OT: - Notre dame de Paris en feu | The Boneyard

OT: Notre dame de Paris en feu

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I have no words for how sad this is. This building is a world heritage site and is an immensely important, historically, religiously and architecturally. A very sad day.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The worst is that there is simply no way to repair/rebuild/reconstruct. Most will be lost forever.
That was my thought. It's not like it was built in the 80's and can be rebuilt, or even fixed. Over 850 years of history could be lost forever. Terrible loss for the people of France, historians, and Catholics worldwide.

Reaction Score
I was there once and it instantly became my favorite old cathedral. I suspect the most we can hope for is somethign much more modest will be built within the walls to commemorate the building as it was. I find it almost impossible to believe that there's enough money to create even a bare replica of the old building. It's a true tragedy, but there are worse things than for it to become a museum with a modern church attached.

Reaction Score
From what I have seen the masonry portion (main towers and walls) are salvageable. The timber roof is gone. It will be expensive and time consuming, but I think the building can be restored, although some aspects of the building and its contents most likely cannot be replicated.

Reaction Score
Horrible. I still can't believe it. I was just there last month. I hope they do rebuild it.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I just read that the organ has 8000 pipes!

While that seems like an incredible number of pipes, it isn’t unheard of generally. I have a good friend who designs and builds pipe organs. When you see the amounts of his time, labor, materials, and expertise that are involved, it’s much easier to see why organs are so expensive. There is no question that the ND organ will, at the very least, require a removal, refurbishment, and reinstallation. But we can take consolation in that it wasn’t totally lost.

For those who lament that it “can only be original once” and that the originality will now be lost: relax. The ND organ has been modified, expanded, refurbished, and redesigned several times over very many years.

Just cleaning this instrument once it is removed could take several months. But it CAN be brought back to “proper nick.”

All of us who love the beauty of pipe organs wish our French friends the best as they deal with this unfortunate event.

Reaction Score
It would be wrong to think that there has never been extensive restoration in the past.
During the revolution, for example, there was extensive damage in the cathedral (as indeed to
churches all over France).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom