Nothing like the BY to make you feel sad after a win | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nothing like the BY to make you feel sad after a win

Reaction Score
Maybe take a break from the internet if random strangers on a fan forum make you sad
I don’t take advice from random strangers.

See that was a joke… just like the the title of the thread was a smudge of hyperbole. I’ve never posted on the BY before, but I do read it, and I was trying to inject a bit of context related positivity, which IMO is much needed once in a while.

Reaction Score

See that was a joke… just like the the title of the thread was a smidge of hyperbole. I’ve never posted on the BY before, but I do read it, and I was trying to inject a bit of context related positivity, which IMO is much needed once in a while.

Reaction Score
We have 4 games left in the regular season and struggle to inbound the ball against pressure. More than once today we could not come up with the ball while we had the advantage of numbers. A problem all year long. Losing loose ball situations. The last 4 minutes of each half, a complete fiasco on offense. Wednesday night will give us an answer as to how far the offseason lasts. Richmond was done after the first 10 minutes of the game.

Reaction Score
You’re right. We don’t have a real point guard. Does that mean we should give up? Hand back the 20 wins we’ve earned so far?

And you are a pessimist. Go back to your reaction when we lost Akok, Gaffney and Floyd. It was like we’d never rebound—yet here we are, a top 20 team once again. If you keep moving the goalposts you’ll never be satisfied
Ok will let you say we don’t have a point guard if that makes you….however it makes you feel…..but I know we do have a kid Newton for 5 games, played as well as any other point guard played over that period..who can put up a triple double against a top 10 team and who can hit his free throws even when he does not play well….and I did see today that our backup point guard is more than capable of handling the point when his number is called….

So you can say what you want….feeling pretty good about our point guard situation

Reaction Score
Poorly coached offense the last minutes, right on Hurley.. Yes I’m happy with the win but it bodes badly for us in the future against better teams which btw we’ve all seen plenty this year. The good news was Jackson being better. The bad, Newton and Alleyne.
Jackson did a great job today. As for Newton, he seems to be reverting back to January the last two games. If he's not involved in the offense, we no longer have his consistent #3 perimeter/drive threat to be able to punish defenses for sagging Andre's defender to overplay Sanogo and/or Hawkins. Against a team like SH without arguably its best player (Richmond), we worked around it with contributions from others. Against Providence? Much tougher task.

Reaction Score
Yes it’s a win and we’re back to being consistently good, but I am frustrated because greatness is within our reach that’s encouraging but frustrating at the same time. We should be better then 5th in the BE.

Celebrating 20 wins if you wanna celebrate that go ahead but it’s not good enough for me. It’s like Yankee fans celebrating a wild card berth.

Reaction Score
Let’s keep in mind there is still frustration over the losses to Seton Hall and St John’s. Let’s be honest we saw a bit of regression from the Creighton game which was a full week off.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

See that was a joke… just like the the title of the thread was a smudge of hyperbole. I’ve never posted on the BY before, but I do read it, and I was trying to inject a bit of context related positivity, which IMO is much needed once in a while.
Was that completely a joke? Why continue this?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Not remotely a pessimist - do not confuse my pragmatic view of this team as pessimism because you just want to have smoke blown up your ass about how awesome UConn basketball is.

Tell me who the point guard is on this team.
dang, that's sum good mulch right thar, yes indeedy.
'throat punching extraordinaire!' methinks.

how do you make a fist with a fin? i can see the results easily enuf, just can't visualize it. are u some kind of evolutionary anomaly?

Reaction Score
We were up 16 with 6:02 to go. Given the momentum and the fact that SH was getting into foul trouble - we should have won by 20 easily. Was super frustrating to watch them get close.

That being said - I'm not really worried. The overall play today was much better, and I'm looking forward to Providence on Weds night.

Reaction Score
Today’s win seems to be a glass half full kind of perception test … a fan can be upset we didn’t play well against a team we were expected to beat or happy in spite of not playing well the team gutted out a win against a good opponent.

Newton didn’t play well, but Ajax had arguably one of his best games of the season.

Adama clearly was not 100 percent and was laboring hard in the second half but he literally saved the game for his team with that amazing block at the end. Seton Hall never threatened again.

Hawkins shot poorly but he showed a willingness and ability to get the rim and Had that electrifying dunk of the year. And he still managed 20 points.

This team is not perfect but they are easy to root for. Happy with the win. Now crush Providence!
I drove from Boston to the game and enjoyed it. UConn games are something I never take for granted even when I lived in Storrs. A win is a win, sure, and Adama it was clear to see that he wasn't himself with the illness. However, when UConn was up 16 (56-40 with about 6 min left) it shouldn't come down to Sanogo saving the day with a block with a little over 1 minute left. I thought UConn was going to win even their play was diminishing within the last 6 minutes of that game, but even the slightest of doubt should never creep in and it did.

Again, a win is a win, that is good, but for people looking for more in March, which isn't wrong to do, yesterday's game didn't inspire confidence. There are still 4 more games to go and then the BE tournament-a lot can change for the better for this UConn team. The full book hasn't been written and finished.

Reaction Score
do people on here realize that seton hall is a top-15 defense? they aren't a good team, but they are really good defensively.
They had a hell of an invisible man on their team stopping our missed layups.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
do people on here realize that seton hall is a top-15 defense? they aren't a good team, but they are really good defensively.
statistically, we're not so hot in the 2nd half, pointed out long ago. still true.
plus around 300 in the first, plus around 100 points in the 2nd.
overall, close to even on total to's and steals.
they always get more ft's cuz we are absolutely, stone cold hackers, statistically. 580 for them, 530 for us. without tris' 123 taken, we'd look tragic in our ability to get ft's. our other 'point guard' has 32, which is less than our other, other, point guard, diarra, 37. jax has almost 700 minutes, diarra around 400.
as we head into the season of late-in-the-game do'ers, down-to the-wire finishes, these are not good things.

did i do the 'stat' thing correctly?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Let's all listen to a poster who has over 80% of their total posts in this single thread and dismiss the opinions of the people who have seen every game for the last 30 plus years of heartbreak, disgust, elation, and dominance because you disagree yet can't articulate why you think this version is the cat's pajamas other than it's better than the last few years, even though it is debatable we will advance farther than last year's team.

Those hoping for a 2011 or 2014 run are hoping Hawkins becomes unstoppable (2011) or that Sanogo, Hawkins consistently impose their physical dominance on opponent and a rotating third option gets every game. (2014). We have early season examples that this is not an impossible thing to have happen. The preseason spanking of national contenders (2011) and beating the #1 team (2014) both happened this season.

This inability to close games and the inconsistency on both ends wasn't a factor in either of those seasons. The 2011 BE was also way better than the 2023 BE. We can make the FF and we can exit in the first round.

Reaction Score
Let's all listen to a poster who has over 80% of their total posts in this single thread and dismiss the opinions of the people who have seen every game for the last 30 plus years of heartbreak, disgust, elation, and dominance because you disagree yet can't articulate why you think this version is the cat's pajamas other than it's better than the last few years, even though it is debatable we will advance farther than last year's team.

Those hoping for a 2011 or 2014 run are hoping Hawkins becomes unstoppable (2011) or that Sanogo, Hawkins consistently impose their physical dominance on opponent and a rotating third option gets every game. (2014). We have early season examples that this is not an impossible thing to have happen. The preseason spanking of national contenders (2011) and beating the #1 team (2014) both happened this season.

This inability to close games and the inconsistency on both ends wasn't a factor in either of those seasons. The 2011 BE was also way better than the 2023 BE. We can make the FF and we can exit in the first round.
I’m assuming this is directed at me, if not I apologize. Are you implying that posting on the Boneyard is qualifier for being a real fan? I think that’s a little presumptuous and at the same time, if that’s true, being dismissed as a fan for telling people to enjoy the wins is pretty ironic.

I’m excited to see what this team can do in the stretch run. We have the pieces, just have to put them together consistently. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score

Don't you dare say that, SubbaBub, LOL. I said almost the exact same thing last year before the NM St. game when a lot of people here were looking ahead saying UConn has a good chance of beating Gonzaga and to make the Final Four. I stated UConn could get beaten by almost any team in the field and got blasted for it.

Reaction Score
Let’s keep in mind there is still frustration over the losses to Seton Hall and St John’s. Let’s be honest we saw a bit of regression from the Creighton game which was a full week off.
This right here. If they don't choke at home to St Johns and then throw one away at Seton Hall and are sitting 22-5 I think there would be less angst.
They got the win. Like to see them hang on for a first round bye in the BET, make a nice run and then win a couple of Tourney games.

Reaction Score
I’m assuming this is directed at me, if not I apologize. Are you implying that posting on the Boneyard is qualifier for being a real fan? I think that’s a little presumptuous and at the same time, if that’s true, being dismissed as a fan for telling people to enjoy the wins is pretty ironic.

I’m excited to see what this team can do in the stretch run. We have the pieces, just have to put them together consistently. Go Huskies!
I promise you it is not. But for some its just the only thing they have in life made obvious by the post count.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Back to the topic, I would wager that Newton had the ball in his hands for a lower percentage of time on the court than any other game this year. I also believe that this was entirely by design as the staff was concerned with Dawes and how Newton would have been able to handle running the offense with Dawes defending him.

How well we do in the tournament will depend almost entirely on matchups. The wrong opponent, one with small, quick, physical guards can give us trouble, even if it is a school capable of no more than a double digit seed. The right matchup, even if it is an opponent many view capable of winning it all, could end up looking like any of our non-conference opponents looked against us.

Newton is tall and thin for a PG, both to extremes in comparison to what we are used to. In the right situation he can do things as well as any player we've had (two triple doubles in one season is no small feat) but in the wrong one he could be invisible.

Reaction Score
Back to the topic, I would wager that Newton had the ball in his hands for a lower percentage of time on the court than any other game this year. I also believe that this was entirely by design as the staff was concerned with Dawes and how Newton would have been able to handle running the offense with Dawes defending him.

How well we do in the tournament will depend almost entirely on matchups. The wrong opponent, one with small, quick, physical guards can give us trouble, even if it is a school capable of no more than a double digit seed. The right matchup, even if it is an opponent many view capable of winning it all, could end up looking like any of our non-conference opponents looked against us.

Newton is tall and thin for a PG, both to extremes in comparison to what we are used to. In the right situation he can do things as well as any player we've had (two triple doubles in one season is no small feat) but in the wrong one he could be invisible.
I think our success will have more to do with officiating. If we’re allowed to move freely on offense we’ll roll. It’s almost impossible to guard Adama and Hawkins without being overly physical

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Anyone think we are not a top 5 team with RJ running the point?

I think we are a top 5 team now if everyone plays close to their potential. RJ was option 1 last year, so it's not a fair comparison.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom