Not Losing Sleep | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Not Losing Sleep

Reaction Score
My expectations are only for these eight guys for the next 3-4 weeks.
Next year, a healthy Husky squad has much higher expectations.
Not so sure. We do this every year saying just wait, the sun will be bright tomorrow. Hurley needs to do some major work before we can say this IMO. Vital bye bye is a bunch of scoring to lose and rebounding BTW.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not so sure. We do this every year saying just wait, the sun will be bright tomorrow. Hurley needs to do some major work before we can say this IMO. Vital bye bye is a bunch of scoring to lose and rebounding BTW.

My timeframe was in reference to someone saying we as a fan base have lowered expectations of the program.
I have full expectations for a deep tourney run next season.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I get it. The team went to 2 OT on the road in conference while very short handed. So why worry?

Still, 3 losses in 2OT this year, and this one we threw away. I worry about the kids going through this. I worry that Adams was awful all game. I worry that Josh got two fouls instantly when he knows we have no depth up front. It cost us the game. I worry that our best player looked like he’d rather be playing video games half the time.

Yes, as a team they fought hard to the end. But individually they were not all giving 100% all game. So I am concerned that they may be dispirited by our continued horrific luck.

The past 3 years this team would have folded over in many of these tough luck games and lost by 15. This group is fighting through, something we have seen time and time again this season (Wichita, SMU, Memphis, Temple, etc.).

After getting blown out in our first 2 conference games, yours was a valid concern. But if you’ve watched any of the games since then (I don’t think we’ve lost by more than 7?) then hopefully you will have seen a different team than the ones in the past.

I think the effort is there and the mindset is there. Once we are healthy and restocked, the wins will be there too!

I’ve really enjoyed watching this teams heart and development the past 2 months, win or lose. They are going in the right direction!

Reaction Score
I get it. The team went to 2 OT on the road in conference while very short handed. So why worry?

Still, 3 losses in 2OT this year, and this one we threw away. I worry about the kids going through this. I worry that Adams was awful all game. I worry that Josh got two fouls instantly when he knows we have no depth up front. It cost us the game. I worry that our best player looked like he’d rather be playing video games half the time.

Yes, as a team they fought hard to the end. But individually they were not all giving 100% all game. So I am concerned that they may be dispirited by our continued horrific luck.
I don't think so. Sometimes we forget that they are human too and are not professionals. They are college kids trying to do their best for a game they love. The will have slip ups and brain farts at times. The difference now is depth. If Akok and Polley were playing, then players who begin to lose focus or not performing on the court will be yanked and in comes another player. Unfortunately that luxury has been lost.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The past 3 years this team would have folded over in many of these tough luck games and lost by 15. This group is fighting through, something we have seen time and time again this season (Wichita, SMU, Memphis, Temple, etc.).

After getting blown out in our first 2 conference games, yours was a valid concern. But if you’ve watched any of the games since then (I don’t think we’ve lost by more than 7?) then hopefully you will have seen a different team than the ones in the past.

I think the effort is there and the mindset is there. Once we are healthy and restocked, the wins will be there too!

I’ve really enjoyed watching this teams heart and development the past 2 months, win or lose. They are going in the right direction!

Yes, I love that we don't fold like a cheap deck chair anymore. It's great to be in every game to the end. No doubt. And credit to the guys and coach for that.

But what I saw yesterday wasn't maximum effort. I saw way too much of those habits from before (from almost everyone but Whaley). Lazy defense, not crashing the boards, not paying attention to the game situation. Yes, they stayed close and lost in 2 OT, to a team they were up by 12 against (for very good reason). Temple is a vastly less talented team than even the shorthanded version of UConn that showed up yesterday.

I guess what I am saying is, some of our close losses were games where we competed out butts off and didn't pull it out. Some, including yesterday, were games where the other team competed their butts off against a UConn team that wasn't really doing all they could, and which should have been able to win without it being close.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

What's more dispiriting getting blown out repeatedly or losing in double overtime? We are in these games and competing, notwithstanding losing two starters to injury and relying on freshmen to carry a lot of the load. I'd love to have won, but the future seems bright. Getting Polley back and adding Cole and Jackson we are going to be stronger. Springs and Brown-Ferguson are going to give us front court depth. We're are climbing our way back and I'm enjoying the progress.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Just saying no need to overanalyze this. A few bounces here or there and it's a win. Or a loss in regulation.
As for tomorrow, planning on waking up. Planning on clocking a few hours. Planning on teeing off around 2pm.
This is a fun if frustrating at times bunch to root for. They are now only missing their best outside shooter and one of the best shot blockers in the country and are a team that is giving everyone a game. These guys leave it on the floor, regardless of mistakes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What's more dispiriting getting blown out repeatedly or losing in double overtime? We are in these games and competing, notwithstanding losing two starters to injury and relying on freshmen to carry a lot of the load. I'd love to have won, but the future seems bright. Getting Polley back and adding Cole and Jackson we are going to be stronger. Springs and Brown-Ferguson are going to give us front court depth. We're are climbing our way back and I'm enjoying the progress.

I'm not arguing that. The team has made huge strides and an aggregate multiple steps forward. Losing in 2OT to Xavier was a step forward. Losing yesterday was a step back. That's all I'm saying. I saw old habits return, I saw an awful defensive effort and I saw the kind of carelessness with the ball that we had reduced in several preceding games. It wasn't anything to celebrate.

I suspect that the staff saw that and will fix it for Sunday, and we can blow the doors off of USF. The future is indeed bright. This was a speed bump game.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Yes, I love that we don't fold like a cheap deck chair anymore. It's great to be in every game to the end. No doubt. And credit to the guys and coach for that.

But what I saw yesterday wasn't maximum effort. I saw way too much of those habits from before (from almost everyone but Whaley). Lazy defense, not crashing the boards, not paying attention to the game situation. Yes, they stayed close and lost in 2 OT, to a team they were up by 12 against (for very good reason). Temple is a vastly less talented team than even the shorthanded version of UConn that showed up yesterday.

I guess what I am saying is, some of our close losses were games where we competed out butts off and didn't pull it out. Some, including yesterday, were games where the other team competed their butts off against a UConn team that wasn't really doing all they could, and which should have been able to win without it being close.

Our guards did get roasted on D a lot yesterday and there were some untimely second chance rebounds we gave up for sure.

Hurley clearly had a quick hook yesterday for Bouk and Josh when they weren’t playing 100%, which hopefully will continue to send the message that PT = effort. I think we are going to be just fine in the hustle department come November 2020, especially when we have a deep bench to go to in order to send a message. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

Reaction Score
My expectation are NCAA or bust. Win the last 5 and run the table in FW.
Bouk looks at too many 50 50 balls and this is not a winner. Bouk you have the tallent to get to any ball you want. The team needs it NOW.You can do better.
You have to play Sunday like your life depends on it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not arguing that. The team has made huge strides and an aggregate multiple steps forward. Losing in 2OT to Xavier was a step forward. Losing yesterday was a step back. That's all I'm saying. I saw old habits return, I saw an awful defensive effort and I saw the kind of carelessness with the ball that we had reduced in several preceding games. It wasn't anything to celebrate.

I suspect that the staff saw that and will fix it for Sunday, and we can blow the doors off of USF. The future is indeed bright. This was a speed bump game.
Agreed. Temple was lost between the ears by a lot of lackadaisical play. Not getting back on D, losing men, not boxing out, bad passes....One guy was playing all out - Whaley. Bouk was checked out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom