Notre Dame, 2022-'23 Season | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame, 2022-'23 Season

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I am creating data for the Conference POY contenders and I will reiterate on this thread that Olivia Miles has put together both an ACC POY resume but also strong consideration for All-American 1st team consideration. The only guard playing better than Ms. Miles is Caitlin Clark. By any metric, Olivia is having an outstanding season. The only detriment to her is her 3 pt shooting. She scores, drives, mid-range, rebounds, passes, steal and has that MM attitude to plays well in South Bend (and not so well elsewhere :rolleyes:).

To me, she is the front runner for ACC POY as her team is tied for 1st place. Kitley, the reigning ACC POY is having a very good year as well but VPI is contending for 4th and the double bye.

Yes, I know that some others (cough-cough Duke fan) may think Celeste Taylor or the dreaded Deja Kelly deserve consideration, and they do-just consideration, as their stats pale in comparison to both Miles and Kitley's.

You're welcome @Dillon77

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Someone on the weekly ACC Women's Basketball Wrap-Up Show referred to Olivia Miles and Sonia Citron as "Batman and Robin." Miles makes Citron better, Citron makes Miles better and they both make their teammates better. Citron is just an all-round superb baller.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
ND Loses to NC State, 69-65

• ND started off behind the 8-ball when Lauren Ebo didn't suit up and was in a walking boot on the sidelines. This probably happened in practice in N. Carolina; otherwise, she wouldn't have made the trip. KK Bransford, the freshman guard, gets the start.
  • While ND got off to a good start with a 20-15 first quarter, they laid an egg in the 2nd quarter, 19-9. And NC State jumped to a 16-pt. lead when Coach Ivey got a bit desperate and put in a press with 6'5" Nat Marshall, 6'3" Maddy Westbeld, 6'2" Cass Prosper, 6'1" Sonia Citron and 5'11" Olivia Miles. Over the course of the end of the 3rd quarter and most certainly the fourth brought the lead down and the Irish had a chance right up to the 30-second mark,
  • NC State packed in their zone, knowing Ebo wasn't there to keep dribble drives from Miles and the ND guards; and dared Bransford and others to beat them from outside. Until the 4th quarter, ND was cold and only a few by Prosper and Westbeld in the fourth brought that to 6-23. This was the "what, No Mabrey?" strategy. Let's clamp on Citron and Miles.
  • While Miles and Citron had 13 and 11, respectively, neither shot well (Citron was an uncharacteristic 3-12_ and both had 5 turnovers. Moore had his guards get right in their faces.
  • As a result, Maddy Westbeld led the charge against the Wolfpack again, finishing with 19 pts., 13 rebounds, 5 assists and 2 steals. Best player on the floor for the Irish.
  • ND also got solid play off the bench by Cassan Prosper, who hit 2-4 from 3 en route to 11 pts. Excellent work on the press, but had a tough time covering Diamond Johnson, a normally tough assignment but even more so when you're facing her for the first time in your college career. Nat Marshall played energetically in a short run o the press.
  • Johnson can either shoot the Wolfpack to a lead or out of a game. Today, she hit clutch shots in the fourth to hold off the Irish charge and finished with a game-high 20 points on 4-9 three-pt. shooting. When she's on, she's great.
  • Thought Mimi Collins hurt the Irish, too, with 6-8 shooting.
Congrats to the Wolfpack for getting a solid at-home win against a Top 10 opponent. The silver lining for the Irish was seeing Prosper and Nat Marshall play well in the press and watching Maddy Westbeld be a big-time player you can lean on when the super sophs have a tough(er) day.

Now, the Irish need to see what's up with Ebo. Is it a serious injury or something shorter? Irish probably won't have her for the BC game (at Chestnut Hill) and Duke comes to South Bend next Sunday. Will probably see more of Nat Marshall working in conjunction with Kylee Watson. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ND Loses to NC State, 69-65

• ND started off behind the 8-ball when Lauren Ebo didn't suit up and was in a walking boot on the sidelines. This probably happened in practice in N. Carolina; otherwise, she wouldn't have made the trip. KK Bransford, the freshman guard, gets the start.
  • While ND got off to a good start with a 20-15 first quarter, they laid an egg in the 2nd quarter, 19-9. And NC State jumped to a 16-pt. lead when Coach Ivey got a bit desperate and put in a press with 6'5" Nat Marshall, 6'3" Maddy Westbeld, 6'2" Cass Prosper, 6'1" Sonia Citron and 5'11" Olivia Miles. Over the course of the end of the 3rd quarter and most certainly the fourth brought the lead down and the Irish had a chance right up to the 30-second mark,
  • NC State packed in their zone, knowing Ebo wasn't there to keep dribble drives from Miles and the ND guards; and dared Bransford and others to beat them from outside. Until the 4th quarter, ND was cold and only a few by Prosper and Westbeld in the fourth brought that to 6-23. This was the "what, No Mabrey?" strategy. Let's clamp on Citron and Miles.
  • While Miles and Citron had 13 and 11, respectively, neither shot well (Citron was an uncharacteristic 3-12_ and both had 5 turnovers. Moore has his guards get right in their faces.
  • As a result, Maddy Westbeld led the charge against the Wolfpack again, finishing with 19 pts., 13 rebounds, 5 assists and 2 steals. Best player on the floor for the Irish.
  • ND also got solid play off the bench by Cassan Prosper, who hit 2-4 from 3 en route to 11 pts. Excellent work on the press, but had a tough time covering Diamond Johnson, a normally tough assignment but even more so when you're facing her for the first time in your college career.
  • Johnson can either shoot the Wolfpack to a lead or out of a game. Today, she hit clutch shots in the fourth to hold off the Irish charge and finished with a game-high 20 points on 4-9 three-pt. shooting.
  • Thought Mimi Collins hurt the Irish, too, with 6-8 shooting.

Now, let's see what's up with Ebo. Is it a serious injury or something shorter? Irish probably won't have her for the BC game (at Chestnut Hill). Duke comes to South Bend next Sunday.
Nice analysis…I think there has to be an emotional hangover from the Maybrey injury as well. It might take a few games to get used to the ‘new normal’.

Reactions: mmt

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
ND is still oin control of their ACC destiny with only 1 real test of Duke on the schedule and 2 quasi interesting games against a struggling Louisville team.

What I think none of us on this forum want to see or hear is “poor shorthanded” ND and any travails about injuries as, you know, we own that narrative and are not complaining.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game but ND is still the better team even without Ebo and Mabrey.

ND has played 3 challenging road games this season, all conference games, and has lost 2 of the 3 games. Niele needs to beef up the non-conference schedule.

Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game but ND is still the better team even without Ebo and Mabrey.

ND has played 3 challenging road games this season, all conference games, and has lost 2 of the 3 games. Niele needs to beef up the non-conference schedule.
I would love to see a better Non-Conf next season. And hopefully some more transfers from the portal as well as the incoming freshman. 12 players on the roster minimum. I don't like this shortened roster. I feel for UConn fans

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
I would love to see a better Non-Conf next season. And hopefully some more transfers from the portal as well as the incoming freshman. 12 players on the roster minimum. I don't like this shortened roster. I feel for UConn fans
I only speak for myself, but I don't need or want anyone feeling for me (as a UConn fan), This has been a very enjoyable team to watch and root for. Yes, I would rather they have everyone healthy and steam roll to 40 point plus wins. But having the ability to watch the current available players give it their all night after night is a treat.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

- Think you will see a tougher OOC schedule than last year. ND's Turkey Day tournaments were not tough match-ups, either.

- ND has two other freshmen coming in to join Cassandre Prosper next year in Hannah Hildalgo and Emma Risch. With Mabrey and Lauren Ebo leaving, that will give the Irish 9 or 10 scholarship players, depending on if Jenna Brown sticks around for a possible second year.

Ivey is on record on saying she likes smaller rosters (10), so players can get a shot on the floor.

- If there's any movement on the portal, I think it might be for a center to bridge the gap until 2024, where a post is a focus.
If Brown doesn't come back, maybe another guard, but not a point guard (Hidalgo can do that). Perhaps another long-range bomber?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
ND Defeats Boston College at Chestnut Hill, 72-59

ND was nip and tuck with the Eagles mid-way through the 3rd quarter when the Irish scored 10 straight points; driven primarily by -- who else -- the "dynamic duo" (ACC commentators' words, not mine) of Olivia Miles and Sonia Citron, who finished with 22 and 23 points, respectively. Add in KK Bransford's 10 points and the Irish backcourt scored 55 of ND's 72 points.

A few points to add, which are based while I was scanning the score sheet and listening to ACC Network's "Nothing But Net," which came up on the ACC Network right after Ga. Tech's victory over NC State was completed.

Some Observations on Citron's performance:

- Muffet McGraw thought that "a word was had" with Citron to step up the shooting, in lieu of Dara Mabrey's season-ending injury and subsequent absence. As Kelly Gramlich noted, prior to this injury, Citron was content to take 8 shots a game and not force the issue.
Last night, she took 18, hitting 10 (3 of 6 from three).

That, I believe, will have to continue because Citron is now not only being herself, but taking on the long-range shooting role. Only Miles hit another three for Notre Dame.

- Gramlich is a huge Miles fan (she thinks she's the female equivalent of Magic Johnson), and says ND players have to be ready for her at all times. Gramlich also noted, the one player who is always ready is Citron, because those two are on a similar wavelength.

- And MM noted that what makes Soni even more impressive is ND doesn't really run any plays for her. "It's all based on her movement" and understanding of where to go. To me (Dillon), that's a basic "beat the zone principle": go where they ain't.

- BC, as we know, is a tough place for the Irish, having lost three straight times there before last night. Even before that streak, the games were never pretty. Still Miles had her moments and Citron was exceptional from the field, particularly in the second half.

- In post-game interview, Citron noted two key points:
-- Irish needed to concentrate on defense , because it allows the irish to rebound and ignite the fast break that Miles directs very well
-- The outside shooting opened up because of "inside-out" movement and passing. Bingo -- Another key tenet of busting a zone.

Irish are at home Sunday at 1 p.m. to face Duke.

Reaction Score
It’s hard to assess Notre Dame right now due to the adjustment of playing without two inside/outside veterans in Mabrey and Ebo. It’s hard enough to change two players personnel wise from an offensive flow perspective, but without Ebo Notre Dame has very little physical presence and toughness inside. As a result, the Irish offense is flailing, hoping that outside one on one talent will overcome no inside/outside game.

The most baffling thing is the amount of playing time Prosper is getting. Although a player with tons of potential, she isn’t near ready to be given the offensive reins that Ivey has given her. This is all coming at the expense of Marshall’s development and is doing nothing to plug the inside weakness that the Irish have without Ebo.

One can only hope that Ebo’s injury is temporary. ND is a very different team with her strength and power inside.

Reaction Score
ND, with only 6 points in the 4th quarter, goes down to Duke in a home game, 57-52.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
looking.gif

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I didn't expect to win this game, I was just hoping that we wouldn't get McCallied :oops:

Despite this victory, I think ND is in excellent shape to get the #1 seed in Greensboro. They have the tiebreaker over FSU, and other than a road trip to Louisville.. I don't see any other possible roadblocks on the schedule. FSU still has trips to Blacksburg and Miami.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Hidalgo, ND 2023 Commit, Battles It Out in Jersey Against an ND 2024 Offer, Mikayla Blakes

Hannah Hidalgo's Paul VI WBB team recently beat a very game Rutgers Prep, 72-67, led by junior Mikayla Blakes. And both the ND commit and ND prospect (with offer) excelled.
  • Hidalgo had 29 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists and 5 steals; and,
  • Blakes had 34 points (including 5 three-pointers) and 4 assists. (The article incorrectly says she had 24 pts. Highlights and boxscore indicate the higher number.)

Both got to and excelled at the FT line: HH was 12-14 and Blakes 9-9.

Hidalgo, a McDonald's All-American selection, is one of the top point guards in the country, while Blakes is a 6'1" athletic guard. When I saw Blakes play she was more of an athletic slasher, like Celeste Taylor. Like Taylor now -- but a lot earlier in her career -- Blake has developed a three-point shot. An accurate one.

Here's are some clips of that game (kudos to The Bench's BabaGhanouj for the link).

Reaction Score
Here we go (again)! Nice commentary by Rebecca Logo after initial call.
(Honestly, whoever had the ball last was going to win this game...)

Great game between two really good teams. Hate to lose one like that but what can you say? A great player made a great game-winning shot.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Given the health issues at UConn I would agree (quietly) :).

Per your posts, I thought you might enjoy this clip of a steal, drive and lay-up by Soni (as she's called by teammates, coaches & ND fans):

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom