Not everyone loves Coach K | The Boneyard

Not everyone loves Coach K

Reaction Score
Just shows what a ruthless business recruiting is.

When five-star Wendell Carter Jr. committed to Duke in 2016, he was expected to become the Blue Devils' go-to big man of the future.

That was until Marvin Bagley III stunned many by committing to Duke in the summer of 2017 and subsequently reclassifying to play early.

"My initial reaction, I was pissed," Kylia Carter, Wendell's mom, told NBC Sports. "And it wasn't pissed because Marvin was coming. To be honest, I felt like that was information that was kept from us. It felt (shady), it felt like my baby was gonna get kicked to the curb. I felt like all of that."

Wendell Carter Jr.'s mom has beef with Coach K after Marvin Bagley came to Duke early

He still was the 7th pick in the draft. I think everything turned out pretty well for him.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you go to Duke and you’re surprised that they keep trying to recruit better players, that’s on you.

If you go to Iona and you’re surprised that they keep trying to recruit better players, that’s on you.

If you go to Hudson Valley Community College and you’re surprised that they keep trying to recruit better players, that’s on you, too.

Reaction Score
Just shows what a ruthless business recruiting is.

When five-star Wendell Carter Jr. committed to Duke in 2016, he was expected to become the Blue Devils' go-to big man of the future.

That was until Marvin Bagley III stunned many by committing to Duke in the summer of 2017 and subsequently reclassifying to play early.

"My initial reaction, I was pissed," Kylia Carter, Wendell's mom, told NBC Sports. "And it wasn't pissed because Marvin was coming. To be honest, I felt like that was information that was kept from us. It felt (shady), it felt like my baby was gonna get kicked to the curb. I felt like all of that."

Wendell Carter Jr.'s mom has beef with Coach K after Marvin Bagley came to Duke early

He still was the 7th pick in the draft. I think everything turned out pretty well for him.
Would she like some whine with that rat cheese?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If you go to Duke and you’re surprised that they keep trying to recruit better players, that’s on you.

If you go to Iona and you’re surprised that they keep trying to recruit better players, that’s on you.

If you go to Hudson Valley Community College and you’re surprised that they keep trying to recruit better players, that’s on you, too.
I guess KO was trying something truly different then.

Reaction Score
I understand what she's saying, but it worked out really well for wendell. He's in chicago, it's not the best situation, but it's not Sacramento

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score

True on paper but Iona and Hudson Valley don't have the media pull and essentially monopoly on the NBA Draft Big Board. At Iona when the coach promises his top target to be #1, and then recruits over him, he doesn't have the leverage to prevent the original recruit to declassify and go elsewhere.

At Duke Coack K does, he knows Carter is better off riding the bench in Durham than going somewhere else to be the #1 option like originally planned, and for Carter's professional career he isn't wrong. The problem is the media being in financial cahoots with certain programs over others, which manifests itself as Bagley "shocking the world" and a class full of top 10 recruits.

Reaction Score

Is that relevant to her point though? "Information that was kept from us" =/= "I expected them to turn down the #1 recruit in the country"

Carter was the #6 player in the country until Bagley re-classified. Of the five players in front of him, three had already committed (Porter eventually followed Romar to Mizzou) and the other was a guard. So if you value playing time/touches, it'd be pretty relevant to know whether an Andre Drummond situation is going to fall from the sky and cut into both those things.

I mean, the way things unfolded, this could have been prevented. Carter and Bagley turned out to be somewhat redundant, the team under-achieved, and Carter took less than nine shots per game despite being arguably their best player. I don't necessarily blame K, but it's a fair gripe.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
This sounds like a Kylia Carter problem, not a Mike Krzyzewski problem.

Poor Duke scholarship baby wasn't the star man of the team. Grow up.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Just wanna include, Wendell is a beast/monster though. Chicago got a really underrated star moving forward.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I hope UConn gets this type of press in the not too distant future.

Reaction Score
He was a top 5 recruit in the country. Probably it bit surprised they found someone better in early August.
This is true, but Carter's stock didn't end up falling at all. If anyone's stock fell out of those 2, it was Bagley's (not my take, but some people claimed he was an empty stats guy). Personally, I don't get the point of complaining about it now on his mom's part, but it's funny to see a parent openly complaining about Duke.

How Coach K convinced Bolden to stay last offseason baffles me. The kid would have been so much better off redshirting for Jamie Dixon this year (TCU was the rumor at the time).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think you're taking it way too literally. It's not a comparison I would make, but I thought it was pretty clear that anybody who does so is comparing them as systems and not human atrocities.

But they don't remotely compare as systems either. They're literally nothing alike.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Porter eventually followed Romar to Mizzou

Romar was an assistant at Arizona (one year only, now head coach at Pepperdine again where he got his first head coaching gig). Porter followed his dad to Mizzou when pops was hired as an assistant by Cuonzo Martin. The well traveled Mr. Porter was previously an assistant for Missouri women's team, then hired by Romar at UW, then let go and went back to Mizzou. What a strange saga all that was.

It gets even weirder if you look at the one year Porter, Jr. spent at Nathan Hale HS in Seattle. They had literally no tradition in hoops, ever. Porter and a bunch of other studs transferred in, first year coach Brandon Roy (former UW and Blazers star) cruised to an undefeated season and a State Championship. Then Roy and all the players bailed after 1 season at Hale and they went back to sucking again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom