Not to be negative, but... Mikayla Coombs | The Boneyard

Not to be negative, but... Mikayla Coombs

Reaction Score
Has Coombs made a real shot all year? She has three baskets, but I'm guessing they have all been layups. She's so athletic, a good defender, and had some nice (though easy) assists tonight... but how is it possible that she hasn't made even one jump shot? Her form is horrible, but she must have made some in high school. It's not like she's a freshman. This is perplexing, and discouraging.... Thoughts?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Don’t really mind too much. She is very active on the defensive end and gets her hands on several rebounds. If she comes in and just does the things she does well, playing time will increase.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Perplexing is a very good word for it. The bad shot mechanics has been commented on by many others in different threads. For those that are suggesting that she can contribute with defensive intensity and quickness and slashing to the basket I disagree. The offense gets bogged down when she on the floor the spacing breaks down because she is reluctant to take the wing 3 or the 3 from the baseline corners. She did take 1 wing three tonight but 3 separate times she passed up a shot from the corner, put the ball on the floor right into the teeth of the SMU defense.

Reaction Score
Confounding! She was ranked overall #13 and #2 point guard in the 2017 Class. She must've been able to shoot. Even if not, which is unlikely, why haven't the coaches, like Shea, been able, after two years, to get her to do better than just jerk the ball at the basket. She has no form. How is this possible?!!!
I do lover her speed, quickness, ability to get to the basket. She seems to be a hard worker with a good attitude.
How can her shot be this bad at this point in her career?

Reaction Score
Surprised to have this thought, but suspect next year we will see Molly Bent be the primary substitute guard. Molly has been positive strides lately while Coombs has shown no improvement. I like Coombs energy and defense, but if others are close to her D and can shoot, Coomb's minutes in future likely to remain the same.

Reaction Score
Confounding! She was ranked overall #13 and #2 point guard in the 2017 Class. She must've been able to shoot. Even if not, which is unlikely, why haven't the coaches, like Shea, been able, after two years, to get her to do better than just jerk the ball at the basket. She has no form. How is this possible?!!!
I do lover her speed, quickness, ability to get to the basket. She seems to be a hard worker with a good attitude.
your last sentence says it all--the obvious answer is it wasn't. She had health issues last season with no PT or practice time. So she is getting back in form. Coombs isn't the only player that (may have)shot well with bad form, few of them in the NBA. Geno and staff see something in Coombs or she'd be sitting more than she is--sit back hold tight to your chair and enjoy the ride. I watch Moriah as a frosh Coombs seems a bit further on--and I hold Moriah up as the greats PG in Uc history--other argue that but that's my opinion--and this is an Opinion board isn't it??

Reaction Score
I liked those assists last night.

I don't think we need her to score, this year or next.

If somebody doesn't get floor time....I'd look at practices first....Geno says this constantly, work and trust.

My guess is Molly just outworked her, and is ahead on the learning curve.

Reaction Score
Surprised to have this thought, but suspect next year we will see Molly Bent be the primary substitute guard. Molly has been positive strides lately while Coombs has shown no improvement. I like Coombs energy and defense, but if others are close to her D and can shoot, Coomb's minutes in future likely to remain the same.
Did you see Geno after Molly made a few bonehead plays and he pulled her he was not laying into her but he was NOT happy with a Junior playing more poorly than a frosh )( with the lack of pt and practice last year Coombs is still a frosh)? Molly is an up and down Pg. Geno needs a sub that is up all the time she is in.. My guess Molly may not be first off the bench next game. How many time do you get stuffed under the board before you take the jumper a few ft out??

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
If you didn't intend to be negative, why did you start the thread. The way not to be negative, is just don't do it.
Said the kettle to the pot! He was asking others to help him understand why the poor kid can no longer score a point. I think it is a legitimate question. Coombs is a fine athlete, and should be a real asset to the team. she plays hard, but has become an offensive liability. I hope someone can figure it out and help her, and the team.

Reaction Score
However, speaking of shooting, is it my imagination or have the ladies forgotten how to shoot in general, particularly outside shots? Seriously, am a little concerned in that I'm guessing they won't go far in March shooting the way they have lately. And my enjoyment of the games is seriously diminished by the "clangs" as the ball bounces off the rim. Maybe they could just move the microphones further from the basket.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
However, speaking of shooting, is it my imagination or have the ladies forgotten how to shoot in general, particularly outside shots? Seriously, am a little concerned in that I'm guessing they won't go far in March shooting the way they have lately. And my enjoyment of the games is seriously diminished by the "clangs" as the ball bounces off the rim. Maybe they could just move the microphones further from the basket.
Definitely NOT your imagination. Multiple starters specifically KLS & CW have been struggling with shooting since the start of winter break. CW knocked down a few from deep last night so hopefully she gets going. KLS will shoot her way out soon. Napheesa was struggling and tweaked her shot to be more like her Sophomore year when she shot 68% . Napheesa is improved from the field lately but continues to struggle from the FT line. Kyla has not hit a shot in the last three games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Perplexing to be sure. Mikayla was not a great outside shooter in HS, but you can watch highlights of her games when she would knock down multiple 3’s as well as midrange jumpers, despite her unusual shooting stroke. Shooting mechanics are one issue, but the bigger issue imo is that she has lost all confidence in her ability to shoot the ball.

If she continues to play tough defense, set up her teammates and finish at the rim, Mikayla will earn PT, but her shooting woes will certainly restrict the amount of time she gets.

I do believe there could be an opportunity for Mikayla against Durr at Louisville, when Geno may want to put his best man defender on Durr as a changeup.

Reaction Score
I've been told by a former player that Combs actually shoots the ball very well in practice; makes more than she misses. Shooting-wise, I don't think she is any different that the other reserves - in games, they hesitate to shoot & look to pass. While Molly has been more active shooting recently, she passed on a number of shot opportunities last night. I thought that Combs was at least looking to shoot a little last night.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I liked those assists last night.

I don't think we need her to score, this year or next.

If somebody doesn't get floor time....I'd look at practices first....Geno says this constantly, work and trust.
My guess is Molly just outworked her, and is ahead on the learning curve.
I disagree. Not only does she need to score she needs to take and make a reasonable amount of 3 pt shots from the wing and the corner. Failure to do so is going to strangle the UCONN offense. When Mikayla get the ball in those spots on the floor she is making the Defense's job way too easy. How easy? In those positions Mikayla can shoot, pass, or dribble the ball. Most times she chooses to dribble, which is the easiest action to defend.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've been told by a former player that Combs actually shoots the ball very well in practice; makes more than she misses. Shooting-wise, I don't think she is any different that the other reserves - in games, they hesitate to shoot & look to pass. While Molly has been more active shooting recently, she passed on a number of shot opportunities last night. I thought that Combs was at least looking to shoot a little last night.
On the most recent Geno show Geno made the comment about a players that hit like 30 three in practice then goes into the game and freezes up. He was either speaking of Mikayla or Molly. Molly is closer to putting it together but she is also a year ahead of Mikayla in this offense.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Not only does she need to score she needs to take and make a reasonable amount of 3 pt shots from the wing and the corner. Failure to do so is going to strangle the UCONN offense. When Mikayla get the ball in those spots on the floor she is making the Defense's job way too easy. How easy? In those positions Mikayla can shoot, pass, or dribble the ball. Most times she chooses to dribble, which is the easiest action to defend.
Need is relative——score yeah, but how much — What ya want to see ? 6 points in 6 minutes ?

Crystal, Williams, Walker and ONO will have to carry the load next year. If you get 4-8 out of Mikayla in 20-30 mins but her assists and TO/TA is okay then she’s fine.

You’re spot on about the dribble choice —— but it’s an indicator that she doesn’t get the offense yet —— and that limits her floor time. —— drive and dish is okay, but she doesn’t know where and when to dish to, there’s no purpose to it yet.

If she’s working hard enough the rest will follow——maturity only needs time

and It’ll come in time —— it’s a lot — sophisticated offenses, quality of the defenses, just the speed factor alone

I’ll wait and be happy waiting.

Interesting year....and next year is gonna get even more interesting.

Way too high on the expectations for the bench around here IMO

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Did Faris hinder the UConn offense her first three years? She played good defense but was a liability on offense. Coombs is a sophomore who missed much of her freshman season. Man, give her some slack. If she has not shown improvement by the end of next season, then maybe there would be cause for concern. Some posters were saying that Molly would never improve as much as she has. Now some of those same posters are singing her praises. Give some of these players time to develop. They won't all develop at the same pace or at the pace some of you think they should.

Reaction Score
Did Faris hinder the UConn offense her first three years? She played good defense but was a liability on offense. Coombs is a sophomore who missed much of her freshman season. Man, give her some slack. If she has not shown improvement by the end of next season, then maybe there would be cause for concern. Some posters were saying that Molly would never improve as much as she has. Now some of those same posters are singing her praises. Give some of these players time to develop. They won't all develop at the same pace or at the pace some of you think they should.
Faris also played on teams with Maya and Stewie. We no longer have players of that caliber on the team, and won't for the foreseeable future. Everyone must chip in on offense and defense.

Reaction Score
Has Coombs made a real shot all year? She has three baskets, but I'm guessing they have all been layups. She's so athletic, a good defender, and had some nice (though easy) assists tonight... but how is it possible that she hasn't made even one jump shot? Her form is horrible, but she must have made some in high school. It's not like she's a freshman. This is perplexing, and discouraging.... Thoughts?

if you look at her high school video she has a pretty nice jump shot from within 15 feet................I don't remember her ever taking that shot this season.....................also it is a bit difficult to gain any confidence and consistency in your shot when you only take one or two a game...................the real evidence as to her shooting acumen would be found on the practice court....................does she make shots there?

Reaction Score
Faris also played on teams with Maya and Stewie. We no longer have players of that caliber on the team, and won't for the foreseeable future. Everyone must chip in on offense and defense.
We no longer have.....caliber....yadda yadda

I chalk that view up to lack of faith in the coaching staff.....not a good way to live IMO

So what.....I'm in the go as hard as you can for as long as you can with what you got camp.

There are some things that go on around here that I really scratch my head over.

Stat sheets over eyeballs, refusal to adjust expectations, the views that entitlement attitudes spawn, the Lou worship because she(and the team) NEEDS her UNCONTESTED shots to fill up the stat sheet, bench obsession..... geeezus

This team was just as much fun to watch 96-99 as it was when Stewie was racking up 4.

This team needs
  • aggressive defense with no letdown
  • Crystal to take charge of the offense if not the team on the floor
and everybody goes hard ---- do that and everything else will fall into place

that's enough for a Final 4 ticket IMO because when you come right down to it there's only a few teams that can beat them and some of them will knock each other off in the 8 round

The big problem, and i really do think this happened....is Baylor broke them for a while. Coach is fixing it now. The press last night was a start. The addition of Megans play, and now Crystal leading, makes them different.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Not to be too critical?! :rolleyes::eek::oops::(:confused:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
We no longer have.....caliber....yadda yadda

I chalk that view up to lack of faith in the coaching staff.....not a good way to live IMO

So what.....I'm in the go as hard as you can for as long as you can with what you got camp.

There are some things that go on around here that I really scratch my head over.

Stat sheets over eyeballs, refusal to adjust expectations, the views that entitlement attitudes spawn, the Lou worship because she(and the team) NEEDS her UNCONTESTED shots to fill up the stat sheet, bench obsession..... geeezus

This team was just as much fun to watch 96-99 as it was when Stewie was racking up 4.

This team needs
  • aggressive defense with no letdown
  • Crystal to take charge of the offense if not the team on the floor
and everybody goes hard ---- do that and everything else will fall into place

that's enough for a Final 4 ticket IMO because when you come right down to it there's only a few teams that can beat them and some of them will knock each other off in the 8 round

The big problem, and i really do think this happened....is Baylor broke them for a while. Coach is fixing it now. The press last night was a start. The addition of Megans play, and now Crystal leading, makes them different.
I do not disagree with most of what you say. But what exactly is an entitlement attitude? This is perhaps the third time you have used that phraseology. Becoming a buzzword ,and I don't understand it in this context. :confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom