not that surprising | The Boneyard

not that surprising

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
from what I'm reading, it sounds like Diaco is staying for now. I do believe the $5M or even $3.5M price tag is too great and the thought of starting over from scratch is not an option.

I do think some extra $'s thrown to a solid OC might be a smart play. especially if that OC has authority to run the offense autonomously without interference from BD. That does leave Diaco to spend a greater amount of his time on defense which is his specialty.

so if Uconn were to bring in someone like Weist in this scenario would people be that upset? Ideally, the program turns around and its a very easy transition as you promote Weist at the end of Diaco's tenure. I think it's obvious that Diaco's future at Uconn is limited, and they are now going to use this time to get the right HC and build some continuity. You can't have 3 failed coaches in a row over 9 years.

Could Uconn lure Weist back (or someone of that caliber), with a bump in pay and a nod/wink about being the next HC assuming some agreed upon hurdles are met?

It's not at sexy as axing Diaco and getting Kelly or Strong. But it seems like a possible step in the right direction.

Reaction Score
that is the problem..they are so afraid of dumping Diaco because his recruits are just starting to filter in to the starting lineup for next year and they feel he should be here to actually coach HIS players. I don't think this will work as he has not shown that he can coach up players. some of his recruits are already in the stream and for the most part have shown little ie Bloom,Johnson, Beals,McClean. the old saw that the coach should get at least 4 years to make or break him stands out strong in what is taking place.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Unless we get a good JUCO QB the program is going to be absolutely dreadful for the next two seasons minimum.

You can have an offensive whiz calling the plays but a horrible offensive line and a QB that isn't a FBS player won't change much.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think an offensive coordinator would be a step in the right direction and is the most we can hope for this off season with maybe a few others being replaced. I would like to see another offensive line coach because the line has been underachieving, to say the least. I would like to see the defense change some as well with more attacking style or at least mix it up some.

Reaction Score
Unless we get a good JUCO QB the program is going to be absolutely dreadful for the next two seasons minimum.

You can have an offensive whiz calling the plays but a horrible offensive line and a QB that isn't a FBS player won't change much.
Is it possible that a more effective OC could help the OL.

Reaction Score
Is it possible that a more effective OC could help the OL.
yes! we have coaches trying to establish a power run game with an OL that is not suited to run a power run game. The OL did a decent job when moving the pockets, quick hits, which opend up the D a little bit to set up the run. BD seemed so insistent on using the run to set up the pass, when he had an OL that was more suited to have the quick passing game set up the running game. is our OL a strength? NO. Could it be serviceable with the right game plan? YES. Diaco learned nothing from watching his own game tape.

Reaction Score
yes! we have coaches trying to establish a power run game with an OL that is not suited to run a power run game. The OL did a decent job when moving the pockets, quick hits, which opend up the D a little bit to set up the run. BD seemed so insistent on using the run to set up the pass, when he had an OL that was more suited to have the quick passing game set up the running game. is our OL a strength? NO. Could it be serviceable with the right game plan? YES. Diaco learned nothing from watching his own game tape.

This. The fan base thinks the players are worse than they are at this point. They are overall a bit slow, but it is nearly impossible to play totally predictable football and win without the very best players. We try to overpower more powerful teams and use no creativity in the process. The team that lost to Navy and Cuse by coaching incompetence had adequate talent to win 7-8 games with a decent coach.

Reaction Score
We beat out Fordham and James Madison for Donovan Williams. That's it. And somehow, he's the starting QB as a true freshman in high mid-major conference.

That's psychological abuse. As well as abusing the money of the fans, too. It's amazing he expresses no shame.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Is the new OC going to fix the roster and address the HC problem?

In general I would say no...but...I was reading up on Willie Taggart's turnaround, and it appears that his changing coordinators is being credited for the turnaround. If you remember, his start there was very poor.

"On December 7, 2012, Taggart took over as head coach at the University of South Florida in his native Tampa Bay area.[5] In his first season, Taggart led the Bulls to a disappointing 2 - 10 season. For the 2014 season, Taggart was able to double the amount of wins and finish with a record of 4 - 8. During the off-season, Taggart made several personnel changes, including replacing the Offensive and Defensive Coordinators. The change of schemes as well as the development of his first 2 recruiting classes provided the team with much needed energy and depth of positions".

Willie Taggart - Wikipedia

So...doubtful a coordinator change can help...but...it has happened. Of course, Taggart had much better players to work with...

Reaction Score
In general I would say no...but...I was reading up on Willie Taggart's turnaround, and it appears that his changing coordinators is being credited for the turnaround. If you remember, his start there was very poor.

"On December 7, 2012, Taggart took over as head coach at the University of South Florida in his native Tampa Bay area.[5] In his first season, Taggart led the Bulls to a disappointing 2 - 10 season. For the 2014 season, Taggart was able to double the amount of wins and finish with a record of 4 - 8. During the off-season, Taggart made several personnel changes, including replacing the Offensive and Defensive Coordinators. The change of schemes as well as the development of his first 2 recruiting classes provided the team with much needed energy and depth of positions".

So...doubtful a coordinator change can help...but...it has happened. Of course, Taggart had much better players to work with...

Your last sentence is key.

Reaction Score
The team that lost to Navy and Cuse by coaching incompetence had adequate talent to win 7-8 games with a decent coach.
Couldn't agree more. These kids were robbed of a bowl game by a coaching staff's inept offensive, defensive, and special teams philosophy. You don't need All Americans to win games. What would help is a coaching staff that valued the return of a punt, understood down, distance, time remaining and time outs available-- and the excruciatingly elementary wisdom to kick a slam dunk field goal on 4th and 18 with the score 7-0.

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. These kids were robbed of a bowl game by a coaching staff's inept offensive, defensive, and special teams philosophy. You don't need All Americans to win games. What would help is a coaching staff that valued the return of a punt, understood down, distance, time remaining and time outs available-- and the excruciatingly elementary wisdom to kick a slam dunk field goal on 4th and 18 with the score 7-0.
This alone would have made a difference in games. @Nostical I still am blown away by Diaco's refusal to return punts..even after his complete bull**t theory that he gave during pre-season. Even more disturbing is this..if you are gonna fair catch every single punt...then go after it and try to block it every time.

Reaction Score
We beat out Fordham and James Madison for Donovan Williams. That's it.
Don't forget the Everett vs Xaverian game this Saturday. Our incoming QB Jordan McAfee leads the Everett Crimson Tide. (p.s.Fordham and James Madison weren't in the running for him.)

Jordan McAfee
6-4, 213 | 40: 5.07 | Class of 2017
SCHOOL OFFER
Connecticut Committed ✔️
Boston College ✔️
Massachusetts ✔️
Syracuse ✔️
Temple ✔️

Last Updated: Oct 05, 2016

Sent from my iPhone

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If Shireffs is gone as we expect, bringing in a JUCO QB would be a good idea for depth, and to see if he can beat out Williams. But the biggest issue is the OL and running game. If that OL can't keep the QB upright and can't generate any push, they can bring in Aaron Rogers and we still won't win.

So I'd like to see an OC that is a strong OL coach. I'm fine with smash mouth football if we can execute it. I suggested that OL coach at Penn State, because he was the OC at Minnesota and at several smaller schools and had success.

Reaction Score
If Shireffs is gone as we expect, bringing in a JUCO QB would be a good idea for depth, and to see if he can beat out Williams. But the biggest issue is the OL and running game. If that OL can't keep the QB upright and can't generate any push, they can bring in Aaron Rogers and we still won't win.

So I'd like to see an OC that is a strong OL coach. I'm fine with smash mouth football if we can execute it. I suggested that OL coach at Penn State, because he was the OC at Minnesota and at several smaller schools and had success.
How about this...a OC that is a strong QB coach and fire Mike Cummings & Wayne Lineburg who haven't earned the right to stay anyway! Then bring in a strong OL coach to deal with the line. As far as OL coach's go (just coaching the OL nothing to do with being a OC) Verducci is much more accomplished than Limegrover is.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Why would Diaco go anywhere? This guy will not give back "one single dime" and he won't make the hall of fame.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How about this...a OC that is a strong QB coach and fire Mike Cummings & Wayne Lineburg who haven't earned the right to stay anyway! Then bring in a strong OL coach to deal with the line. As far as OL coach's go (just coaching the OL nothing to do with being a OC) Verducci is much more accomplished than Limegrover is.

Fine. Put Verducci in charge of the OL then. But I don't think a spread based OC is what we really need. QB development we could certainly use in heavy doses.

Reaction Score
We beat out Fordham and James Madison for Donovan Williams. That's it. And somehow, he's the starting QB as a true freshman in high mid-major conference.

That's psychological abuse. As well as abusing the money of the fans, too. It's amazing he expresses no shame.
BS.... there are numerous examples to suggest the recruiting machine is not anywhere near perfect.
Not suggesting Williams will or will not be decent. But using recruiting as the definitive measure for his success is simply wrong.

Reaction Score

is it Taggart or the OC that get's the credit? Maybe uconn could get USF's OC? What's his name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom