arenas in the country, and play the #1 ranked team that has a long home winning streak going, and emerge victorious, what's left to prove? What do they still need to prove to you? All the doubting Thomases, and folks from Missouri left the building convinced. This year's UConn team is for real. Believe it. :cool:

UConn will play their games as they are scheduled, one at a time. Geno won't have it any other way. Sine the season began, Notre Dame has always been the elephant in the room. They were the one game that everyone pointed to as being THE game. That game would define and expose the real UConn team for 2017-2018. Game, set, match. No more guessing or wondering now. The shroud has been removed. We know see this team for who it really is.

The outside world has taken note. WCBB looked on last night to see the two best teams in Division one go head to head. They saw UConn emerge a bit bloodied, but victorious and unbowed.
The undisputed #1 team in the country left the building last night for their return trip home. Job well done. Are there any doubters now as to who the best team in the country is? If so, stand and be recognized.

Carnac

Reaction Score
40 minutes played - Gabby Williams, Kia Nurse, Katie Lou Samuelson.

Two interesting side bars to this game is:
1. NO UConn player was in serious foul trouble last night. Collier, Samuelson & Dangerfield had three. The most interesting and important note is that Gabby played all 40 minutes, and only had 1 foul. THAT is amazing. That is a trend we hope continues the rest of the season. Gabby needs to be on the floor if UConn is going to continue to win basketball games.
2. UConn was 19-20 (95%) from the free throw line. Games are won and lost at the FT line. ND was 4 of 8.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Two interesting side bars to this game is:
1. NO UConn player was in serious foul trouble last night. Collier, Samuelson & Dangerfield had three. The most interesting and important note is that Gabby played all 40 minutes, and only had 1 foul. THAT is amazing. That is a trend we hope continues the rest of the season. Gabby needs to be on the floor if UConn is going to continue to win basketball games.
2. UConn was 19-20 (95%) from the free throw line. Games are won and lost at the FT line. ND was 4 of 8.
Sorry Carnac. Collier sat the whole second quarter with two fouls. That is foul trouble to me.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I was looking so forward to this game. N.Dame is overrated.Don't get me wrong, they are a good team.But not No.2 I was not impress with N.Dame defense or their Post play.
To me Texas is the team,that played UConn the best so far.

Uh Tarzan, I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you here. I completely respect your opinion, but...........I don't see Notre Dame being overrated. They were the consensus #1 team going in at the beginning of the season. They were undefeated coming in to yesterday's game. True, they have not played the rigorous schedule that UConn has (because they'll see ranked teams during conference play that UConn will not), however they have managed to dispatch their opponents to date with relative ease. They gave a valiant effort, but came up short against the best team in the country. Their loss last night hardly makes them overrated.

Would you say that Baylor & DePaul are also overrated because they too lost to UConn? Let's see how many games the Irish lose this season, and to whom. Several "overrated" top 10 teams have already lost games. Some to unranked opponents. Now I would agree that THOSE teams may have been overrated. If you're a top 10 team, you have no business losing to an unranked team, period!! Notre Dame is the closest team to UConn in terms of talent and being well coached in WCBB. Keep an eye on the Irish and see it for yourself. It would not surprise me if we see ND again in the tournament. The Irish will be right there at tournament time, making a strong bid to win the national championship. Unless I was UConn, I would not want to play them in March.........unless it was for the national championship.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Sorry Carnac. Collier sat the whole second quarter with two fouls. That is foul trouble to me.

OK, to me 2 fouls in the first half is precautionary. Many players can/have continued to play with 2 fouls in the first half without picking up a third one. Some players know how to adjust their defensive approach at that point. To me, 3 fouls in the first half is foul trouble, like Gabby did in an earlier game the year. And 4 fouls anytime is foul trouble. It doesn't mean that either of us is right or wrong, we just perceive differently what being in foul trouble is.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Now comes Sunday with a sold out 15,000 plus rowdies at K State. Wonder how many will be UConn fans

If you're not careful, this is just the kind of game you can lose. A "TRAP" game sandwiched between games of 2 highly ranked opponents (Notre Dame & Ohio State). According to the AP Poll, K-State is ranked 35th (they received six votes), and are flying under the radar. This is the type of team that will play you extremely tough in their place. They have a sold out arena full of extremely loyal and exuberant fans with nothing to lose. Your B+ game is enough to beat this type of team, but don't go in taking them lightly. South Carolina can tell you the horrors of doing that. They lost to an unranked (at the time) Duke team on the road.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you're not careful, this is just the kind of game you can lose. A "TRAP" game sandwiched between games of 2 highly ranked opponents (Notre Dame & Ohio State). According to the AP Poll, K-State is ranked 35th (they received six votes), and are flying under the radar. This is the type of team that will play you extremely tough in their place. They have a sold out arena full of extremely loyal and exuberant fans with nothing to lose. Your B+ game is enough to beat this type of team, but don't go in taking them lightly. South Carolina can tell you the horrors of doing that. They lost to an unranked (at the time) Duke team on the road.
Geno & these Huskies will not overlook KSU....take it to the bank.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I thought Saniya held her own tonight.. her an Kia did the things not seen on paper. I also thought Kia wasn't getting good open looks ..,

Her 33 point outburst against DePaul no doubt got the attention of the Notre Dame staff. I'm sure their game plan going in was to not let Nurse get untracked, and get any open looks at he basket. While she made several significant contributions, last night was not her night.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Collier was subbed for 09:54 of the second quarter. UCONN was up 23 to 14. By halftime the score was tied at 34. So in the time Collier was sitting with foul trouble UCONN was -9. She played the entire second half when UCONN was +11. Arguably Collier's foul trouble had the biggest impact on the game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Her 33 point outburst against DePaul no doubt got the attention of the Notre Dame staff. I'm sure their game plan going in was to not let Nurse get untracked, and get too many open looks at he basket. While she made several significant contributions, last night was not her night.
I agree that Nurse never really got on track offensively, but her defense was solid all night long. She is the best straight-up, man-to-man defender on this team, not named Gabby.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I agree that Nurse never really got on track offensively, but her defense was solid all night long. She is the best straight-up, man-to-man defender on this team, not named Gabby.

I completely agree!!!!!!!!!! :)

Reaction Score
Refs will decide this game in how they call this, a lot of BS fouls. The calling of BS fouls on both sides favors ND b/c they play more players. UConn dominated with their best 5, until Collier came out. UConn with everyone available is a better team. Bad call on 1st of the 2 Collier fouls, the 2nd foul changed the game.
Agree. Surprised there were not more negative comments about refs. A lot of "phantom" calls.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Gabby Williams was crazy good in that game. She is an incredible athlete, surely the best athlete in WCBB. Watching her last night was a lot of fun. This goes to show how good UCONN really was last year that talents like Collier and Williams were on the bench waiting their turn. And it's only going to get better for UCONN next season. She should be the ESPN Player of the Week next week.

After this game, I put Baylor as the second best team in the nation, unless Maryland shocks us with a win against UCONN. Baylor and ND both lost by 11 points but Baylor's loss was on the road and ND's loss was at home. And Baylor stayed closer to UCONN throughout most of the 4th quarter, which ND did not.
And, in my opinion, Colliers foul trouble kept both games closer than they could have been. I've been a Baylor fan for the #3 spot from the start of the season. However after watching both Dawn's team and Mulkey's I think Mulkey's clearly has the edge for the 2nd spot. Expect Kyla, Butler and Bent to get SIGNIFICANT minutes against K-State. Geno cannot afford to wear his big 3 down too much before Dallas. Also expect continued and exponential progress from Ms. Danger. Against ND she showed me she's listening to her coaches in practice and working on her defense.

An interesting UConn advertisement was given by Doris after Mabrey's clear F1 foul, and it was clear. Doris elaborated on the progress of Gabby since she's walked onto the campus from an athlete with few basketball skills to where she is today, an AA candidate. Now as UCMiami has said, many young ladies don't follow WCBB, but they know the names of the major NCAA players. But a matchup of #1 vs #2 is going to draw many eyes and ears from basketball and other sports. I wouldn't be surprised to see other players with major athletic skills, few of which are basketball related, come knocking on Geno's door in the future, looking for a big time makeover.

JordyG

Reaction Score
C'mon Coco. Southbendcane is such low hanging fruit. By calling him/her out, you're just encouraging more of his/her posting! :)
By the way, has anyone heard from our leprechaun loving bender? Looks like he may have swallowed a shillelagh.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

My reaction to Gabby Williams snatching yet another key rebound.

Congrats on a well-earned road victory and sublime performances by your Iron III. May we meet again further down the road (we need the time to get some things in order....).

p.s. I think it was a bad week for drinking during Megan Walker. Vices abound this season. :rolleyes::(

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We sometimes miss real progress. I also noted that Danger did a much better job defensively then the TX game keeping the player she was guarding in front of her.

Reaction Score
Just standing around on offense.
Unusual set up Geno installed in 3rd Q. Lou bringing ball up slowly then starting offense seemed to slow things down. Glad for result but curious on his strategy.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
UConn wiped the smile off Muffet McGraw face, and I heard a pin drop :). I wonder how Muffet feel about "Parity" now?

I don't know if it was accidental or not, but a foul should have been called on Turner, when she elbowed Saniya in the nose.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
And, in my opinion, Colliers foul trouble kept both games closer than they could have been.

I will counter that with the following.
1. Chances are slim that in a rematch that Nina Davis goes scoreless.
2. Kalani Brown was also in foul trouble and that had a major impact on Baylor's offense.
3. Dangerfield probably won't go off for 19 in a rematch. I'm guessing that was the best game she will play this season.
4. The game was at UCONN. That's a big advantage for UCONN.

Here's hoping we get to see a second UCONN vs. Baylor match-up.

Reaction Score
Don't think it was an elbow per se but will have to go to the replay. Thought she got her with the forearm. Still a foul I would think but not a flagrant, if indeed the flagrant rule uses the term "elbow"

At least they weren't booing. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Or mooing!" Diana Tarausi

JordyG

Reaction Score
I will counter that with the following.
1. Chances are slim that in a rematch that Nina Davis goes scoreless.
2. Kalani Brown was also in foul trouble and that had a major impact on Baylor's offense.
3. Dangerfield probably won't go off for 19 in a rematch. I'm guessing that was the best game she will play this season.
4. The game was at UCONN. That's a big advantage for UCONN.

Here's hoping we get to see a second UCONN vs. Baylor match-up.
And in that game BOTH Collier and Gabby were in foul trouble. Think that had any effect on the closeness of the score after the half? Think that will happen in a rematch? Nina Davis' problems were UCONN's defensive strategies, not her sudden ineffectiveness. That defensive strategy was the same as Oregon State's, to play off of her and dare her to shoot that awful shot. Every time she tried to drive UConn's athleticism got in the way. That won't change. By the time they play again Danger will be a consistent double digit scorer. That is if they play again this year. Any court, any time my friend.

Reaction Score
And in that game BOTH Collier and Gabby were in foul trouble. Think that had any effect on the closeness of the score after the half? Think that will happen in a rematch? Nina Davis' problems were UCONN's defensive strategies, not her sudden ineffectiveness. That defensive strategy was the same as Oregon State's, to play off of her and dare her to shoot that awful shot. Every time she tried to drive UConn's athleticism got in the way. That won't change. By the time they play again Danger will be a consistent double digit scorer. That is if they play again this year. Any court, any time my friend.
Reading other teams' boards it appears that every team is going to improve by leaps and bounds by the end of the year making a rematch with UConn much easier. UConn apparently has reached its ceiling for the year, and what you see is what you will get in March because even with the game's best coach when it comes to developing players, this year's team, despite it only being December, has officially peaked. Even with Geno at the helm, UConn never gets better between early December and the NCAA tournament - only other teams do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom