Not Kentucky? | The Boneyard

Not Kentucky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Pretty much most "experts" sticking to the favorite UK to win it all. Only Len Elmore/Battier don't have UK in the final four.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-final-four-national-champion-ncaa-tournament

So, I really want Calipari's Cats to lose like most here. I might even root for K's Blue Devils to knock them (if they meet).

Coach Calhoun mentioned something about an experienced team with quick guards and a very solid front court, could do that. Since UConn won't be able to block UK this year, which team can do that?

Reaction Score
ok, academic exercise here - could we have done it this year? Assuming we're clicking on all cylinders for that game?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Hoping Cincy does. Ellis needs to land a few punches.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think they will overlook everyone until the Elite 8. Leaves some opportunity for an upset. Plus Manhattan almost beat Louisville last year and is returning everyone but 2 players, and Cincy will deliver a punch no doubt. Purdue also has two 7 footers. Should be interesting.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have Gonzaga beating them in the final. Happy if they go down at any point before then, but I don't see it, unfortunately.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Can't see anyone beating them, but if you're doing a pool and want to win, the best bet is picking someone else.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
All along, I have been thinking that Wisconsin would be the team to knock of Kentucky. Unfortunately, I think that Wisconsin got a bad matchup and will not get through Arizona in the E8. Other than Wisconsin, the only team I see having a realistic chance of knocking off UK is Duke--and that isn't really all that much better unfortunately!:eek:

Reaction Score
Iowa State...I think if all of their cylinders are firing, that they can light them up.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If I were interested in this year's tourney, I might take Cincinnati to beat UK. I think they can bang inside and defend the perimeter. If they can score, then might have a shot.

The next team would be Wisconsin. I don't have a lot of faith in Maryland.

pj

Reaction Score
I like Wisconsin and Arizona as potential Kentucky beaters. I wish they weren't facing each other first.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I have Wisconsin beating Kentucky in the FF and then beating SMU in the Final

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If I were interested in this year's tourney, I might take Cincinnati to beat UK. I think they can bang inside and defend the perimeter. If they can score, then might have a shot.

The next team would be Wisconsin. I don't have a lot of faith in Maryland.

I really thought hard about this Cincy could really make it a rockfight which might throw Kentucky off it's game. I'm not sure Cincy could beat Purdue though.

Reaction Score
Kentucky has played 11 Top 50 RPI teams. That's it...and only 4 since 1/1. (Context, we played 10 in that time.)

The SEC is garbage.

They are still the best team this year. But Arizona, Duke, Gonzaga, and Wisconsin can beat them.

And this Kentucky team was down at half to Buffalo. They can lose.

Reaction Score
I have Gonzaga beating them in the final. Happy if they go down at any point before then, but I don't see it, unfortunately.
Kevin Ollie in his last coaches show with Joe D. said Gonzaga could be the team to beat them because of their size in the front court and the PG. I just think Iowa State could be a pretty bad match-up for Gonzaga if the Cyclones beat SMU/UCLA.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I think Cincy can hang tough with Kentucky, but beat them? No way.

That's bound to be a low scoring game and would be interesting to see what kind of scare UK gets from playing Cincy's physical style. Cincy would need to shoot extremely well from outside, and would help if they had someone like Boat to penetrate.

Reaction Score
That's bound to be a low scoring game and would be interesting to see what kind of scare UK gets from playing Cincy's physical style. Cincy would need to shoot extremely well from outside, and would help if they had someone like Boat to penetrate.
You mean what kind of game it is when half of Cincy's bigs are on the bench with 2 fouls 5 minutes into the game?

Reaction Score
If the choice is between these two, I'll take Duke.

Not me. I'd much rather have Kentucky win. I think of Kentucky as a freak show in college basketball - everyone knows they're recruiting on a different plane than any other school. The amount of size and talent they have on that team is absurd. They'll be ridiculous like this for the next couple seasons while Cal is there and then they'll be back to normal. Duke, though, is just a good college basketball team, and they'll be lauded as giant killers and the miracle squad if they knock off an undefeated Kentucky. It would be infinitely more nauseating than any Kentucky-related praise. No thanks.

Reaction Score
Not me. I'd much rather have Kentucky win. I think of Kentucky as a freak show in college basketball - everyone knows they're recruiting on a different plane than any other school. The amount of size and talent they have on that team is absurd. They'll be ridiculous like this for the next couple seasons while Cal is there and then they'll be back to normal. Duke, though, is just a good college basketball team, and they'll be lauded as giant killers and the miracle squad if they knock off an undefeated Kentucky. It would be infinitely more nauseating than any Kentucky-related praise. No thanks.
Fair point. I hadn't thought of it like that. But I don't want Cal to get another title. One is one too many. K is already deified. A fifth title would suck, but it wouldn't change much.

Historically, it's not like Duke hasn't already done this...

Reaction Score
Yeah it really is a difficult dilemma picking between Duke or Kentucky, so I guess we can all just hope one of the other ones somehow does it. I have barely looked at a bracket so far, I'll fill mine out tomorrow, but it would be so amazing if Kentucky lost in the 2nd round.

Big Ern you make a good point, but I really just couldn't stand their fanbase getting this undefeated season. When their fans lampoon us and this season we had, its fine to go "well what happened last year", so the fact that Kentucky winning would mean an undefeated season to me means I'd rather see the rat faced coach cut down the nets than the slimy squid

Reaction Score
ok, academic exercise here - could we have done it this year? Assuming we're clicking on all cylinders for that game?
hmmmmm considering we got outrebound by 10+ to the likes of tulsa and SMU who dont have half the length or size Kentucky has. I dont think we would be able to on our best day and their worst

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Iowa State...I think if all of their cylinders are firing, that they can light them up.

I have ISU in the FF. I think Hoiberg is up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom