Not to look too far ahead...while still looking ahead. | The Boneyard

Not to look too far ahead...while still looking ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Doty, Hartley, KML, Faris, Dolson, Stewart-sub - #1 team in the country next year.

Baylor - #2

Moriah J, BB, Morgan Tuck, Michala Johnson, Kiah Stokes w/ LE and HB subs - #3 team in the country next year.

I thought this year would be interesting and entertaining - it will be even moreso next year.

Reaction Score
Nice thought, but UConn's second team next year wouldn't be the #3 in the country. Maybe #10 ... certainly in the top 20. That's impressive enough for me!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Doty, Hartley, KML, Faris, Dolson, Stewart-sub - #1 team in the country next year.

Baylor - #2

Moriah J, BB, Morgan Tuck, Michala Johnson, Kiah Stokes w/ LE and HB subs - #3 team in the country next year.

I thought this year would be interesting and entertaining - it will be even moreso next year.
I would put Stewart on the other team.

So it's - Doty, Hartley, Dolson, Faris, Lewis.

Then it's - Jefferson, Banks, Stokes, Stewart, Tuck.

Definately a top 10 team.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
You are right. I still think there would be a way to seperate the 13 person roster next year and make two of the top 5 teams in the country.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You are right. I still think there would be a way to seperate the 13 person roster next year and make two of the top 5 teams in the country.
Switch Dolson and Stokes.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
when you consider the starters will probably be CD, Bria, Kelly, KML and Stef, that's top 2 with Baylor. one has to be #1 but i think it's pretty close.

when you consider Moriah, Brianna, Morgan, Bree and Kiah, i'd put them easily top 10. maybe top 5. i think Duke might be ahead. not sure who else. maybe Rutgers?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Depth can be overrated insomuch as no matter how many talented players you have, you've still only got five positions on the floor and 200 minutes of playing time to work with. However, UConn's style of play, which is deeply rooted in defensive intensity and max effort, is very dangerous with the kind of talent UConn will have next season. Teams are going to wilt against the kind of athleticism and intensity they'll be facing when they play UConn. And then of course there's the obvious advantage of being able to sustain injuries and such if they occur.

Reaction Score
Here's a question in a similar vein--equally pointless but fun to speculate about.

Let's say we get Diamond but no one else in the top 10 from class of 2013. A very plausible scenario--and certainly not wildly optimistic. How would UConn two years* from now stand up to an all-star team selected from the rest of WCBB. The teams might look something like this:

UConn--MJ, Bria, KML, Breanna, Stokes with Diamond off the bench.
Rest of WCBB--Sims, Jewell Loyd, Kaela Davis, Chiney, Liz Williams with Mercedes Russell off the bench

Now everyone will have their own view about who to put on the rest of WCBB team (though I assume we'd all agree on Sims and Chiney) and it's wildly speculative since some of these girls are juniors in high school. But, no matter who you put on the opposition, I'd put my money on the Huskies and take my chances.

*I picked two years from now (a) because I think the 13-14 team will be even better than next years, but more importantly (b) because it takes Griner (and Diggins) out of the mix.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
UConn can completely whiff on the 2013 class and still be prohibitive favorites in 2013-14. Starting lineup would possibly be:

PG- Moriah Jefferson
2G- Bria Hartley
W- KML
PF- Breanna Stewart
C- Stef Dolson

Bench:

Brianna Banks
Kiah Stokes
Morgan Tuck
Lauren Engeln
Michala Johnson

Depth wouldn't be as great as next year with the losses of Doty, Kelly, and Buck, but that would still be a ridiculously talented team. Every player on that starting five has first/second team AA potential.

However, 2014-15 would suck without solid or better 2013 and 2014 classes. In 2014, four girls are set to graduate.

DeShields and Taya Reimer are players with size and athleticism to play multiple positions on the floor. You bring in girls like that, you can have a team on the floor with at least four kids over six feet tall with guard skills. I really, really hope we get one or both of those girls.

Reaction Score
However, 2014-15 would suck without solid or better 2013 and 2014 classes. In 2014, four girls are set to graduate.

Alex, not sure I can apply the word "suck" to the following team:
PG--MJ
2G--KML
W--Morgan
PF--Breanna
C--Kiah
Bench--Brianna, plus whatever lower-rated prospects they might pick up in a not so solid class of 2013, class of 2014
With all due respect, I'm pretty sure that team would be favored to win the national championship.

BTW--do you agree with me that UConn two years from now (barring injuries, transfers) would more than hold its own against a rest of WCBB all-star team?

Reaction Score
Two years ahead, if we knock off Baylor this year they will surely not win it the next year either with Stewrat coming on. Imagine that, Baylor four years with BG and no NCs.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
PG--MJ
2G--KML
W--Morgan
PF--Breanna
C--Kiah
Bench--Brianna, plus whatever lower-rated prospects they might pick up in a not so solid class of 2013, class of 2014
With all due respect, I'm pretty sure that team would be favored to win the national championship.

BTW--do you agree with me that UConn two years from now (barring injuries, transfers) would more than hold its own against a rest of WCBB all-star team?
That would be an NC-caliber starting five, but I can't imagine how grueling it would be with that few personnel. You need someone to play those 200 minutes every game, and you'd end up with at best an exhausted squad headed into the business end of the season and at worst an injury away from catastrophe.

For the record, Uconn is not going to whiff on two straight classes. Worst case scenario, you could always take a JUCO or two to add some depth if you had to. But Geno and CD are closers who will be able to pick up some very talented young players in the next couple of classes.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
PG--MJ
2G--KML
W--Morgan
PF--Breanna
C--Kiah

And yes, I think that 2013-2014 starting five, if they live up to their potential, will be able to hang with a WCBB all-star team. You're talking about a group of kids who could exceed the 2002 feat of having an entire starting five on some AA team. Stef could easily be the best 5 in country that year, Bria could easily be first or second team AA, and KML, Breanna, and MJ are cream of the crop recruits with game changing potential.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
As long as Geno is coaching the UConn team vs the All-Stars, I like UConn's chances.

Reaction Score
how would GA come up with a lineup for next season, its so many mix and matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member