Notre Dame Beat Writer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame Beat Writer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While I agree too much blame gets laid at ND's feet, I do believe the non-FB schools could always point to ND and those "other" programs and say, what are you talking about, we are a good football conference. In other words, ND was cover for the BB schools to thwart the FB schools from upsetting the status quo.
You really think the school presidents and ADs are too stupid to realize that ND had no impact on football since they didn't join for football?

Reaction Score
Agree, however, ND could help by scheduling more games with Big East teams.
No they couldn't. Pitt already plays ND regularly and they left anyway. It has nothing to do with scheduling games and everything to do with money, prestige, and stability. The Big East would not have been more stable, more profitable, and more prestigous had ND been kept out of the conference.

Reaction Score
No they couldn't. Pitt already plays ND regularly and they left anyway. It has nothing to do with scheduling games and everything to do with money, prestige, and stability. The Big East would not have been more stable, more profitable, and more prestigous had ND been kept out of the conference.
ND had nothing to do with the Big East failing as a football conference.

I was simply stating that if ND had played more games each year against Big East opponents it would provide several benefits; increased TV exposure, recruiting benefits and hopefully a better TV deal. Playing Pitt and one other Big East team each year or so was of little value. Playing Pitt and 2-3 other Big East schools every year would have helped.

Obviously had ND joined for football, all problems would be solved. But that does not mean the conference could not succeed without their help.

Reaction Score
ND had nothing to do with the Big East failing as a football conference.

I was simply stating that if ND had played more games each year against Big East opponents it would provide several benefits; increased TV exposure, recruiting benefits and hopefully a better TV deal. Playing Pitt and one other Big East team each year or so was of little value. Playing Pitt and 2-3 other Big East schools every year would have helped.

Obviously had ND joined for football, all problems would be solved. But that does not mean the conference could not succeed without their help.

We were about to get the best TV deal we ever had. $1 billion+, and two schools bolted anyway.

The only thing that could have saved this conference was ND joining.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Notre Dame's position in the Big East was symptomatic of the problem: the Big East was a hodge podge of agendas.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
^^^^^ ding ding ding.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
We were about to get the best TV deal we ever had. $1 billion+, and two schools bolted anyway.

The only thing that could have saved this conference was ND joining.
At that point, yes I agree that would have worked.

However, if the 6 remaining schools want it bad enough, the Big East could still succeed. You have to be willing to look out 10-20 years. Right now, there is no trust between the football schools. The next one to bolt puts the final nail in the coffin.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame's position in the Big East was symptomatic of the problem: the Big East was a hodge podge of agendas.
So if ND was never in the Big East how would things have played out differently?

Reaction Score

Possibly. But things that are symptomatic of an illness only arrive after you are ill. This did not cause, prolong or otherwise effect the illness. The entire BS on this board about Notre Dame is a way of not having to face up to the real problem, which is too many other programs have more fans who go to games, watch on TV, and donate funds. But that requires pointing the finger at ourselves, and not others.

Reaction Score
At that point, yes I agree that would have worked.

However, if the 6 remaining schools want it bad enough, the Big East could still succeed. You have to be willing to look out 10-20 years. Right now, there is no trust between the football schools. The next one to bolt puts the final nail in the coffin.
"Want" has nothing to do with it.

We could all want to stay together, and we could all decide to stay together, and still lose our BCS status.

The nail went in the coffin when Quse/Pitt left.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
So if ND was never in the Big East how would things have played out differently?

Tranghese says we'd have fewer quality bowl invites. It's no secret that the BE aligned bowls use their Notre Dame card when ND isn't sucking out the place.

Reaction Score
"Want" has nothing to do with it.

We could all want to stay together, and we could all decide to stay together, and still lose our BCS status.

The nail went in the coffin when Quse/Pitt left.
WANT has everything to do with it. Everybody wants instant gratification.

Reaction Score
WANT has everything to do with it. Everybody wants instant gratification.
Were you trying to miss my point?
All of the BE 6 could want to remain in the conference, but if a better offer comes along, they have to take it. Even if they want to remain in the Big East, they aren't going to turn down the ACC. Even if they want to, they won't.

Reaction Score
Absolutely agree that we (fans and administration) need to show much greater support for football. Give us WVU's stadium atmosphere, travel support for away games --coupled with our BBall and academics--- and we're coveted not shunned. We either are going to get serious about supporting this team or we're a bunch of disingenuous tailgating party dreamers. I frankly believe that if the word went out that The Big 10 or ACC was going to watch the Syracuse game Nov 5th to see if we've filled the stadium by kickoff--and that would decide our fate--there would still be fans drinking in the parking lots.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with drinking in the parking lot. You need to be in the right frame of mind to watch that gaggle of fellas in orange that passes for a football team. Let the ACC have 'em. They haven't done anything since 1959, bunch of heathens tryin to f..k a football. Forgive me for speakin my mind.

Reaction Score
It had 0.00% effect on the predicament the Big East is in today.

Bizlaw, are you really saying that if ND wasn't an all sports member of the BE from the start that the conference would be in the same position it is today? I don't see how you can justify that statement. For one, we'd have had a much better TV contract which could have negated the lure of the ACC for BC, Miami and Va Tech. Second, the boys in Providence clearly could have benefitted from ND's impact on the league office. Who knows perhaps we could have had a better (maybe even successful) chance at snaring Penn State? Or, maybe we could have become the hunter rather than the prey. I couldn't disagree with you more on this point.

By the way, ND is the only team in any sport that plays every game on national TV (not regional but national) and this applies to the professional teams. Say what you want about whether this is deserved or not but you can't ignore the ramifications of it.

Reaction Score
Possibly. But things that are symptomatic of an illness only arrive after you are ill. This did not cause, prolong or otherwise effect the illness. The entire BS on this board about Notre Dame is a way of not having to face up to the real problem, which is too many other programs have more fans who go to games, watch on TV, and donate funds. But that requires pointing the finger at ourselves, and not others.

You ignore the very real possibility that the league could have kept the more established programs in place with ND football in the fold never mind the possibility of adding some new ones.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'd say ND not being a football member affected the stability of the football league, but ND being a member for other sports didn't have affect one way or the other.

Reaction Score
I
I'd say ND not being a football member affected the stability of the football league, but ND being a member for other sports didn't have affect one way or the other.

I'm only talking about football because that's what's driving this realignment train.

Reaction Score
Bizlaw, are you really saying that if ND wasn't an all sports member of the BE from the start that the conference would be in the same position it is today? I don't see how you can justify that statement. For one, we'd have had a much better TV contract which could have negated the lure of the ACC for BC, Miami and Va Tech. Second, the boys in Providence clearly could have benefitted from ND's impact on the league office. Who knows perhaps we could have had a better (maybe even successful) chance at snaring Penn State? Or, maybe we could have become the hunter rather than the prey. I couldn't disagree with you more on this point.

By the way, ND is the only team in any sport that plays every game on national TV (not regional but national) and this applies to the professional teams. Say what you want about whether this is deserved or not but you can't ignore the ramifications of it.

No. Of course the Big East football league would be better off if the Irish were playing football in it. But Notre Dame made clear to everyone in the world, every step of the way, that they were never going to play football in the Big East.

I said that the Irish being a member for everything else, compared to them not being a member (which is what many here are obsessed about) has no adverse effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom