Not giving up on team or season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Not giving up on team or season

Reaction Score
You remember losing to Wagner last year before the injuries set in right? In front of an almost full house a group of seniors and transfers were run off the court by a much less talented team. We didn't expect to be a powerhouse like JC once built immediately, but is it crazy to expect someone to step in and keep the program competitive? If not that atleast show growth over the years. This program is stagnant and the school and fans deserve better.

You remember we hired a guy as head coach who had no head coaching experience, right? We are who we thought we are....or whatever Denny Green said.

Reaction Score
Someone said Uconn has only beaten a ranked team once since the championship season.

Not true. As a quick side note, Uconn was 10-4 in the championship season vs ranked teams. That record was boosted by a 6-1 record in the post season in March as they were a more pedestrian 4-3 in the regular season. That 1 post season loss being the 10 point loss to Lville in the conference championship game.

Any way, since that season, they have been 3-14. Okay, not much better than 1, but still. Every win counts.

In 2014-15 they lost by 1, 8, 10 and 18. They won once by 8.
In 2015-16 they won by 6 and the classic 4 overtime by 7 over Cincy who I remember being ranked. They lost by 3, 10, 12 and 26.
Last year, sadly, they were 0-5 losing by 8, 10, 10, 14 and 20.
This year they are off to a 0-1 start with that 20 point loss but they have chances to get another Top 25 win.
So that all totals 3-14. Ya, not great but better than 1 win. sigh.

Reaction Score
Someone said Uconn has only beaten a ranked team once since the championship season.

Not true. As a quick side note, Uconn was 10-4 in the championship season vs ranked teams. That record was boosted by a 6-1 record in the post season in March as they were a more pedestrian 4-3 in the regular season. That 1 post season loss being the 10 point loss to Lville in the conference championship game.

Any way, since that season, they have been 3-14. Okay, not much better than 1, but still. Every win counts.

In 2014-15 they lost by 1, 8, 10 and 18. They won once by 8.
In 2015-16 they won by 6 and the classic 4 overtime by 7 over Cincy who I remember being ranked. They lost by 3, 10, 12 and 26.
Last year, sadly, they were 0-5 losing by 8, 10, 10, 14 and 20.
This year they are off to a 0-1 start with that 20 point loss but they have chances to get another Top 25 win.
So that all totals 3-14. Ya, not great but better than 1 win. sigh.

I said it, and corrected it.

We beat 2. SMU twice.

According to Wikipedia, Cinci was not ranked at the time we beat them.

Reaction Score
I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

Wooden/UCLA
Knight/Indiana
Thompson/Georgetown

Sometimes it's not a program, but a coach or a coach+program. That's us. Our play and our players were the embodiment of our coach. He willed the state and this program to become what they became....and now he's gone. And expecting anyone else to just pick it up and carry it forward is foolish. There's no recruit or offensive game plan that's going to ride in and save the day. Just accept it and love the team for what they are. Or don't.
No one expected another coach to pick up where Calhoun left off, but there is also a huge gap between Calhoun and what we have now. What Ollie has done with what he had passed down to him has been inexcusable. Sure no one could come in and be Calhoun, but they definitely could have done a better job at cultivating a positive culture, instituting a valid offense, garnering respect of players, and getting players to the league.

Reaction Score
There is a famous quote that I am sure many have heard but I am not sure who said it (first)...It is hard to replace a legend. Calhoun was a legend. Plain and simple, he built Uconn. Although I am not making excuses as Ollie has underperformed even by the standards of that quote. But we have seen it at some point, in the past, at UNC, Indiana, Kentucky, UCLA, Zona (with Lute) and we will likely see it soon at Cuse (though they seem to be struggling recently already), Duke and MSU when those two guys get old and retire. Kansas seems to have escaped that for the most part, though.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Any offense that starts with three passes as guys circle the perimeter immediately knocks 10 seconds off the shot clock. It is followed by a big or two setting a high pick n roll. One of the bigs will roll to the basket and never get a pass. Then some perimeter dribbling and a contested shot. That happened at least 20 times against Ark. I really enjoyed the time they finally passed to Carlton on the low block and he was immediately double teamed. He turned to look for a cutter but there was none because no one ever cuts in this offense. TL and one of the guards were on the weakside and never moved! Carlton turned the ball over. Not his fault. Until this team starts playing inside out they'll be in trouble. The outside out offense doesn't work. And counting on our guards to penetrate and draw fouls to put the other teams bigs in foul trouble is fools gold. Also, it is just not a fun offense to watch. It is predictable and boring. A team that averages more TO's than assists? Ouch.

Reaction Score
I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

Wooden/UCLA
Knight/Indiana
Thompson/Georgetown

Sometimes it's not a program, but a coach or a coach+program. That's us. Our play and our players were the embodiment of our coach. He willed the state and this program to become what they became....and now he's gone. And expecting anyone else to just pick it up and carry it forward is foolish. There's no recruit or offensive game plan that's going to ride in and save the day. Just accept it and love the team for what they are. Or don't.

I'm sad any fan could think this way. So Calhoun is gone so we're a mid major lets just give up and be happy about it? Oh and by the way we'll have a top ten paid coach and give him a free pass because hes not Calhoun.

Calhoun built a program and we currently have a dope who is completely lost running it into the ground.

Its not about saving the day, we need to get the human wrecking ball away from this program and get on track to being a dominate AAC team. There's a good chance you're right and the #1/#2 seeds in Tourney are gone, but it doesn't need to be this flaming bag of that Ollie is putting out there going on 3+ seasons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom