Not to be negative, but... Mikayla Coombs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Not to be negative, but... Mikayla Coombs

Reaction Score
Perplexing to be sure. Mikayla was not a great outside shooter in HS, but you can watch highlights of her games when she would knock down multiple 3’s as well as midrange jumpers, despite her unusual shooting stroke. Shooting mechanics are one issue, but the bigger issue imo is that she has lost all confidence in her ability to shoot the ball.

If she continues to play tough defense, set up her teammates and finish at the rim, Mikayla will earn PT, but her shooting woes will certainly restrict the amount of time she gets.

I do believe there could be an opportunity for Mikayla against Durr at Louisville, when Geno may want to put his best man defender on Durr as a changeup.
One reason may be that so many coaches have tried to change her mechanics and it's only messed her up. Despite her poor mechanics, she may have still managed to put the ball in the basket but since she's received all this "help" from coaches, her confidence has melted and she's caught between what her mechanics were and what they have transitioned to.

Reaction Score
and here I thought the sign of a good teacher is to help the student who struggles to become more successful.
I'm POSITIVE (from the couple of times I've had opportunity to actually talk with past players), that Geno was saying "I'd rather not talk to YOU (the press) about Mikayla and have YOU (the press and the Boneyard) mess things up even more"
If you remember, Geno has said something to the effect that Mikalya is the most skilled least confident player he's coached. The absolute last thing he needs and Mikayla needs is for "outsiders" to "help".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
and here I thought the sign of a good teacher is to help the student who struggles to become more successful.
Yea, you're off base here. You have to understand what Geno's saying.

She's been taught. She knows what she needs to do. She just needs to do it. She's in her own head (and she said as much). And talking to you guys (the press) about it ain't gonna help any.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc
Top Bottom