Not just one ref, from the beginning all of them | The Boneyard

Not just one ref, from the beginning all of them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You saw it with Ville getting ticky tack calls, and Uconn's guards getting nothing. Smith in on Olander? Foul. Boatright and Napier hit? Nothing.

The refs didn't blow the whistle on the guy landing on Giffey because they weren't blowing their whistles on Louisville at all. They were predetermined to not call fouls on Louisville.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Sure looked that way.

Reaction Score
I never heard of her before, but this Ana Ivanovic is hot.

Reaction Score
It is the Pitino strategy. Find out how the referees will call the game very early on, and play accordingly. It goes something like this:

1) Offensively, take it to the rim. Depending on how the referees want to call it, you will either get fouled or get easy hoops. You saw it tonight. LV was clearly the more aggressive team going to the hoop at the start of the game.
2) Defensively, defend to the point of fouling, and see what the officials call. More often than not, officials will allow contact (new rules go out the window). This plays well into LV's defensive strength.
3) You continue doing 1) and 2) until the referees have no option but to play "your" game. LV's game, is to attack. Get the other team out of sync and off their game.

One problem with the UConn team and the guards in general, is that, they stop going to the rim if they drive and do not get a foul called. You can't do that, IMO. They must continue to go to the rim, no matter what. Eventually, the officials will start making the calls. Do not go off your game (quickness to the basket) because the officials are missing the fouls.

Bottom line, however, is LV played better. Their players came through with big plays and our players, specifically our bigs and DD, simply did not play well. Credit LV for that, officials had little to do with that.

It is a loss. Move on.

Reaction Score
It is the Pitino strategy. Find out how the referees will call the game very early on, and play accordingly. It goes something like this:

1) Offensively, take it to the rim. Depending on how the referees want to call it, you will either get fouled or get easy hoops. You saw it tonight. LV was clearly the more aggressive team going to the hoop at the start of the game.
2) Defensively, defend to the point of fouling, and see what the officials call. More often than not, officials will allow contact (new rules go out the window). This plays well into LV's defensive strength.
3) You continue doing 1) and 2) until the referees have no option but to play "your" game. LV's game, is to attack. Get the other team out of sync and off their game.

One problem with the UConn team and the guards in general, is that, they stop going to the rim if they drive and do not get a foul called. You can't do that, IMO. They must continue to go to the rim, no matter what. Eventually, the officials will start making the calls. Do not go off your game (quickness to the basket) because the officials are missing the fouls.

Bottom line, however, is LV played better. Their players came through with big plays and our players, specifically our bigs and DD, simply did not play well. Credit LV for that, officials had little to do with that.

It is a loss. Move on.

This is the exact opposite of what I am saying. I am saying that the refs are calling the game totally differently for the two teams. Look at Napier's drive at the very end. He was hit and no foul was called. Louisville was getting ticky-tack fouls called on the other end.

Reaction Score
This is the exact opposite of what I am saying. I am saying that the refs are calling the game totally differently for the two teams. Look at Napier's drive at the very end. He was hit and no foul was called. Louisville was getting ticky-tack fouls called on the other end.
I agree, but this is not intentional. The aggressor gets the benefit of the doubt and more often get away without being called for fouls. IOW, it just shows that LV was more aggressive. Pitino knows the officials are human and he reads them better than any other coach. He coaches his team accordingly.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I understand we couldn't rebound. I get it. But when you can't drive because you are constantly getting hacked and their not calling fouls is another thing. It pretty much forced us to settle for jump shots. I mean, watched Louisville drive time after time and drawing cheap fouls was over the top.

Physicality and toughness on the glass is one thing, but when you're getting shafted like that on calls you start to wonder.

Reaction Score
Palatine said:
The game was decided on the boards. Did you watch the game?

Did YOU watch the game? Yes, we got out rebounded but there had be at least a 15 pt (minimum) impact by the refs.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I didn't have much issue with the way the first half was called even though it probably helped villes style of play more than ours. Thought they pretty much let them play.

We got some quick whistles to start the second. The techs. And our guys picked up a few more cheap ones immediately after when you could tell they were trying to get their heads back in it. Ville was in the double bonus with over 10 minutes left. And the game was basically over.

Regardless of any calls on the court that ref lost control of the game with the ejection.

Louisville was the better team for the 26 minutes of the game that was played. It's too bad that Uconn didn't get a full 40 minutes to turn it around.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The game was decided on the boards.
No doubt what you say is true. But it is not unreasonable to consider the impact that losing DD to foul trouble for so long in the first half had on the boards and the game overall. Granted, the kid has been anything but a model of consistency, but he was coming off his best game by far, and he was going to be critical in this match-up because of the zone. We lost him literally, and then figuratively because he didn't do much when he returned. That part is on him. But the Ollie ejection sequence itself was a six-point swing at a critical time.

I don't think anyone is saying we would have won without getting jobbed. The problem some of us have is that we never got the chance to find out. There was still plenty of time left and we ultimately closed it to within six I think; we just didn't overcome a few extra obstacles, one of them being getting jobbed.

Reaction Score

No, fan complaining about refs didn't watch the game. Everyone else who noticed UConn getting the score down to 6 or 7 was dreaming it. That didn't happen--despite the huge swing after the tech.

UConn is a perimeter shooting team. Everyone knows that.

Reaction Score
No doubt what you say is true. But it is not unreasonable to consider the impact that losing DD to foul trouble for so long in the first half had on the boards and the game overall. Granted, the kid has been anything but a model of consistency, but he was coming off his best game by far, and he was going to be critical in this match-up because of the zone. We lost him literally, and then figuratively because he didn't do much when he returned. That part is on him. But the Ollie ejection sequence itself was a six-point swing at a critical time.

I don't think anyone is saying we would have won without getting jobbed. The problem some of us have is that we never got the chance to find out. There was still plenty of time left and we ultimately closed it to within six I think; we just didn't overcome a few extra obstacles, one of them being getting jobbed.

Heck, Shabazz had a drive with 2 minutes left right to the hoop, he was fouled hard, and no foul. Even that would have made it 2 possessions.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If anyone believes that the refs didn't have a profound effect on the game last night, then they weren't watching the game. Period. Yes, Louisville can point to the rebounding edge, and then I'll point to the foul line differential (both in made attempts and in appearances at the line). Not just the debacle with sending Ollie off, but allowing their guards to hand-check while ours got called for "finger on the jersey". I normally hold my tongue when it comes to slight disparities in the officiating....but last night was ridiculous...

Reaction Score

I wonder, do you think Harrell, Mathiang and Van Treese are still able to pull down a combined 19 rebounds and block 7 shots while sitting on the bench with foul trouble, where they belonged? Do you suppose their aggressive approach to the game might have changed, had they been called for a few of the fouls they committed?

The real impact of terrible and biased officiating is the cumulative effect, not just the impact on the play immediately at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom