Not to be that guy | The Boneyard

Not to be that guy

Reaction Score
But I need to ask where josh fits at this level. I know everyone lauds his good production against baad teams but cmon. I’m blue through and through and I want him to be great but .... am I missing something? No verticality strength outside game or quickness. Very timid. Kofi can you hear me?!??

Reaction Score
Bottom line...Josh Carlton is a four year player, and it was going to take some time for him to find his way. He has improved from last year and thats obvious. You just hope that he can continue this progression over the next two years.

Reaction Score
I’m not ready to give up on Josh yet... he’s still young. But it’s very clear that we need to bolster the front court for next season. It seems like we’ve put all of our eggs in the cockburn basket, so we need to get him. If we lose him and Wahab goes elsewhere, we’ll be in some trouble.

Reaction Score
Start Cobb.

You know besides the 2 fouls though Carlton wasn't bad early on. But I agree go with the rebounder and strong finisher to start see where he is.

Reaction Score
He's an upgrade from Phil Nolan and will be a better Senior when he gets there. I like Carlton, but its up to him if he wants to put in work.

Reaction Score
As long as we aren’t avoiding recruiting over him I’m good. Again, I want him to be great for himself and his family and us fans, but...... some guys don’t have that competitive spirit and motor. Both Polley and Whaley, comparable recruits in the same class show some fire

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Carlton is big enough and long enough to rebound, it's technique that can be taught. He's still a kid, doesn't play well against men just yet

He will improve, and he's going to be a solid upperclassman

Reaction Score
Carlton is big enough and long enough to rebound, it's technique that can be taught. He's still a kid, doesn't play well against men just yet

He will improve, and he's going to be a solid upperclassman

Agreed.

I think we are going to see a lot of improvement from him, and the entire team, as the season goes on.

Reaction Score
I am just hoping Hurley knows how to develop bigs because that was Ollie’s biggest limitation when it came to his time at Uconn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I said this another thread but Carlton has a body that build muscle mass. HE's just got to put the work in. I think we have the cure...

1544368240621.png

[Note Sal's top button - just saying.]

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
OK, but he's still only playing 18 minutes with foul trouble :cool:

Can’t be worse then josh who’s Foul prone and Doesn’t even show up in big games.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Can’t be worse then josh who’s Foul prone and Doesn’t even show up in big games.

So? what difference does it make who starts? that's my point

They're both foul prone and neither plays a ton of minutes, that's the point I am making

Reaction Score
But I need to ask where josh fits at this level. I know everyone lauds his good production against baad teams but cmon. I’m blue through and through and I want him to be great but .... am I missing something? No verticality strength outside game or quickness. Very timid. Kofi can you hear me?!??
He is a 19 year old kid and still may grow an inch or two . He has excellent offensive moves and is progressing on defense. He will get much stronger as he matures. He will be one of our better bigs and the best in the AAC era before he is done.
Both him and Polly were finds .

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I said this is another thread but Josh needs to commit to either getting bigger or faster. Skinny but slow and no leaping ability isn’t getting the job done.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
So? what difference does it make who starts? that's my point

They're both foul prone and neither plays a ton of minutes, that's the point I am making

Cobb’s played better against strong opponents. IMO he deserves to start over josh regardless.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Bottom line...Josh Carlton is a four year player, and it was going to take some time for him to find his way. He has improved from last year and thats obvious. You just hope that he can continue this progression over the next two years.
He’s got to get a lot more physical on offense. He gets the ball against good bigs and acts like he’s a 6’4” post trying to slip one past a 7 footer. Gather, go strong, absorb the contact, and finish. You’re 6’10” with long arms, for cryin’ out loud. You don’t have to dunk everything to score, but you do have to keep sight of the hoop and maintain body control.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I thought Carlton came out playing very well for a 5 minute stretch- the best I've seen him play against high end competition... and this is probably the best team we've faced since Nova last season.
He does need to get stronger, and I still think he can be a valuable backup center for the next couple years. But, most importantly, he can be a huge factor against smaller/weaker teams, of which we play quite a few in both OOC and AAC.
I think Josh will continue to improve and he will get plenty of playing time the next couple years against weaker teams to give other guys a rest (hopefully the likes of Kofi Cockburn). But no, he's not ready to bang with the front court of an Elite 8 team, and probably never will be, which is fine.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score

Yep. That’s the reality on our whole team , they’re all four year players. All of them. A couple of them are reaches. And we’re competing against teams that have some 2-3 year players. We have to mix in some 2-3 year players into this group. Our high point is a twice injured McDonald’s all American. That’s the reality. It’ll take patience and coaching up.
It’ll work out.

Reaction Score
I thought Carlton came out playing very well for a 5 minute stretch- the best I've seen him play against high end competition... and this is probably the best team we've faced since Nova last season.
He does need to get stronger, and I still think he can be a valuable backup center for the next couple years. But, most importantly, he can be a huge factor against smaller/weaker teams, of which we play quite a few in both OOC and AAC.
I think Josh will continue to improve and he will get plenty of playing time the next couple years against weaker teams to give other guys a rest (hopefully the likes of Kofi Cockburn). But no, he's not ready to bang with the front court of an Elite 8 team, and probably never will be, which is fine.
That's the thing, while he can and should improve some he is still a backup if we want to go the places we want to go in the next couple of years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom