Notable compliment for Breanna Stewart | The Boneyard

Notable compliment for Breanna Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Caught this in one of Nan's newslinks this morning - Jim Marsh, coach of an opposing team that played Breanna's squad recently is quoted:

"We played against Sue Bird and Chamique Holdsclaw and Shenise Johnson, and I coached Camille Murphy here," he said, listing two stars from Christ the King and one from Rush-Henrietta who won New York's Miss Basketball Award, plus one (Murphy) who would have won the state's most prestigious basketball award if not for Bird's presence in the class of '98.

"But if I had to choose between those kids and her," he continued, gesturing with a tilt of the head and flick of his eyes to the lanky, 6-foot-4 senior chatting with fans and parents near center court, "I'd take her."

:cool:

Nan's Link

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Well now, that's quite a compliment.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Now, IIRC, Sue was a #10-20 recruit nationally. But Chamique was #1, was she not?

In either case, if Breanna ends up having a college career remotely resembling either of those two, I'll take it...preferably without the season-ending injury Sue had as a freshman.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Right Sue was around 20, but that was a farce, because Blue Star was the only service that publicized their rankings and Mike Flynn resented Sue playing for a different AAU program, so he downgraded her ranking. Stupid, because that silly move cost the respect of everyone who knew about it.

And everyone who played against Sue in either HS or AAU, and their coaches, and the college coaches who knew Sue knew she was easily top 5 in that class, probably #1.. And then Flynn had two total busts that he ranked #1 in successive classes, Kaz the guard for NY and a big center from Iowa named Smith. Guess which AAU program those two played for.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe that CTK has had 3 WCBB POYs in Chamique, Sue, and Tina. Outstanding! Breanna sounds like someone who would be a strong NPOY candidate, maybe a winner, maybe a multiple time winner.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Future teammates, which is a problem for all the other teams:

833dd52b-cc58-e111-8395-002655e6c45a_original.jpg

Reaction Score
Caught this in one of Nan's newslinks this morning - Jim Marsh, coach of an opposing team that played Breanna's squad recently is quoted:

"We played against Sue Bird and Chamique Holdsclaw and Shenise Johnson, and I coached Camille Murphy here," he said, listing two stars from Christ the King and one from Rush-Henrietta who won New York's Miss Basketball Award, plus one (Murphy) who would have won the state's most prestigious basketball award if not for Bird's presence in the class of '98.

"But if I had to choose between those kids and her," he continued, gesturing with a tilt of the head and flick of his eyes to the lanky, 6-foot-4 senior chatting with fans and parents near center court, "I'd take her."

:cool:

Nan's Link
She is a thinner EDD with better defensive skills and and a non-stop motor.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Now, IIRC, Sue was a #10-20 recruit nationally. But Chamique was #1, was she not?

In either case, if Breanna ends up having a college career remotely resembling either of those two, I'll take it...preferably without the season-ending injury Sue had as a freshman.
I think you are gonna be happy. I think she'll end up more in the " Taurasi, Moore or Stewart" conversation.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She is a thinner EDD with better defensive skills and and a non-stop motor.
Breanna is a very good shooter, while Elena is a great shooter.

I agree about Breanna's defense and motor--well put.

Reaction Score
I think the best comparison to Breanna in the future will be Parker more so than EDD....

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think the best comparison to Breanna in the future will be Parker more so than EDD....
to a degree, but a few things - Bree is already a better ball handler and shooter than Parker was. Parker didn't even develop a 3-point shot till the WNBA and Bree already posesses that. so Bree's got superior ball handling and shooting skills compared to Parker. However, she's already more athletic and better in the post with moves around the basket than EDD. She's more athletic and a better defender as well. Having said that, while her FT shooting has been on fire recently, she's not nearly the 3-point and long range bomber/shooter that EDD is.

but as an all around player, IMHO, Bree will be better than either of them - she's that good. add to that top 3 in her class wing/forward Morgan, and possibly one of the best all around PG's ever coming out of HS in Moriah and it's completely unfair.

depending on who Geno recruits after them, UCONN could easily win 2 NC's during Bree's time at Storrs, and i wouldn't bet against them winning 3, or maybe even 4. if they land Diamond, Soniya, and Erica, then pencil them in for 3.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Has she had games where she had to deal with a really strong inside post and how did she do?

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Her team beat Bolingbrook and their 8 D-I recruits. Tuck is very strong. Breanna's length and smarts will do wonders for her! Morgan won't be too shabby either ;)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The one thing that Bree will have is an unbeleivable team surrounding her. No defense will be able to play her one on one without leaving a superstar open. Its really going to be silly. Uconns second starting 5 will be the number 2 team in the country. Dont forget KML is number 1 in her class Bree is number 1 in her class, Moriah is number 2 in her class and if Diamond comes shes number 1 in her class and is Saniya comes.... Im getting excited already.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Parker is the closest comparison that I can think of. Tall with great skills and nifty moves.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
IMO you cant compare anyone to Bree. She does so much more then any other player her size. EDD is great from the outside. Parker is great inside. Bree is so much quicker, and a great ballhandler, a great shot blocker and is all over the floor helping out, which reminds me of Maya. Surrounding her with who UConn is bringing in and who UConn has on their roster and she will be so much more effective because you cant double her. UConn will be silly good. It will be interesting playing Baylor and if one of the BE coaches get the Tenn job and we get to play Tenn it will be a humbleing expereince.

Reaction Score
What more can be said about Breanna Stewart that has not already been said? I can picture Geno saying, "we have Breanna and you don't". The future looks very, very good for UCONN.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Heather 6'4 Stef 6'5 Breanna 6'4 Morgan 6'3 Kiah 6'3 MJ 6'3. A bunch of shot blockers and and scorers. This is UConns Towers of Power. Look at these names and think how silly its gonna be for opponets facing UConn. The big question will be how do they get the ball inside????? Now think Diamond and whoever else is in the wings waiting. This isnt even fair.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well last summer she has already outplayed PRO players as the only high school player on the National U19 team.
Even more impressive, it was in the Pan Am games with no age limit.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Back to the EDD argument: We just don't know how great she is but will find out next month for sure.

Reaction Score
Heather 6'4 Stef 6'5 Breanna 6'4 Morgan 6'3 Kiah 6'3 MJ 6'3. A bunch of shot blockers and and scorers. This is UConns Towers of Power. Look at these names and think how silly its gonna be for opponets facing UConn. The big question will be how do they get the ball inside????? Now think Diamond and whoever else is in the wings waiting. This isnt even fair.
Morgan is 6'2".

Reaction Score
Has she had games where she had to deal with a really strong inside post and how did she do?
In the Nike TOC - Phoenix againt Winward's Imani Stafford, Stewart scored 14 points. A loss by about 5 points or so.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well last summer she has already outplayed PRO players as the only high school player on the National U19 team.

Don't get me wrong. I know she is a very, very good player....but I am also your typical greedy, spoiled, I want it all RIGHT NOW UConn fan. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom