Nothing left in the tank after beating the Legendary Program? | The Boneyard

Nothing left in the tank after beating the Legendary Program?

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Since 1996 and 1997, when Tennessee beat UCONN in the first in the Final Four and then in the Regional Final en route to two championships, only one other victorious team was able to finish off the season with a win. In fact, the teams beating UCONN in the NCAAs were a combined 2-9 after their big win, most of them significant beat-downs. Lots of possible explanations, including the next team simply being better than them, but it does suggest a post-UCONN letdown. The ten intervening UCONN championship years are skipped, listing only the losses.

Thoughts?

UCONN Lost to (winner’s record thereafter)

1998 Lost to NC State (0-1, lost to Louisiana Tech)

1999 Lost to Iowa State (0-1, lost to Georgia)

2001 Lost to Notre Dame Final Four (1-0, beat Purdue)

2005 Lost to Stanford Round of sixteen. (0-1, lost to Michigan State)

2006 Lost to Duke Regional Final (1-1 beat LSU lost to Maryland)

2007 Lost to LSU Regional Final (0-1 Lost to Rutgers)

2008 Lost to Stanford Final Four (0-1, lost to Tennessee)

2011 Lost to Notre Dame Final Four (0-1, lost to Texas A&M)

2012 Lost to Notre Dame Final Four (0-1, lost to Baylor)

2017 Lost to MS St Final Four (0-1, lost to South Carolina)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not surprising. Beating UConn requires a Herculean effort by the opposing players and coaches. The game is going to go down to the wire with starters probably playing big minutes. Not a lot left in the tank for another big game a couple days later.

Reaction Score
One thought is that beating UConn didn't take on its current prominence until after the 2008 season. It's the last decade that's taken on a legendary status. That's when the truly mind boggling accomplishments have been achieved.

Reaction Score
Since 1996 and 1997, when Tennessee beat UCONN in the first in the Final Four and then in the Regional Final en route to two championships, only one other victorious team was able to finish off the season with a win.

2001 Lost to Notre Dame Final Four (1-0, beat Purdue)
Great post! thanks.
And that loss to ND (after two catastrophic injuries late in the season and D losing her freshman cool in the 2nd half against the Irish) may well be the bitterest loss in all UConn history. It gave ND its only NC and deprived what might have been the greatest team in all WCBB history.

Reaction Score
With my tongue firmly planted in my cheek: It seems obvious that UCONN is way over-rated. If UCONN was any good, teams which beat them would be able to win more games.

Reaction Score
Great post! thanks.
And that loss to ND (after two catastrophic injuries late in the season and D losing her freshman cool in the 2nd half against the Irish) may well be the bitterest loss in all UConn history. It gave ND its only NC and deprived what might have been the greatest team in all WCBB history.

2001 may have been the best collection of talent in WCBB history, but it was far from the best team. At full strength they lost to ND during the regular season at at near-full strength lost to Tennessee.

That said, we would have had a realistic shot at 5 titles in a row.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
2001 may have been the best collection of talent in WCBB history, but it was far from the best team. At full strength they lost to ND during the regular season at at near-full strength lost to Tennessee.

That said, we would have had a realistic shot at 5 titles in a row.
I ran into Ann Meyers on the hotel elevator in St. Louis in 2001 and asked her what she thought. She said UConn was looking at a 3-peat, meaning 2000, 2001, and 2002. She was right, but didn’t count on Dee in 2003 and 2004.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was really disappointed in both LSU and Stanford. I think they played their A game against us, then went out and played their C+ game the next round. Rutgers did the same in beating LSU and losing to Tennessee.

Reaction Score
I was really disappointed in both LSU and Stanford. I think they played their A game against us, then went out and played their C+ game the next round. Rutgers did the same in beating LSU and losing to Tennessee.

MSU was especially awful against South Carolina.

Vivians 4-16 from the floor, and Itty Bitty was benched for most of the 2nd half.

Reaction Score

Vivians 4-16 from the floor, and Itty Bitty was benched for most of the 2nd half.
Hoping for a rematch in the FF...whether it be the semi & or final it doesn't matter to me. Last year's win in my opinion could have been avoid if Chong didn't drive to the basket with so much time let on the clock...she was a senior..she panicked...having said all that..if you are on the winning end of a buzzer beater so very sweet for your team & fans..That will not happen with the ball in Dangerfields hands this year..Just my thoughts.

Reaction Score
It didnt come down to Saniya. Only Gabby played well and yes she outplayed McCowan who only had 10pts. It was the perfect storm as over confidence, outhustled, poor def. rebounding, poor shooting and tempo controlled by Miss. State. Uconns last 2 losses had plays that the team ran like they didnt have a clue. Neither play had a shot that came close to hitting the rim. Saniyas drive to the basket. With 2.6 seconds left KML inbounds to Stokes and gets the pass back with 90 ft. to go. There was no shot for a shot. You give your slowest player the ball to bring up. Stanford hit 3 of 4 free throws to win the game. Bonnie Samuelson hit 2 free throws to take the lead for good and sister Karlie adding one for good measure! Uconn did not know what to run in either game at the end. That is one of the last things you do in practice because you are tired just like a game. You have to be more meticulous with your screens, how you come off the screen, your cuts, your timing, your reads and your passing. You run these plays through to your best options on offense. There is no time to 2nd guess yourself because if you do ball game.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Tried as they did, State couldn't answer the bell. State was still caught up in the after glow of their amazing upset win over UConn. That game was their championship game. When UConn won the NC 2 years ago, how long was before you came down off the chandelier? It was about a week for me. State was just not ready to play that game.

They were nothing more than ripe low hanging fruit for the Gamecocks. It's almost impossible to play another game less than 48 hours after you just won the biggest game in your program's history. They were physically and emotionally drained. They had nothing left.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It didnt come down to Saniya. Only Gabby played well and yes she outplayed McCowan who only had 10pts. It was the perfect storm as over confidence, outhustled, poor def. rebounding, poor shooting and tempo controlled by Miss. State. Uconns last 2 losses had plays that the team ran like they didnt have a clue. Neither play had a shot that came close to hitting the rim. Saniyas drive to the basket. With 2.6 seconds left KML inbounds to Stokes and gets the pass back with 90 ft. to go. There was no shot for a shot. You give your slowest player the ball to bring up. Stanford hit 3 of 4 free throws to win the game. Bonnie Samuelson hit 2 free throws to take the lead for good and sister Karlie adding one for good measure! Uconn did not know what to run in either game at the end. That is one of the last things you do in practice because you are tired just like a game. You have to be more meticulous with your screens, how you come off the screen, your cuts, your timing, your reads and your passing. You run these plays through to your best options on offense. There is no time to 2nd guess yourself because if you do ball game.

Thanks cbraarj, excellent post. This is the best short narrative I've read capsulizing play in those two games. You observed these games from the same vantage point I did.

Reaction Score
Tried as they did, State couldn't answer the bell. State was still caught up in the after glow of their amazing upset win over UConn. That game was their championship game. When UConn won the NC 2 years ago, how long was before you came down off the chandelier? It was about a week for me. State was just not ready to play that game.

They were nothing more than ripe low hanging fruit for the Gamecocks. It's almost impossible to play another game less than 48 hours after you just won the biggest game in your program's history. They were physically and emotionally drained. They had nothing left.

South Carolina was the better team last year. They beat them 3 times. I guess they were physically and emotionally drain the first 2 times as well.

Reaction Score
Hoping for a rematch in the FF...whether it be the semi & or final it doesn't matter to me. Last year's win in my opinion could have been avoid if Chong didn't drive to the basket with so much time let on the clock...she was a senior..she panicked...having said all that..if you are on the winning end of a buzzer beater so very sweet for your team & fans..That will not happen with the ball in Dangerfields hands this year..Just my thoughts.
MSU was especially awful against South Carolina. Vivians 4-16 from the floor, and Itty Bitty was benched for most of the 2nd half.

Vivians shot 4-16 against SC during the regular season game and 3-10 in the SEC championship game. So her poor shooting performance has more to do with SC defense than any perceive letdown from the UCONN game.

Reaction Score
Vivians shot 4-16 against SC during the regular season game and 3-10 in the SEC championship game. So her poor shooting performance has more to do with SC defense than any perceive letdown from the UCONN game.
Vivians was 6-18 against Uconn. So Uconns defense did well also! SC might have won the NC last year. The biggest game of the year was the Uconn-Miss. State game! When Uconn losses a game. It is the biggest news story in the country for WCBB! You here more about Uconns loss than SCs win!

Reaction Score
I think is a great posting and really good thread.
I think there are a few factors that led to MS loss to SC in the finals.
It was not a good matchup for MS and with Wilson against McGowan it shows her severe limitations. She primarily scores on put backs as she is so darn big and strong. They lost twice to SC previously so that's #1.
MS played the game of their lives against U Conn and I very much doubt that will ever be repeated by them. U Conn maybe played its C game, except for the period or so, they needed to catch up. They were horrible starting the game and got out worked, out hustled and let MS set the tone. Once they caught up they were never able to take a good lead. The last offensive play was so poorly performed as MS should never have even gotten a shot to win. It at least partially comes from Saniya not being a true point guard.
None or certainly not all (sorry for double negative) will happen again this year if we play them again.
One, AZ will make a huge impact inside with lots of help from Gabby & Pheesa. Two we truly have a high quality point guard to run the show.
Three, KLS is a much better player and whether it be her shooting and / or her passing, will impact game more. Four is we will be better prepared for this game both strategically and mentally. Kia & Gabby extra especially, and Phersa and KLS will be beyond motivated.
I predict a comfortable win against MS and a 12th NC!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I think is a great posting and really good thread.....I predict a comfortable win against MS and a 12th NC!
Bronx23

Personally, I am less concerned about MS in the Finals than I am about getting past Baylor as they are projected to be on our side of the bracket. The play of their two bigs will be challenging. Anybody else feel that way?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Personally, I am less concerned about MS in the Finals than I am about getting past Baylor as they are projected to be on our side of the bracket. The play of their two bigs will be challenging. Anybody else feel that way?
I bet Geno does too. Plan for the next game now, leave the worry about the last game to the fans! Go Huskies! Who's next? :)

Reaction Score
I agree that Baylors two bigs can present issues but we now have three sort of play bigs. Our guards, our speed, mobility will more than neutralize that. Our defensive pressure will force the bigs when they do get the ball to be up higher than they'd like.
Baylor has played a weak schedule and won't be anywhere near prepared for who and what I Conn is and brings!
Bronx23

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Vivians was 6-18 against Uconn. So Uconns defense did well also! SC might have won the NC last year. The biggest game of the year was the Uconn-Miss. State game! When Uconn losses a game. It is the biggest news story in the country for WCBB! You here more about Uconns loss than SCs win!

And 2 of those makes were banked in 3s....aka complete fluke luck.

Reaction Score
You beat Baylor by running them off the court.
Run Run and Run some more.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think is a great posting and really good thread.
I think there are a few factors that led to MS loss to SC in the finals.
It was not a good matchup for MS and with Wilson against McGowan it shows her severe limitations. She primarily scores on put backs as she is so darn big and strong. They lost twice to SC previously so that's #1.
MS played the game of their lives against U Conn and I very much doubt that will ever be repeated by them. U Conn maybe played its C game, except for the period or so, they needed to catch up. They were horrible starting the game and got out worked, out hustled and let MS set the tone. Once they caught up they were never able to take a good lead. The last offensive play was so poorly performed as MS should never have even gotten a shot to win. It at least partially comes from Saniya not being a true point guard.
None or certainly not all (sorry for double negative) will happen again this year if we play them again.
One, AZ will make a huge impact inside with lots of help from Gabby & Pheesa. Two we truly have a high quality point guard to run the show.
Three, KLS is a much better player and whether it be her shooting and / or her passing, will impact game more. Four is we will be better prepared for this game both strategically and mentally. Kia & Gabby extra especially, and Phersa and KLS will be beyond motivated.
I predict a comfortable win against MS and a 12th NC!
Bronx23

The ball never should've even been in Chong's hands that entire possession.

The only acceptable play call, based on how that game was going, was get it to Gabby at the FT line and let her create.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom