Notre Dame 2021-2022 | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So how many places do We have to Rehash this in all 3 threads? Transfer thread, New landing spot thread and now this thread? That’s a lot of discussion for a player who only played in 2 seasons in 52 games and a whopping total of 8 min for those 52 games averaging 2 pts, 1 assist, 1 turnover at a position the Irish are already stacked at. But yes you need “bodies” but is she really moving the needle? I think not….

Reaction Score
Did Notre Dame pursue the other Stanford point guard jana van gytenbeek? I liked her and she doesn't have the injury issues that Brown had and she has shown some nice shooting from 3 in limited minutes. Brown just seems like the easier pick up because there is pre-existing relationship and she was once committed to the Fighting Irish but I would have rolled the dice and tried to get Jana instead to continue the Stanford pipeline to ND

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Did Notre Dame pursue the other Stanford point guard jana van gytenbeek? I liked her and she doesn't have the injury issues that Brown had and she has shown some nice shooting from 3 in limited minutes. Brown just seems like the easier pick up because there is pre-existing relationship and she was once committed to the Fighting Irish but I would have rolled the dice and tried to get Jana instead to continue the Stanford pipeline to ND

@DefenseBB : Per your observation: "...at a position the Irish are already stacked at."

The move is all about playing time (and lack thereof). Let's set the stage: Olivia Miles is Notre Dame's floor leader. She's going to be on the floor most of the time. And, yes, Miles is the reason this transaction is not the biggest deal the Irish need to make this off-season.

Yet, I believe Miles was wearing down a bit when Niele had her out on the floor 35 minutes, so the coaching staff wanted to find someone good enough to spell her. That person was not Dara Mabrey.

However, Olivia Miles is only a sophomore next year and will get the bulk of the minutes for the next three years. Van Gtytenbeek wants playing time and lots of it, I presume. She wasn't going to get it backing up Miles. Brown, to the best of my knowledge, only has one year left to play. So, she gets started on a masters, backs up Miles for 10-12 minutes per game (which is a heck of a lot more than she was not playing), gets coached hard by Ivey and is a bridge to the 2023 point guard that ND is trying to land (see Hannah Hidalgo, Lisa Thompson, etc.).

The most important move Coach Ivey needs to make is finding someone to play the middle for the Irish.
Would like to see her roll the dice on that and find someone who can spend multiple years in South Bend.
Don't want to see the Irish fill this year's needs with all grad transfers and then have to do this again next year to some degree.

Thanks for both your points. Always happy to discuss Irish hoops on the one concentrated thread for this team.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So how many places do We have to Rehash this in all 3 threads? Transfer thread, New landing spot thread and now this thread? That’s a lot of discussion for a player who only played in 2 seasons in 52 games and a whopping total of 8 min for those 52 games averaging 2 pts, 1 assist, 1 turnover at a position the Irish are already stacked at. But yes you need “bodies” but is she really moving the needle? I think not….
What does it matter if it gets posted into a few different threads?

If you don't care about the posts just keep it moving.

Reaction Score
However, Olivia Miles is only a sophomore next year and will get the bulk of the minutes for the next three years. Van Gtytenbeek wants playing time and lots of it, I presume.

You are right because it looks like Jana has just committed to Baylor which loses their starting point guard Jordan Lewis. although Sarah Andrews could play point guard or Asberry but either way she has a shot at more minutes. I look forward to hearing which post players will fill in for Maya Dodson through the portal

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
What I am interested in is if Angel Reese is visiting South Bend as has been rumored this week/weekend. That would be a potential game changer in a good way for ND. Where is all the intel on that?

Reaction Score
What I am interested in is if Angel Reese is visiting South Bend as has been rumored this week/weekend. That would be a potential game changer in a good way for ND. Where is all the intel on that?
Who said this?!?!

Reaction Score
OMG! The Irish adding Kylee Watson too!! Things didn't work out in Oregon, for whatever reason, but moving on to Notre Dame. I wish this young lady nothing but the best and great addition Coach Ivey and Notre Dame!!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I look forward to hearing which post players will fill in for Maya Dodson through the portal

OMG! The Irish adding Kylee Watson too!! Things didn't work out in Oregon, for whatever reason, but moving on to Notre Dame. I wish this young lady nothing but the best and great addition Coach Ivey and Notre Dame!!

• Notre Dame was a finalist for Watson when she was in high school/AAU. Very well known to Niele Ivey, who was then heading up recruiting for Muffet McGraw. Watson attended what Benchers dub "Nielefest," the gathering of top recruits at ND.
  • Watson played AAU ball for the (then) Philly Belles, a team Notre Dame has long had ties with.
  • With Maya Dodson moving on and Nat Marshall recovering from another knee surgery (although not deemed as serious as the first one, knock on wood), Watson will get a solid opportunity for serious playing time. She and Marshall would make an interesting complementary pair in the post.
  • ND post coach Carole Owens (pictured below with her arm around Watson) quietly does a solid job. Her students include: Natalie Achonwa, Bri Turner, Jess Shepard and Dodson, among others. Once again, good situation for Watson.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Lauren Ebo just commits to Notre Dame.

• Good get for the Irish. Solid post play at Texas last year and will help clog middle with Kylee Watson.
  • Was recruited out of high school by then Penn State HC, now Irish assc. head coach, Coquese Washington. Must've been a good relationship because she's joining Coach Q again.
  • This will also allow Nat Marshall time to recuperate from latest knee surgery and come back on her schedule.

Reaction Score
Lauren Ebo just commits to Notre Dame.

• Good get for the Irish. Solid post play at Texas last year and will help clog middle with Kylee Watson.
  • Was recruited out of high school by then Penn State HC, now Irish assc. head coach, Coquese Washington. Must've been a good relationship because she's joining Coach Q again.
  • This will also allow Nat Marshall time to recuperate from latest knee surgery and come back on her schedule.

Coach Ivey building something special over in South Bend, Indiana. Wow! Getting Ebo to sign is nice!

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Coach Ivey building something special over in South Bend, Indiana. Wow! Getting Ebo to sign is nice!
I think I'd use the word "assembling" rather than building since, at the moment, she's still accumulating pieces but we have no idea yet how they will all gel. Whether she builds them into a great structure remains to be seen...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Four ND players transferred out after the '21-22 season. ND has replaced them with 3 players from the portal, one who hasn't played in 2 years and has one remaining year of eligibility, and another who is on her 3rd school and also has one remaining year of eligibility. Ivey is bringing in one '22 recruit.

Question: how is that "building" something? I suppose Watson, who has 2-3 years of eligibility, could be part of building something if she plays better at ND than she did at Oregon.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Four ND players transferred out after the '21-22 season. ND has replaced them with 3 players from the portal, one who hasn't played in 2 years and has one remaining year of eligibility, and another who is on her 3rd school and also has one remaining year of eligibility. Ivey is bringing in one '22 recruit.

Question: how is that "building" something? I suppose Watson, who has 2-3 years of eligibility, could be part of building something if she plays better at ND than she did at Oregon.

Citron/Miles is a fantastic core to build around for 3 more years and she's filling in the pieces to make them a Final Four contender next season. Building a program around 2-3 really good players and filling voids via the portal seems to be a new philosophy for numerous coaches.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Citron/Miles is a fantastic core to build around for 3 more years and she's filling in the pieces to make them a Final Four contender next season. Building a program around 2-3 really good players and filling voids via the portal seems to be a new philosophy for numerous coaches.
The reference was to signing Ebo as evidence of "building." As mentioned above, "assembling" is a more apt description of the recent signings.

Before signing transfers Notre Dame was down to a roster of 5 scholarship players. One '22 recruit is coming in and the other 3 are as I've described. The '23 class will show whether Ivey is building something.

Reaction Score

More like jury-rigging a roster together.
When players decide to leave, you do the best you can with what’s available.
Once the dust settles, ND will be about where they were last year-IMHO

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Once the dust settles, ND will be about where they were last year-IMHO
Maybe. Dodson turned out to be an ideal post player for ND and will be missed. I'm not sure what to expect from Ebo. In her last game for Texas (v Stanford) she played 39 minutes and didn't score a basket. Not one. She doesn't really fit ND's up-tempo style. The guard depth will be a freshman and a player who hasn't played in 2 years and before that averaged 8 mpg. Miles and Citron are terrific.

Reaction Score
Good Lord. "Building/Assembling" it doesn't matter. Coach Ivey is putting together a ND squad this is going to be problem.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Good Lord. "Building/Assembling" it doesn't matter. Coach Ivey is putting together a ND squad this is going to be problem.
Sure, and Harper put together a squad at TN last season that was going to be a problem, until it wasn't. Same with Brenda at MD. Remember the DeShields super class at UNC that self-combusted? Any of Holly's teams brimming with A-A's at TN? Aston's teams at TX? Even Oregon over the last two seasons has had tons of top recruits and they've flailed the entire time.

Point is, it's one thing to get recruits, it's another to coach them into a team. It's certainly possible they will be a problem this season, but ND was stacked with top recruits last season and their season, in the end, was fine but historically meh for ND. I'm not sure that Ebo, Watson and Brown are any more notable than Dodson, Peoples, Brunelle, Prohaska, and/or Gilbert were

Reaction Score
Sure, and Harper put together a squad at TN last season that was going to be a problem, until it wasn't. Same with Brenda at MD. Remember the DeShields super class at UNC that self-combusted? Any of Holly's teams brimming with A-A's at TN? Aston's teams at TX? Even Oregon over the last two seasons has had tons of top recruits and they've flailed the entire time.

Point is, it's one thing to get recruits, it's another to coach them into a team. It's certainly possible they will be a problem this season, but ND was stacked with top recruits last season and their season, in the end, was fine but historically meh for ND. I'm not sure that Ebo, Watson and Brown are any more notable than Dodson, Peoples, Brunelle, Prohaska, and/or Gilbert were
Last season Notre Dame wasn't ranked in preseason Top 25 by most polls. Having missed the NCAAs the previous season (technically 2 seasons if not for the Covid cancelation), they had lost the benefit of the doubt of being ranked within the Top 15 no matter what personel losses they have. I'm assuming they have gained it backed after this past season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Last season Notre Dame wasn't ranked in preseason Top 25 by most polls. Having missed the NCAAs the previous season (technically 2 seasons if not for the Covid cancelation), they lost the benefit of the doubt of being ranked within the Top 15 no matter what personel losses they have.

I will say Miles is quite a baller.
She’s got a glide in her step, aggressive and pushes the envelope.
Smart too,
I’d take her on my team any day of the week

Reaction Score
I was doing a little digging on social media (Instagram), and Jadyn Donovan currently now follows over half the ND women's team except for: Miles, Marshall, Citron, and Brown. She also follows the coaches and one that is quite unexplainable: their video coordinator James Spinelli. I have followed her Instagram follows for over a year. She has just recently followed ND transfers Lauren Ebo and Kylee Watson. She also follows the Mabrey's little brother Ryan (she has for months). If this is not a sign, I do not know what is... I do not want to speculate, but.... if she is following those ND players/coaches/video coordinator (most recently), then I do not know what then.

Reaction Score
UCONN already has 2 commitments from top guards in that class.
And we should be concerned about Jadyn because?
Apparently ND will be her selection.
And the band plays on...

Reaction Score
Just got confirmation that ND has a top recruit visiting campus in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom